• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

Beamer

A ton for Da Silva. Apparently Oshane bowled a really hostile spell and he got through it. Great signs.

Howe_zat

It's been a great day for people who haven't a dog's chance of playing in the first test. At the time of writing Bracey is 82*, Dan Lawrence has come in and started striking at a run a ball, and Jamie Overton is into his third over, which is an overachievement considering he isn't playing.

Edit: Joverton has got a wicket now with a leg side strangle. Very effective for someone who was not picked.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

It's been a great day for people who haven't a dog's chance of playing in the first test. At the time of writing Bracey is 82*, Dan Lawrence has come in and started striking at a run a ball, and Jamie Overton is into his third over, which is an overachievement considering he isn't playing.
Wut

Beamer

Holders XI 272 all out.

Da Silva 133 not out, Joseph 38, Ambris 25

McSween cleaned up the tail to get 3/28. Holder 2/35, Philip 1/16, Thomas 1/24, Mindley 1/32, Cornwall 1/32, Harding 1/69

Beamer

Braithwaite XI 8/2

Campbell and Braithwaite both caught at slip. A wicket each to Gabriel and Roach

Sigh. It might be a miserable old tour for our openers......

Edit: 9/3. Hope bowled by Gabriel

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Dobell was playing up Lawrence's chances of playing in Root's spot for the first Test before the warm up game started. I'd assumed in reality he'd be behind Bairstow for that slot but looks like he's not doing himself any harm.

Hope Stone isn't injured again.

Howe_zat

Yeah Lawrence played well, though I missed a lot of the afternoon. Out to Anderson who has bowled much better with the second new ball than the first.

Curran has come in at seven, ahead of Woakes.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Dobell was playing up Lawrence's chances of playing in Root's spot for the first Test before the warm up game started. I'd assumed in reality he'd be behind Bairstow for that slot but looks like he's not doing himself any harm.

Hope Stone isn't injured again.
Sounds like Stone does have a tight hamstring. From what i've heard he seems to work hard on his fitness, but he just can't stay fit.

I'd assumed they just pick all of Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Denly for the first test, and then bring back Root for Denly or Crawley in the second test. You'd think if they brought in Lawrence/Bairstow for Denly that would certainly end his career, as he'd be behind the newcomer and Root. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense bringing in a newcomer like Lawrence if you are going to have to drop him one test later to accomodate the return of Root (which would almost certainly happen). I'd guess Lawrence will have to wait his chance. I don't want to see Bairstow back at 4 that's for sure.

Beamer

Our testing batting line up is now 49/5 versus our test pacers batting in murky conditions under floodlights.

Tbh nothing new here, our bowlers are excellent and our batsmen are not. Was hoping one of them would at least get a little 50 though. Braithwaite, Campbell, Hope, Brooks and Chase are all gone. Dowrich isn't playing due to his side injury. So I guess that is that.

Howe_zat

Buttler XI 287/5 at the close after having been put in to bat, then.

No one got a hundred and no one took more than two wickets. It was a bit limp. But I liked the cut of Lawrence's jib.

Red_Ink_Squid

I'd assumed they just pick all of Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Denly for the first test, and then bring back Root for Denly or Crawley in the second test. You'd think if they brought in Lawrence/Bairstow for Denly that would certainly end his career, as he'd be behind the newcomer and Root. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense bringing in a newcomer like Lawrence if you are going to have to drop him one test later to accomodate the return of Root (which would almost certainly happen). I'd guess Lawrence will have to wait his chance. I don't want to see Bairstow back at 4 that's for sure.
Well, he'd still have that white ball central contract...

Yeah your idea makes more sense, not least because a Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Lawrence top 4 would have approximately 0 Test caps between them. With Pope there too we're not exactly crying out for another debutant batsman.

Howe_zat

I'd keep Denly at three and not worry about shoehorning Zak Crawley into the test side just yet.

Bijed

Yeah, Crawley exceeded expectations in South Africa but he was hardly incredible (although genuinely quite ok for a recent English opener) his time will come in a year or two, him missing out now is not an outrage

Lillian Thomson

This England match is a bit of throwback to the old days of the "Test Trial" that ended in the mid 70's. It used to be a proper First Class match in the old days. I remember in 1974 Geoff Boycott made a century in each innings, and then two Tests later disappeared for three years.

Howe_zat

The other lot are batting today. Jennings is opening ahead of Crawley. Broad is bowling in a bandana.

Howe_zat

James Bracey doing well yesterday gets us closer to a full XI of current or soon-ish 'J' England players

James, Jason, Joe, Joe, James, Jonny, Jos, Jofra, Jack, Jimmy, Jake.

Recalls for Roy, Vince and Ball are less than likely but no one else feels completely out of place. If Stokes and Broad cop injuries we'd be close to it

Last edited: