• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledging - Does it Work

TheJediBrah

Every batsman is sledgable. You just need to pick where it hurts them most.

Sri Lankans sledged Joe Root some times back viciously. Nothing was told to him. Mathews and few others got together in the vicinity of Root and were discussing the mechanics of the blow he received on face at the pub. Root himself has said it was unnerving. Root had moderate success in that to IIRC, and never went ton to big scores.
That is cringey af. I'd be unnerved too if met with such a lame attempt at a sledge.

the big bambino

I have contradictory feelings about sledging. When I played I was so bad I had to concentrate just to keep the ball out. I was too busy with that to hear what anyone had to say or say anything myself. But if its a part of the game then so be it. I think its pathetic though at lower levels. People give their time to play the game they love. You'd have to be an expletive deletive to make an arse of yourself and try and ruin other people's enjoyment with sledging. At the higher levels (which I'd call any standard where players have higher ambitions of representation - so grade level 2 and up maybe) then you just have to put up with it. I mean I'd guess all high level sports have sledging. The administrators have to decide how serious they are in policing it then. They have the power to stamp it out. If they don't they are condoning it - which cricket appears to have done.

Burgey

Sledging is all ****. Seriously. It usually equates with abuse, at club level anyway, where it's done most horribly.

There's definitely a place to say the right thing at the right time, or to put pressure on a guy by telling him how you're trying to get him out, that now is not the time to get out, or distract him in some way. But that's not the definition of sledging for me, that's just verbal gamesmanship. Sledging is the puerile ****, the snarling, the abuse, the sendoffs, all that horrible **** that has no place in cricket. Often speaks to the character or lack thereof of the deliverer.
I don't disagree with the sentiment here at all, but defining it as you have is the classic exercise in "not crossing the line" thinking for which others are rightly criticized.

Migara

Sledging is all ****. Seriously. It usually equates with abuse, at club level anyway, where it's done most horribly.

There's definitely a place to say the right thing at the right time, or to put pressure on a guy by telling him how you're trying to get him out, that now is not the time to get out, or distract him in some way. But that's not the definition of sledging for me, that's just verbal gamesmanship. Sledging is the puerile ****, the snarling, the abuse, the sendoffs, all that horrible **** that has no place in cricket. Often speaks to the character or lack thereof of the deliverer.
Issue is where does the insults or borderline insults on sexual or overall health, wife's sexual or overall health, children's IQ, drinking habits come in? How fare to ask how his momma's ***** smell like or how Lara's dick taste like?

Flem274*

123/5
Personally, I used to be an ugly sledger, with reference to downright personal issues. One of the opposing batsman's girl has run away with a pilot. so I used to sign the grounding or take off an air plane when ever I ran passed him.
lol you're a twerp. how were you not knocked out?

Chewie

There's a lot of rather toxic sledging in online competitive games due to the relative anonymity and quite often it does work in affecting the mindset of the person being sledged

zorax

likes this
I used to sledge a bit in tape-ball games as a kid playing against other kids I didn't really know. Never got personal though. It was mostly along the lines of 'this guy's only got one shot', 'he can't play in the offside', 'look he's nervous he's going to get out now'

It wasn't hugely effective to most kids, but the one time it worked it was fantastic. Somehow I really got under the skin of this one particular kid who I had never met before. Left handed batter. I can't remember exactly what I was saying, but I was basically predicting he would get out caught playing a particular shot, and he actually got out exactly that way a few balls later. After the game I came to learn from my friends that he now hated me haha.

I don't sledge nowdays. I only play social club cricket, and as TBB says, you'd have to be a real dick to sledge in this environment. There are a few cricketers out here who do sledge - they're widely disliked.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I used to sledge a bit in tape-ball games as a kid playing against other kids I didn't really know. Never got personal though. It was mostly along the lines of 'this guy's only got one shot', 'he can't play in the offside', 'look he's nervous he's going to get out now'
You know that's not sledging right

zorax

likes this
It's about as much as you can get away with without starting a fight at that level.

ties into the wider conversation of what's acceptable chat on the field and not. Personally I think it's pretty straightforward - unless you are certain that the person you're speaking to will take what you're saying to them in good humor, don't say it. You get away with a lot more when playing with certain individuals than others. I personally haven't ever played in an environment where actual abuse or personal comments have been tolerated. You mostly just get away with comments on technique, bat used, match situation...and even then, things get out of hand. I've seen batsmen snap and ask fielders to shut up and stop repeating how many runs are left to win after every ball lol.

srbhkshk

From personal experience anti-sledging can occasionally work too, I hit a couple boundaries in one of our company annual league games and the keeper was pretty impressed with how far the ball landed. Couldn't get bat on ball after that. (In interest of fairness this might or might not have also been the result of them switching the bowler.)

Migara

lol you're a twerp. how were you not knocked out?
There was zero aggression. Even the ugliest insults were delivered with a straight face.

And of course knocking me out was not an easy task.

Last edited: