• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Perm

Not sure about van Wyk in Tests TBH, though he's one of several options.

He must be getting on a bit now too.
He's 28, just a couple of years younger than Boucher, so I can't really see him getting much of a chance at Test level. Has the makings to be a good ODI batsman though, superb record in the shorter form of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's never failed to baffle me how he's never got a decent ODI chance, when the likes of Gibbs and de Villiers have (not without some justification, but nonetheless perhaps a bit less than the runs they got) had almost unwavering faith.

aussie

Would be brilliant stuff if the springbooks would unleash Steyn & Morkel together although its unlikely to happen.

TT Boy

Pakistan didn’t find Dale so ‘brilliant’ at Cape Town earlier this year...
Steyn took the openers, got the captain, Pakistan were rolled out for nothing and they lost the test match. Also considering most of the Pakistani batsman in that series were bounced out or struggled royally with accurate short pitch bowling (I say accurate which discounts Andre Nel, for his variety of short is either wide and four), I can’t see how they would find Morne Morkel a bundle of laughs.

TT Boy

Would be brilliant stuff if the springbooks would unleash Steyn & Morkel together although its unlikely to happen.
Steyn unless his injured will play, whilst Morkel given his performances in the last six month would be extremely unlucky not to feature.

Pup Clarke

Well Pollock, Ntini and Harris are probably certainties, Kallis will probably be 3rd change so that leaves Nel, Steyn and Morkel to fight for one place. Will be very interesting to see who gets it. :). I have a gut feeling that Nel might miss out.

TT Boy

If the wickets are anything like what we have seen in Pakistan in recent years, South Africa will need all the bowlers they can get.

However, Pakistan have Mohammed Asif and he has the number of AB, Gibbs, Amla and Boeta, so the extra batsman (preferably someone who is left handed) might be needed.

shortpitched713

Would love to see Saqlain get a recall but I somehow doubt it will happen. :sleep:

This is the Pakistan team I'd like to see for the 1st test...

Hafeez
Hameed
Younis
Yousuf
Inzamam
Malik
Akmal
Saqlain
Gul
Asif
Kaneria
As long as we're talking about the team we'd like to see, this is the team I'd like to see for the first Test:

Abdul Razzaq (I'd like for him to morph into a Test quality opener who can give us ten good overs per innings)
Imran Farhat
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf* (I'd like for him to be captain, most under appreciated player in the Pakistan setup)
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Shahid Afridi
Kamran Akmal+ (I'd like for him to be able to hold a catch)
Shoaib Akhtar (I'd like for him to become a team man with a brain)
Umar Gul (Perfect human being)
Danish Kaneria
Mohammad Asif

I know, I'm living in cloud cuckoo land. :laugh:

pup11

Shouldn't Morne Van Wyk be in the South African squad too?
I also think its about time Makhaya Ntini improves on his average bowling record in the sub-continent, its a really important series for South Africa as they haven't won a test-series outside South Africa for a long time (barring a series win in Bangladesh).

Mr Mxyzptlk

I also think its about time Makhaya Ntini improves on his average bowling record in the sub-continent
It goes without saying, but he'll need to greatly improve on the rhythm he's displayed over recent months. He looks to be seriously off the boil for the most part. It's hard to see why though, because he's virtually never unfit.

shortpitched713

High hopes, given that he's technically retired.
And that he's only opened twice in 77 Test innings, scoring 22 and 1.
Not at all serious with that one, although if he could do that it would bring some nice balance to the team. Hes a good bowler though, and a big loss for the Pakistan Test team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
High hopes, given that he's technically retired.
And that he's only opened twice in 77 Test innings, scoring 22 and 1.
And Michael Holding's reaction when first Knight dropped him then Caddick bowled him was the best IMO:
"But Beefy I have to say I am not surprised, not that Nick Knight has dropped that catch but that Abdur Razzaq has edged that ball into the slip cordon, he should not be opening the batting"
"Well Pakistan are one down, but it is a needless sacrifice. Abdur Razzaq should not be out there. He should not be opening the batting"

Was madness that they opened with him, and they only did it because Salim Elahi, the specialst opener picked at Lord's, had scored a pair.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the wickets are anything like what we have seen in Pakistan in recent years, South Africa will need all the bowlers they can get.
Never mind the recent years, been like that since time immemorial virtually. Still, you can pick seven bowlers and it won't make things much easier.
However, Pakistan have Mohammed Asif and he has the number of AB, Gibbs, Amla and Boeta, so the extra batsman (preferably someone who is left handed) might be needed.
Asif has the number of most batsmen, really. Nonetheless, he hasn't played at home all that much yet.

TT Boy

As posted in the English domestic thread…

According to SuperSport, Neil McKenzie not Herschelle Gibbs is Graeme Smith’s new test partner. Although, McKenzie does have competition, the same man he battled some years ago for a place in South Africa’s middle order, Boeta Dippenaar. Surprising news if this does happen for McKenzie isn’t a recognized opener but a number four by trade.

SuperSport also states that Shaun Pollock is likely to be ‘rested’, with the rationale being Pakistani wickets are no longer suited for his type of bowling. If this does occur it nigh on confirms that Pollock will probably retire from test cricket in the near future. Shaun recently said that he doesn’t see himself playing test cricket for much longer and the West Indian series at home could be his last as a test player for South Africa. If Pollock is indeed ‘rested‘, Morne Morkel is seemingly going to be his replacement.

Squad is selected on Thursday, so it would be fascinating to see if SuperSport are correct.