• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Political Correctness Gone Mad

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was certainly the case for a long time that 'political correctness gone mad' was a phrase used by bigots who were unhappy that it was no longer deemed acceptable for them to dish out racist and homophobic slurs.

While that use still prevails, all I really wanted to get out there in this thread is that there are also times that the phrase is legitimate. For example Ryan Gosling thanked his side in an award acceptance speech, because she took time out from her own career to look after their kid, enabling him to continue to pursue his.

This was greeted with this article: Ryan Gosling?s Golden Globes speech about Eva Mendes wasn't cute, it was sexist | The Independent

An absurd manner of seeking an agenda. An all too common occurrence whenever anybody says, well, anything.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, I agree with the premise behind the article. There will be loads of men who have been helped by their wives the same way Gosling has, there will be very few women, actresses or otherwise, who if they were givimg an awards acceptance speech would be able to stand up and thank their husbands for taking time out of their careers.

Part of this is because men who choose to care for their children/relatives are themselves victims of sexism.

Last edited:

Burgey

Corrin is becoming like an Alan Jones// Ray Hadley devotee before our very eyes here. Needs sorting out.

Next time I'm in the UK I'll explain to you at length over a beer why you're wrong and set you straight.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, I agree with the premise behind the article. There will be loads of men who have been helped by their wives the same way Gosling has, there will be very few women, actresses or otherwise, who if they were givimg an awards acceptance speech would be able to stand up and thank their husbands for taking time out of their careers.

Part of this is because men who choose to care for their children/relatives are themselves victims of sexism.
Nonsense. There is a very steady theme of castigation of women who would prefer to be homemakers, who would prefer to be full-time mums while their husband works, who would prefer to work part-time so they are home for the school run.

Such males exist, but will always be a minority. Simple reason is: human nature. If you ask most women who have had a child whether they'd rather go straight back to work and their husband see it through, or be the stay at home mum, you'd get an overwhelming majority opting for the latter. It also is biologically logical, as not only can men not breast feed (and yes women can express but young breast fed babies will not always take the bottle) but having a baby can take some time to recover from, especially if a woman has had a C-section.

At the end of the day it's about what works for each family. Societal norms aren't always based in sexism; in most cases for a man and a woman raising a child, the woman doing the brunt of the early childcare and the man paying the bills works. Fair play to those who do it the other way round, but it's not sexist, or negative, that it happens that way.

harsh.ag

That's fine and true, but why would him thanking his wife for doing that be sexist?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Corrin is becoming like an Alan Jones// Ray Hadley devotee before our very eyes here. Needs sorting out.

Next time I'm in the UK I'll explain to you at length over a beer why you're wrong and set you straight.
Nah ****

Like I say, 'PC gone mad' is a slur often used by the indefensible. I'll never dispute this so I never use the phrase. But there is an undercurrent of things that actually do fall in. This isn't about #freedom. I'm not blaming the government. I actually think what I have in mind is stuff you'd largely agree with. Get over here and we can discuss in the Pen & Wig.

DriveClub

Yeah hate this social media driven journalism where everyone needs to get their puff piece out to promote pseudo progressiveness. Getting all a bit toxic.

DriveClub

Especially hate these current 2 minute instant news videos on facebook etc. They're the worst, a news cannot be told or discussed in 2 minutes period.

Burgey

Nah ****

Like I say, 'PC gone mad' is a slur often used by the indefensible. I'll never dispute this so I never use the phrase. But there is an undercurrent of things that actually do fall in. This isn't about #freedom. I'm not blaming the government. I actually think what I have in mind is stuff you'd largely agree with. Get over here and we can discuss in the Pen & Wig.
Aphrodites ftw

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's fine and true, but why would him thanking his wife for doing that be sexist?
It's not.

But the click bait headline doesn't reflect the substance of the article - that the 'societal norms' GIMH references are sexist. Society expects that women fulfil a caring role, whether that is for children or for seriously ill or elderly relatives. Society expects that men will go out and earn money for the family to survive.

These societal norms negatively impact both genders. There is state sponsored sexism in the UK at least because paternity leave is much more restricted than maternity leave. This applies across a lot of private sector companies - in my own work the leave I am entitled to and the level of pay I would get after the birth of a child is negatively impacted by my gender. Which both discriminates against me and also reinforces the mother as primary care giver cultural stereotype which negatively affects women in the workplace.

And on a personal level, I'm about to move role into one which should give a greater degree of flexibility in my working hours. I'm planning on requesting a compressed working week so I fit my hours into 4 days, not 5, allowing me to take a far more equitable role in raising my daughter and allowing me to split custosy equally with my ex rather than the 5/7 split we currently have. I would feel a lot more confident in this request being agreed if I were female.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's not.

But the click bait headline doesn't reflect the substance of the article - that the 'societal norms' GIMH references are sexist. Society expects that women fulfil a caring role, whether that is for children or for seriously ill or elderly relatives. Society expects that men will go out and earn money for the family to survive.

These societal norms negatively impact both genders. There is state sponsored sexism in the UK at least because paternity leave is much more restricted than maternity leave. This applies across a lot of private sector companies - in my own work the leave I am entitled to and the level of pay I would get after the birth of a child is negatively impacted by my gender. Which both discriminates against me and also reinforces the mother as primary care giver cultural stereotype which negatively affects women in the workplace.

And on a personal level, I'm about to move role into one which should give a greater degree of flexibility in my working hours. I'm planning on requesting a compressed working week so I fit my hours into 4 days, not 5, allowing me to take a far more equitable role in raising my daughter and allowing me to split custosy equally with my ex rather than the 5/7 split we currently have. I would feel a lot more confident in this request being agreed if I were female.
By all means make the law equal for men and women in terms of splitting maternity/paternity, but let's not pretend the societal norm is a sexist concept. It exists because of nature, because in most cases it's what the mother wants.

harsh.ag

By all means make the law equal for men and women in terms of splitting maternity/paternity, but let's not pretend the societal norm is a sexist concept. It exists because of nature, because in most cases it's what the mother wants.
Has a lot to do with conditioning as well. Both factors are important, and indeed form a feedback loop. Think what is now being tried is to try and break the conditioning loop and see where that leads us.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Because of nature or because we've been conditioned this way?

Uppercut

Nature is sexist as **** tbf.

Howe_zat

Nature can **** off tbh. If your argument comes from nature you can spend a year living as a leopard and see how well it treats you

We've got past nature. That's what society is, y'know, for