• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poker

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oooooh painful.
Very. My own fault totally as well, which makes it worse. I was dealt two Kings so bet $10. Two players called & the flop was three 2s. Everyone checked. 6 comes on the turn & everyone checks, then 7 on the river. First guy checks so I chucked $10 in thinking Kings must be favourite, third guy folds but first guy re-raises to $20.

Probably should have folded here.... :ph34r:

But I went all in with what I had (nearly $50) & of course **** had the 4th 2. He called $10 on A-2, would you believe? :-O

open365

Why on Earth did you go all in???!!!!!

There's no point raising him on the river because he's likely to only call you if he has a better hand, gah.

Bobisback

The way that hand was played, BoyBrumby assumed he was good on the river. He thought maybe the guy hit the 7, and all he was doing was trying to get more money. You played the hand, well the river, right, but you were unlucky. That happens in poker.

cover drive man

Very. My own fault totally as well, which makes it worse. I was dealt two Kings so bet $10. Two players called & the flop was three 2s. Everyone checked. 6 comes on the turn & everyone checks, then 7 on the river. First guy checks so I chucked $10 in thinking Kings must be favourite, third guy folds but first guy re-raises to $20.

Probably should have folded here.... :ph34r:

But I went all in with what I had (nearly $50) & of course **** had the 4th 2. He called $10 on A-2, would you believe? :-O
Slow play. It's also why he checked after the flop to wait for someone (Unfortunately for you that was you) To make a hand and fall into his little trap. Unlucky.

Last edited:

open365

Bobisback;1293332]The way that hand was played, BoyBrumby assumed he was good on the river. He thought maybe the guy hit the 7, and all he was doing was trying to get more money. You played the hand, well the river, right, but you were unlucky. That happens in poker.
http://www.internettexasholdem.com/...betting-the-river-if-you-think-you-are-ahead/

There's no value going all in on the river when the guy's already raised you, he's probably only going to call with a hand that's better than yours, and you're going to lose your stack in one hand.

Anytime the board is pair (or tripled) and someone check-raises you, alarm bells should start ringing.

cpr

Anytime the board is pair (or tripled) and someone check-raises you, alarm bells should start ringing.

Very true. Dont consider myself too bad a poker player, never really have enough time/patience/decent connection to play online

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Probably should have folded here....

But I went all in with what I had (nearly $50) & of course **** had the 4th 2. He called $10 on A-2, would you believe?
Two things. The pot had about $30-$40 I assume, so you needed to bet right on the flop. That way you could tell who had a hand, and who was trying to draw out.

With that said, the only hands that could beat you were two aces or a two. Check raise should really send out some flags, but he could very well have a lower pair than yours and still make that bet, so I am not sure if the play was horrible. Calling is a weak move, and I might have folded, but then again I might not have. That six and seven really killed you. If an ace came on the turn or river, the fold would have been much easier, but he could quite conceivably have a lower full house. But open365 is right that going all in was a bit over the top if he check raised you. I would certainly have called. The all in move is real iffy as you are showing great strength, and he would only make that call if he thinks he has you beat.

In the end, that type of play isn't really going to break your bank in the long term and I wouldn't really kill myself over it.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Personally I feel people fold too often to check-raises, to the extent that I use it to bluff a lot.
Personally, I really don't like check raising. It's a good move if it shocks your opponent, but it loses its meaning if you do it too much. In the end, you are probably losing a little bit more money than you would otherwise, especially if they call.

simmy

Guys, I am now a professional poker player.

Playing shorthanded cash games almost exclusively. If anyone needs any help then I am happy to help them with their game. If anyone is serious about playing and trying to win money then I can seriously recommend CardRunners (google it cos I dont want to link it!)

cover drive man

:O

I haven't made one of them in 9 months and i'm an addict.
Well I do play for about four hours a day so I was bound to get one some time.

Guys, I am now a professional poker player.

Playing shorthanded cash games almost exclusively. If anyone needs any help then I am happy to help them with their game. If anyone is serious about playing and trying to win money then I can seriously recommend CardRunners (google it cos I dont want to link it!)
Well done mate.

simmy

Cheers lol.

I recently graduated but after winning £8000 a month on average for the previous 5 months... getting a "real job" was never on the cards.

Plus I don't pay incomes tax :D