• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roundabouts

Shri

Need some clarification on this.

So I am the red car waiting to make a u turn an the red arrow is the path I m waiting to take. This roundabout doesn't have an entrance/exit to my right and the blue cars are passing through. I am still supposed to let all of the cars on my right to pass through before I turn right, correct? Even though they are slightly to the right but straight of me?

Starfighter

NSW road rules section 114:

114 Giving way when entering or driving in a roundabout
(1) A driver entering a roundabout must give way to:
(a) any vehicle in the roundabout (...)​
Once you enter the roundabout (on the left hand side) and perform the U-turn any blue cars not already in the roundabout must give way to you.

Edit: might I make clear, since there is no-one in your section of the roundabout you are perfectly free to enter, and then the blue cars must give way.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Do note that people may not necessarily have the same interpretation, it always helps to watch out and see if someone is going to hare through. You shouldn't be treated any differently by the blue cars to someone turning right from the terminating road.

Shri

I was waiting for the blue cars to pass through before turning and the green **** behind me started honking. Shouting match in the middle of the road and I told him pretty confidently to learn the ****ing rules even when I wasn't sure myself. >_>

Victor Ian

Roundabouts work fine so long as you don't follow the rules. The rule 'give way to all traffic on the roundabout, renders them unusable when there is reasonably heavy traffic. If you were to wait for all car's to exit before entering, you would effectively only allow one side of the road to use it, all others having to wait for said side of road to experience a gap before they get to use 'and abuse' it.

The practical rule for a roundabout is give way to those in your right side quarter - paying particular attention to those in turning lanes. Don't rely on their indicators. That is nice, but will not save you being wrong when you encounter the dipshit who doesn't use it.

And always, the rule of thumb - don't progress if you don't feel safe. If someone beeps at you, it is customary to give them the finger and then take much longer to do your turn than you might have. (Be ready to gun it, though, if they exit their vehicle with an angry face)

Burgey

Giving way to a vehicle means in circumstances where your paths cross though. So, for example, if there were two lanes in the direction the blue cars in Shri's diagrams are traveling, he would not be obligated to wait for a vehicle in the left of those lanes to clear the roundabout going straight ahead before he entered the intersection.

Generally speaking, if you're at a roundabout and you reckon you can take off and get across the path of a vehicle were it to turn towards you, then take it on. If it doesn't work out, Better Call Burgey.

hendrix

You guys have stupid laws.

Under nz law you have the right of way unless the blue car turns right across your path.

Starfighter

There's nothing wrong with the laws. Burgey is quite right here (of course). If people are relying on Victor Ian's interpretation then I can see problems.

Burgey

Yeah but the point is that giving way on a roundabout means you give way to vehicles crossing your path, not that you never enter the roundabout until every other vehicle is off it.

Howe_zat

Starfighter is correct but it's so common for people to assume that you won't u-turn and so they'll just carry on anyway.

Hence any u-turn on a roundabout is dangerous even though you've every right to in theory.

hendrix

Starfighter is correct but it's so common for people to assume that you won't u-turn and so they'll just carry on anyway.

Hence any u-turn on a roundabout is dangerous even though you've every right to in theory.
Use of the indicator fixes this issue.