• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

GoodAreasShane

Wonder what the team balance would be for WI, usually I would argue Holder is easily good enough with the bat to go for extra bowling, but with some patchy warm up form I'm not as sure now. The batting looks as frail as ever up top but it's not like England are that much better off, especially without Root to provide his trademark nice 70odd

Possible XI

Brathwaite
Campbell
Brooks
Hope
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Cornwall
Roach
Joseph
Gabriel

Flem274*

123/5
englands batting is a lot better imo. burns is like glue, denly is up for it and stokes is stokes.

as usual with the windies since lara and chanderpaul there's ability but no stickability and guys who started with a hiss and a roar only to fade away. they'll get skittled for under 100 a couple of times imo. england at home isn't fun for touring batsmen.

GoodAreasShane

englands batting is a lot better imo. burns is like glue, denly is up for it and stokes is stokes.

as usual with the windies since lara and chanderpaul there's ability but no stickability and guys who started with a hiss and a roar only to fade away. they'll get skittled for under 100 a couple of times imo. england at home isn't fun for touring batsmen.
Agree on Burns and Stokes, Denly not so much

I really hope we unleash Chemar in the first test
Kid is an absolute weapon, has a huge future ahead of him. Spent a bit of time in my neck of the woods so I'm a touch biased but I genuinely think he could be the next fast bowler to truly explode into international cricket

JOJOXI

How do we rate Joseph's batting in the group? Not suggesting he's an allrounder of any sorts or anything but has got a few enterprising knocks to his name in recent months. With Roach a reasonably determined tail ender with some stickability if its decided Joseph isn't an absolute bunny hopefully Cornwall starts. If they deem Roach, Joseph and Gabriel as a relatively hopeless tail, I can see West Indies picking an extra batsman or going with someone like a Reifer who bulks up the lower middle order and adds a left arm angle. No doubt Cornwall has shown he can bat in domestic cricket but he hasn't got many runs in his first couple Tests and not many in the warmup game.

GoodAreasShane

How do we rate Joseph's batting in the group? Not suggesting he's an allrounder of any sorts or anything but has got a few enterprising knocks to his name in recent months. With Roach a reasonably determined tail ender with some stickability if its decided Joseph isn't an absolute bunny hopefully Cornwall starts. If they deem Roach, Joseph and Gabriel as a relatively hopeless tail, I can see West Indies picking an extra batsman or going with someone like a Reifer who bulks up the lower middle order and adds a left arm angle. No doubt Cornwall has shown he can bat in domestic cricket but he hasn't got many runs in his first couple Tests and not many in the warmup game.
He goes for it, that's for sure. Can hit it a looooong way can Joseph, has a decent eye but from what I've seen can be prone to some more than questionable shot selection.

Vaugely Southeeesque I would say

flibbertyjibber

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Denly
Pope
Stokes
Buttler
Woakes
Bess
Archer
Broad
Wood
Anderson

Is the squad so presume Wood and Woakes miss out.

honestbharani

Yeah... he thrashes us everytime we play over there with both bat and ball, so my impression may well be colored by that.

grecian

I am surprised at no Leach have to say.

Yet in the end it seems about 3 decades ago, but our last test Series was a success, and this is the nucleus. Perhaps as simple as that, with Root and Curran ruled out, but Archer fit. With no real cricket since to judge on, perhaps sensible.

Howe_zat

I'd probably have included Foakes ahead of Buttler but I'm still hopeful for the latter.

That top four is shaky as ****. It went alright in SA I guess. I can see why you'd not want to debut Lawrence until the likes of Sibley and Pope are more firmly established though.

Beamer

Wonder what the team balance would be for WI, usually I would argue Holder is easily good enough with the bat to go for extra bowling, but with some patchy warm up form I'm not as sure now. The batting looks as frail as ever up top but it's not like England are that much better off, especially without Root to provide his trademark nice 70odd

Possible XI

Brathwaite
Campbell
Brooks
Hope
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Cornwall
Roach
Joseph
Gabriel
That's the team right there. Can't see any other combination picked. Picking Reiter ahead of Cornwall would be s big mistake, that's the only other combination I see.

honestbharani

If Pope is at 5, I would say top 5 is shaky. It is very much risky when your most experienced batsman in the top 6 is batting at 6, although I suppose it is a risk you can take since its the Windies who have pretty brittle batting themselves and you are playing at home.