• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saving the World

Perm

One smile at a time :)

Who's in? It's not hard, just smile at somebody you see today. It'll make their day and you might even get a smile back. Something needs to be done CW, I'm charging you with the responsibility.

Perm

Nah look I'm not, have class in ten minutes and I'm broke until tonight. Just trying to spread the love.

Incidentally, told some strangers about this on Sunday night at the pub watching Bathurst and they wanted to know what I was smoking. Made me LOL, tbh.

HeathDavisSpeed

Perm = Nandor Tanktop

He will be voting Green at the forthcoming election, methinks and looking for a relocation to Coromandel Town.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
See thing is, I like the idea of spreading happiness and smiles and being nice etc, but what I can't stand is being told to do it or engaging in a hippy love fest (and not the :naughty: kind).

People need to be happy of their own accord, not because someone tells them to. Give them advice that smiling more would be a good move, but not too much as I'm likely to smash your face into a jelly.

Top_Cat

See thing is, I like the idea of spreading happiness and smiles and being nice etc, but what I can't stand is being told to do it or engaging in a hippy love fest (and not the :naughty: kind).

People need to be happy of their own accord, not because someone tells them to. Give them advice that smiling more would be a good move, but not too much as I'm likely to smash your face into a jelly.
This.

Psychology tells us that 'the power of positive thinking' is rubbish. Accentuating the positives and ignoring the negatives of any situation has a fatal flaw; the negatives remain. Then it becomes a vicious cycle; to use a stock-market analogy, when the stock in positives takes a dive, the negatives gain momentum = depression.

People generally feel the least angst when they're in control of their lives, the lack of control being the most frequent cause of angst. Whether surrounded by positive stuff or going through a heaps of crap, the degree of control is (as far as the evidence suggests) the best barometer of mood. Honest appraisal of a situation + action to go towards the good stuff = least angst.

Top_Cat

People are also often not good at working-out what's best for themselves.
I've long advocated that there should be a compulsory 'life skills' subject at schools. Not philosophical but doing adult stuff like 'paying your gas bill' or 'if you can't afford to buy it, DON'T put it on credit' or 'if you didn't use a phranger on your wanger, enjoy spotted dick for life'. That sort of stuff does so much to cause pain for people well into their lives it's not funny.

NZTailender

I've long advocated that there should be a compulsory 'life skills' subject at schools. Not philosophical but doing adult stuff like 'paying your gas bill' or 'if you can't afford to buy it, DON'T put it on credit' or 'if you didn't use a phranger on your wanger, enjoy spotted dick for life'. That sort of stuff does so much to cause pain for people well into their lives it's not funny.
AWTA so so much. Basic cooking as well, like the very very basic - cooking potatoes, other veges, meats etc. Budgeting is something that should be taught in the last couple years of Primary and continue until they leave school.
Know a few people who are constantly behind with their rent as they prefer to spend their weekly wages or benefit on drinking and what effectively are shiny things. Not to mention the people who take out loans simply to buy things like large TVs. Ffs.

NZTailender

This.

Psychology tells us that 'the power of positive thinking' is rubbish. Accentuating the positives and ignoring the negatives of any situation has a fatal flaw; the negatives remain. Then it becomes a vicious cycle; to use a stock-market analogy, when the stock in positives takes a dive, the negatives gain momentum = depression.

People generally feel the least angst when they're in control of their lives, the lack of control being the most frequent cause of angst. Whether surrounded by positive stuff or going through a heaps of crap, the degree of control is (as far as the evidence suggests) the best barometer of mood. Honest appraisal of a situation + action to go towards the good stuff = least angst.
Agree with this so much.

Life, as a rule, is ****. Trauma and chaos is a constant. It's nigh on impossible to be happy 100% of the time. The trick to life is finding the wonderful and beautiful things because they're few and far between, and preparing yourself for the inevitable down cycle after being on the up.

People who strive to make themselves happy will be hardest hit when they eventually come down again, because then they feel that their efforts are a failure.

'Happiness' are moments, and not a state. The moment when you see your loved ones smile, when you make a long putt in golf, or have a relaxing beer listening to your favourite band. A lot of people seem to think if you do X and achieve Y then that will = constant happiness. There are very few things in life that work that way.

Top_Cat

Helps if you have a positive attitude and approach towards life in general though.
True. And so, so much of that is built during childhood. Psychologists spend years on people undoing the cognitive mess formed between 7-14. It's rarely set from birth.

Smudge

I don't recall being this deliriously brainwashed when I skipped journalism school classes...