• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky ponting should give up

Maximus0723

um what?

Even average of 42 is very respectable. Ponting is the most priced wicket in Aussie line-up unless they are playing the English. Then it would be Hussey then Ponting.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ponitng needs to get shot of the captaincy, he's never been more than serviceable and it's been a while since he touched that. Now seems like a mug punter (pun intended) desperately chasing the money with seemingly constant and largely baffling field changes.

He can then (assuming Oz can HTFU and lower herself to select an ex-captain) concentrate on his batting which I'd suggest his country still has use of. It's easy to forget he's nearly two years younger than Sachin.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponitng needs to get shot of the captaincy, he's never been more than serviceable and it's been a while since he touched that. Now seems like a mug punter (pun intended) desperately chasing the money with seemingly constant and largely baffling field changes.

He can then (assuming Oz can HTFU and lower herself to select an ex-captain) concentrate on his batting which I'd suggest his country still has use of. It's easy to forget he's nearly two years younger than Sachin.
But who would you give it to? I mean, it's all well and good stripping him of the captaincy but somewhat has to do it, and no one's exactly filled me with confidence thus far...

Spark

Global Moderator
My position on Clarke being given the captaincy is clear - not yet. Not for at least a year.

White is an interesting case. Is he a good enough player to make the best XI - and hence does he deserve to even play? The last thing we need is a captain whose credentials as a Test cricketer are being questioned. There is also the question of what effect bringing a leader from outside the test set up could have on the mindset/leadership structure of the team. How will the "established" senior players (basically Clarke, Hussey and Katich) react - although this should be minor given that White has been in the ODI setup in a senior/leadership role for some time now. There's no doubting his leadership and tactical qualities though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Keeping a bloke at the helm past his sell-by date because the selectors are too gutless to pin the tail on a replacement is an awful reason to back the status quo, IMHO.

Not sure about Clarke in all honesty, will hold my hands up and say I don't like the bloke but he's done a decent job in limited overs (although his batting has tailed off in the abbreviated formats I suspect this is more to do with a tightening of his technique than him assuming the armband as such) and after Punter is probably the second name on the teamsheet.

Hussey would be mu shout tho. Yes, he's not much younger than Ponting (six months?) but he's only just over five years into his test career so (I'm guessing) is still quite hungry, obviously a student of the game, is patently a good chap and commands respect from friend and foe alike.

Safe pair of hands that might surprise us all and a couple of years down the line an obvious replacement may have established himself. Rather like the Alec Stewart interregnum between Atherton's and Hussain's reigns. IIRC Stewie is Athers's senior by five years and of similar age to Hussey is now. Lead us to our first win in a five test series for about 15 years too (v SA in 98).

Spark

Global Moderator
There is the unfortunate fact that we have lost every match Hussey has captained, which seems to have become a rather large black mark on his copybook. Otherwise not a bad shout.

Haddin might be another good shout if we're looking for a short-term captain until either Clarke is ready or White has been fully integrated into the team (assuming they pick him, which looks unlikely).

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
No doubt he has to go. He is the luckiest captain in the world to have walked his way to 3 World Cups and utter world domination due to a more than significant contribution from some peerless ex team mates but now he has been devastatingly exposed especially in the last 3 years.

Make no mistake, he is still a class act with the bat but whatever utility he could be in the swansong of his career, it is getting overshadowed by his captaincy. The time has come to relinquish the captaincy and he can surely prolong his career as a pure batsman by a year or two.

Blaze 18

Banned
No doubt he has to go. He is the luckiest captain in the world to have walked his way to 3 World Cups and utter world domination due to a more than significant contribution from some peerless ex team mates but now he has been devastatingly exposed especially in the last 3 years.

Make no mistake, he is still a class act with the bat but whatever utility he could be in the swansong of his career, it is getting overshadowed by his captaincy. The time has come to relinquish the captaincy and he can surely prolong his career as a pure batsman by a year or two.
He won't carry on if he gets sacked as captain, that much is certain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting has said he'd play on if no longer captain. I swear he said this in a 7:30 Report interview with Kerry O'Brien.

honestbharani

Keeping a bloke at the helm past his sell-by date because the selectors are too gutless to pin the tail on a replacement is an awful reason to back the status quo, IMHO.

Not sure about Clarke in all honesty, will hold my hands up and say I don't like the bloke but he's done a decent job in limited overs (although his batting has tailed off in the abbreviated formats I suspect this is more to do with a tightening of his technique than him assuming the armband as such) and after Punter is probably the second name on the teamsheet.

Hussey would be mu shout tho. Yes, he's not much younger than Ponting (six months?) but he's only just over five years into his test career so (I'm guessing) is still quite hungry, obviously a student of the game, is patently a good chap and commands respect from friend and foe alike.

Safe pair of hands that might surprise us all and a couple of years down the line an obvious replacement may have established himself. Rather like the Alec Stewart interregnum between Atherton's and Hussain's reigns. IIRC Stewie is Athers's senior by five years and of similar age to Hussey is now. Lead us to our first win in a five test series for about 15 years too (v SA in 98).
There was the Dravid, Kumble, Dhoni example as well, recently.. :)

vcs

Nonsense, he's a great ODI captain. He had Warne suspended a couple of months before the '03 WC, he has never lost a WC match as captain, he has won the Champions Trophy in '09 with his young team, won ODI series in India (which very few teams have managed) etc. etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting never losing a World Cup match as ODI captain is such an awesome record.

He is definitely underrated as a ODI captain. Has a terrific record for a reason.

Bun

Banned
Nonsense, he's a great ODI captain. He had Warne suspended a couple of months before the '03 WC, he has never lost a WC match as captain, he has won the Champions Trophy in '09 with his young team, won ODI series in India (which very few teams have managed) etc. etc.
And managed to lose vs SA, SL, England at home as well.

Himannv

And managed to lose vs SA, SL, England at home as well.
Blaming the captain when the team loses? Thats definitely not fair to Ponting. I dont see anything he could have done, save scoring more with the bat to win those series'. Is it that hard to believe that Australia were simply outplayed?

Disagree with all those who think he's not a good captain. He's not as bad as people think although he has made a few mistakes recently. There was a time when he was definitely one of the top captains in the world. You dont turn from a good captain into a bad one overnight. The fact is that his team's results have put more focus on his role and there are people eyeballing his every decision nowadays. I dont see any captain around nowadays who hasn't made mistakes tbh.

I dont think his batting has anything to do with his captaincy either. After all he averages 52 odd with the bat as captain and I've watched him score century after century as captain despite my team being at the receiving end of it.

IMO this whole thing is nothing more than a 2 game backlash. The Ashes isn't even half over yet, sit back for a bit.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Ponting as an ODI captain is all kinds of class. Recall that just last year he basically won a series in India with half a rotating A team...

kingkallis

It will change in this WC. ;) He had a fabulous test record as a captain which is fading now.