• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Racial profiling AI

Spark

Global Moderator
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/...artificial-intelligence-racial-profiling.html

Now, documents and interviews show that the authorities are also using a vast, secret system of advanced facial recognition technology to track and control the Uighurs, a largely Muslim minority. It is the first known example of a government intentionally using artificial intelligence for racial profiling, experts said.

The facial recognition technology, which is integrated into China’s rapidly expanding networks of surveillance cameras, looks exclusively for Uighurs based on their appearance and keeps records of their comings and goings for search and review. The practice makes China a pioneer in applying next-generation technology to watch its people, potentially ushering in a new era of automated racism.

The technology and its use to keep tabs on China’s 11 million Uighurs were described by five people with direct knowledge of the systems, who requested anonymity because they feared retribution. The New York Times also reviewed databases used by the police, government procurement documents and advertising materials distributed by the A.I. companies that make the systems.
Putting aside how the world's mostly obviously fascist state is indulging its fascism in full view with barely a whisper of complaint from so called "defenders of Muslims", I cannot think of a single entity on the planet now or ever that I would trust with technology like this. This is bad, bad, bad news.

Top_Cat

The A.I. companies have taken money from major investors. Fidelity International and Qualcomm Ventures were a part of a consortium that invested $620 million in SenseTime. Sequoia invested in Yitu. Megvii is backed by Sinovation Ventures, the fund of the well-known Chinese tech investor Kai-Fu Lee.
Very curious who. Over/under on that Peter Thiel guy being in on this?

A Sinovation spokeswoman said the fund had recently sold a part of its stake in Megvii and relinquished its seat on the board. Fidelity declined to comment. Sequoia and Qualcomm did not respond to emailed requests for comment.

Mr. Lee, a booster of Chinese A.I., has argued that China has an advantage in developing A.I. because its leaders are less fussed by “legal intricacies” or “moral consensus.”
**** you, you absolute scumbag.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Automated algorithmic profiling/machine learning that reinforces/extends racial/cultural biases has been a thing for at least ten years. It's another thing that people in the know have been warning about for years, but for some reason only now people are beginning to realise "oh wait...this is pretty bad news".

Ausage

Both an insane and a completely predictable outcome of a state having such comprehensive power over its people.

Any western corporation who helped them in this (glances suspiciously at Google) deserves the condemnation usually reserved for a mildly inappropriate Twitter post.

Spark

Global Moderator
Both an insane and a completely predictable outcome of a state having such comprehensive power over its people.

Any western corporation who helped them in this (glances suspiciously at Google) deserves the condemnation usually reserved for a mildly inappropriate Twitter post.
I don't think this is even a state vs. corporations thing. Literally no one should have this technology unencumbered, at least not until an awful lot of thinking and hashing out has been done.

ankitj

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/...artificial-intelligence-racial-profiling.html

Putting aside how the world's mostly obviously fascist state is indulging its fascism in full view with barely a whisper of complaint from so called "defenders of Muslims", I cannot think of a single entity on the planet now or ever that I would trust with technology like this. This is bad, bad, bad news.
China is a defender of Muslims. Look at how they go out on one limb to defend likes of Masud Azhar.

Spark

Global Moderator
China is a defender of Muslims. Look at how they go out on one limb to defend likes of Masud Azhar.
I’m sure that will be of great comfort to a million plus locked up in concentration camps.

But you already knew that.