• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poker

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pre flop, if they had an ace they would've had me up the creek without a paddle. But I was thinking on the lines of dama being very loose who'd already made a few crazy all ins. And the small stack all in being a bit desperate. But yeah, it's a fold.
You're only asking for advice because you'd have won the hand. Swap the King that flopped for a Jack and you wouldn't be asking the question.

The presence of a loose stack doesn't really change anything either. The short stack might have been getting desperate and decided to chance an all in with anything, but most players, regardless of how loose they are, certainly won't re-raise an all in unless they're holding something. The loose player has probably factored in the "might be raising all in with Ax in desperation" factor, hence his all in re-raise with a low pair.

Tom Halsey

Pretty comfortable fold even if you had AK or JJ, QQ is close. Also it's poor etiquette to include the result of a hand when asking for advice on it.
Lol admittedly I don't play Sit & Go's but there is basically no reasonable range anyone can possibly have here that make AK or JJ even close to a fold. I know Sit & Go regs are nits but even they are going to have a range more than wide enough, readless (which I assume this is) it'd be even more of a snap with either hand, AQ would be more of a decision. KQ a clear fold.

EDIT: AQ is a call in terms of chip EV, my ICM knowledge is rusty at best though, so it may not actually be a call (I'd lean towards calling though), I imagine it's close but as I say I don't play Sit & Go's.

Last edited:

Uppercut

My bad, thought he was calling off his whole stack.

I just ran the calculation. Turns out a call here is good with 77+, ATs+, AJo+.

cover drive man

I know I shouldn't have slow played the kings pre flop but I felt with being in an early position there was a chance I'd get a raise elsewhere. But anyway, is this the right fold?

TEXAS_HOLDEM, NO_LIMIT, T5-225338736-17
played at "Table #2" for USD TC from 2012-03-16 05:05 until 2012-03-16 05:06

Seat 1: A (1,755 in chips)
Seat 3: B (990 in chips)
Seat 4: C (2,350 in chips)
Seat 6: D (1,300 in chips)
Seat 7: E (4,170 in chips)
Seat 8: jnewton94 (1,800 in chips)
Seat 10: F (2,635 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
C posts small blind (25), D posts big blind (50),

PRE-FLOP
E folds, jnewton94 (KK) calls 50, F calls 50, A folds, B folds, C calls 50, D checks.

FLOP [board cards: QH,9H,AC ]
C checks, D checks, jnewton94 bets 200, F calls 200, C13 folds, D folds.

TURN [board cards: QH,9H,AC,3S ]
jnewton94 checks, F bets 250, jnewton94 folds.

Days of Grace

Lost 10,000 yen after being up almost 20,000 until about an hour remaining of our no limit 4-player hold'em.

The crunch came when I had pocket 2s, raised pre-flop, and the flop came 3 Aces, now heads up. I raised and called until the final card, where my opponent showed a 10, which paired the turn in what was now a huge pot.

Should I have just folded when he raised for the first time?

Oh course, yes, but the thing with this guy is that he had been raising me all night and a couple of times at least showed his hole cards to be nothing after I folded. How do you handle someone like that? Just wait till you know you have the best hand and just keep raising him? What if he keeps calling for his straight/flush?

Uppercut

The mistake you made was thinking your hand was stronger than it was. It's really extremely weak on that flop so you don't want to be calling a raise and if you're betting in the first place it's as a pure bluff. And given your read on him, that's almost definitely a mistake.

Aggressive players are very difficult to play against. The easiest way is just to avoid getting into too many pots with them, especially out of position.

Days of Grace

Agreed. I took him for a few pots but unfortunately they weren't worth as much as the one later on which lost me basically my entire stack. The seeds were sown for that hand about 2 hours before when he made me fold an AK and laughingly showed me his 3-2. At the end, I had 2000 yen left and decided to go all-in heads up against the same player on an A-6o after the flop came A-6-and some other card. Of course, he called me, and showed an AJ. And, of course, the final widow card was a Jack. FFS.

I think the lesson I learned was never to overvalue small pocket pairs and Ace-rags, even in an aggressive short handed game.

I shouldn't even be playing these guys yet, having only been playing really for 6 months on and off and reading a few books on the game. But it is the only game I know of in town at the moment.

They were all commenting on how well I was playing until that fatal hand.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agreed. I took him for a few pots but unfortunately they weren't worth as much as the one later on which lost me basically my entire stack. The seeds were sown for that hand about 2 hours before when he made me fold an AK and laughingly showed me his 3-2. At the end, I had 2000 yen left and decided to go all-in heads up against the same player on an A-6o after the flop came A-6-and some other card. Of course, he called me, and showed an AJ. And, of course, the final widow card was a Jack. FFS.

I think the lesson I learned was never to overvalue small pocket pairs and Ace-rags, even in an aggressive short handed game.

I shouldn't even be playing these guys yet, having only been playing really for 6 months on and off and reading a few books on the game. But it is the only game I know of in town at the moment.

They were all commenting on how well I was playing until that fatal hand.
Much prefer playing random cards to Ax, it's so much easier to play them post flop.

The key thing once the flop is dealt is to forget how strong your hand looked pre-flop. 3 of a kind flopping is one of the worst possible flops when you're holding a low pair.

Days of Grace

Much prefer playing random cards to Ax, it's so much easier to play them post flop.

The key thing once the flop is dealt is to forget how strong your hand looked pre-flop. 3 of a kind flopping is one of the worst possible flops when you're holding a low pair.
Because there is no way for your hand to improve, right?

How about Ace-rags? What are you looking for on the flop? 3 of a kind minimum? Could you withstand a bet after flopping a pair of aces?

Uppercut

The answer to all of those questions is "it depends". Just don't play them, you'll save yourself a lot of money.