• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recently Retired Test and ODI XI

haroon510

i was wondering if we make a test and one day XI from most recent players who have retired would the team be better than Current Aus, Sa, India and other teams?

we can start with year 2005 to 2008.. during these years alot of big cricketers retired that includes the light of Warne, MaGrath, Brian Lara, Inzi, Gilly, Pollock and so on.. so lets make an XI out of these players for both Test and one day..

Perm

Justin Langer
Sanath Jayasuriya
Brian Lara
Damien Martyn
Graham Thorpe
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Adam Gilchrist
Shaun Pollock
Shane Warne
Shane Bond
Glenn McGrath

Struggling to think of a #6 TBH. There has probaly been somebody better than Dippenaar too.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Struggling to think of a #6 TBH.
Andy Flower. He effectively made himself unavailable for international cricket after 2003 World Cup, but he didn't officially retire from cricket until just recently.

Perm said:
Shane Bond
He hasn't retired. He's available for selection - his ICL contract even allows him to be released for international duties - he's just not being selected. Big difference, IMO.

haroon510

Justin Langer
Boeta Dippenaar
Damien Martyn
Brian Lara
Inzamam-ul-Haq

Adam Gilchrist
Shaun Pollock
Shane Warne
Shane Bond
Glenn McGrath

Struggling to think of a #6 TBH. There has probaly been somebody better than Dippenaar too.

What about Astle? i think he was better than Dippenaar and then Justin Lingar and Sanath Jayasuriya (test only).

my test XI

1 Sanath Jayasuriya
2 Justin Linger
3 Nathen Astle
4 Brian Lara
5 Inzamam Ul Haq
6 Damien Martyn
7 Adam Gilchrist
8 Shaun Pollock
9 Shane Warne
10 Shane Bond
11 Glen McGrath

Perm

Andy Flower. He effectively made himself unavailable for international cricket after 2003 World Cup, but he didn't officially retire from cricket until just recently.
Had forgotten about him, was more thinking along the lines of those who had played international cricket and then retired. Russel Arnold is another option I suppose.

He hasn't retired. He's available for selection - his ICL contract even allows him to be released for international duties - he's just not being selected. Big difference, IMO.
Hmm, you're right. Haven't been fully involved in the whole saga, so that explains that. If we're talking purely about retirements then I suppose Langer, Lara and McGrath could be ruled out, as they still play domestic cricket. Last time I checked anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If we're talking purely about retirements then I suppose Langer, Lara and McGrath could be ruled out, as they still play domestic cricket. Last time I checked anyway.
Yeah, but if you're picking a Test eleven, those who have retired from Tests should be considered, IMO

Flower is a bit of a funny one because, despite not actually being available for ages, he hadn't actually retired from Tests as such, to my knowledge, until he retired from all cricket.

Perm said:
Russel Arnold is another option I suppose.
As is Darren Lehmann.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

Justin Langer
Boeta Dippenaar
Damien Martyn
Brian Lara
Inzamam-ul-Haq

Adam Gilchrist
Shaun Pollock
Shane Warne
Shane Bond
Glenn McGrath

I'd take Sanath over Dippenaar any day of the week.

Perm

Prefer Atapattu myself, but I have a feeling Jayasuriya would come out on top statistically.
Well I knew you'd take Atapattu, being the technique lover you are :p

FTR, Atapattu as a Test opener against Test class sides. Jayasuriya under the same criteria.

Must be noted that Atapattu scored two centuries (170 and 249) against Zimbabwe in 2004, after most people consider them to have ceased being Test standard, while Jayasuriya scored 157 and 48. Also worth noting that Jayasuriya has been in terminal decline since 2004/2005.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well I knew you'd take Atapattu, being the technique lover you are :p

FTR, Atapattu as a Test opener against Test class sides. Jayasuriya under the same criteria.

Must be noted that Atapattu scored two centuries (170 and 249) against Zimbabwe in 2004, after most people consider them to have ceased being Test standard, while Jayasuriya scored 157 and 48. Also worth noting that Jayasuriya has been in terminal decline since 2004/2005.
10 tests against Zimbabwe for an average of nearly 100 makes Atapattu's stats look a tad better than they would be otherwise, however the dreadful start to his career should be taken into account as well.. I don't usually like taking parts of a player's career away for no real reason, but the run of low scores he had at the start was a ridiculous anomaly.

Perm

10 tests against Zimbabwe for an average of nearly 100 makes Atapattu's stats look a tad better than they would be otherwise, however the dreadful start to his career should be taken into account as well.. I don't usually like taking parts of a player's career away for no real reason, but the run of low scores he had at the start was a ridiculous anomaly.
Considering none of them were as an opener, then I don't think we have a problem ;)

haroon510

Only better than Astle in that line-up, so I suppose he could replace him. If Rich wasn't banned it'd be interesting to hear his thoughts on Thorpe and Martyn.

i would have Thorpe over Martyn but i forgot him when i was making the XI., also andy Flower over Sanath but i would make him play one down instead of Astle and open the bating with Langer and Astle..

so u r saying Richard.,, one of the most active member of this has been ban?
but how? what happend? lol,, if he gets ban i guess anyone can get ban..

Perm

i would have Thorpe over Martyn but i forgot him when i was making the XI., also andy Flower over Sanath but i would make him play one down instead of Astle and open the bating with Langer and Astle..

so u r saying Richard.,, one of the most active member of this has been ban?
but how? what happend? lol,, if he gets ban i guess anyone can get ban..
Martyn is a better Test batsman than Thorpe, he averaged close to 50 batting in the middle order against Test class opposition.

Also, this is why Richard was banned.