• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Soca Warriors

Mr Mxyzptlk

It's doubtful that anyone knows any of the Trinidad and Tobago squad aside from Dwight Yorke, so I've decided to give a little info on some of the players who are sure to be there in Germany.

Stats are not readily available, but I make do with what I can find.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dwight Yorke (C)
Position: Forward/Midfield
Club: Sydney FC (A League) [6 goals in ? appearances this season]
International: 55 appearances; 23 goals

One of the old guard for Trinidad and Tobago, Yorke was a member of the Strike Squad, which came within a game of qualifying for the World Cup in 1989. Yorke has represented Aston Villa, Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City in the English Premiership. The high point of his career was his time at Man U, when he scored 65 goals in 150 appearances, forming a superb strike duo with Andy Cole. He won the Carling Player of the Year award in his first season with the club. During his time there, he also hooked up with "supermodel" Katie Price (Jordan). He retired from T&T football in 2001, but returned for the World Cup qualifying campaign, assuming the captain's armband. He is currently the highest profile player to sign a full-time A-League contract.

Dwight Yorke brings a necessary level of intelligence, maturity and experience to the team. His ability to play a midfield role at this stage in his career is a big asset to the team, as he is capable of setting up excellent goalscoring opportunities for his team-mates, as well as netting the ball himself.
International: 30 appearances; 6 goals [stats since 2000; has made over 100 appearances in total]

The oldest player on the team and one of the most respected sportsmen (in terms of onfield accomplishments) in the region. He has played for FC Porto, Academica, Boavista, Hibernian, Glasgow Rangers and Dundee United. His time in the Scottish Premier League has been quite successful, and he was named the league's Payer of the Year in 1999 and again last season. He has been named the T&T footballer of the year on 4 occasions (1983, '85, '89,'96). He retired alongside Yorke in 2001, but also decided to return to service amidst World Cup qualifying with him.

A controlled yet dynamic presence in the midfield, Latapy conducts himself calmly whilst displaying a keen grasp of the game situation. He is the glue of the midfield.
International: 69 appearances; 6 goals [stats since 2000]

Signed with Wrexham in 2001, Lawrence won the Wrexham Player of the Year award for the 2003/04 season. At 6 feet 6 inches, Lawrence adds height to the T&T attack during set pieces, and is a valuable player in terms of aerial play. His solid defence makes him crucial to the back line, and he has formed a well-respected defence partnership with Marvin Andrews.

Lawrence scored the lone goal in T&T's 1-0 win over Bahrain (headed in from a Yorke corner), making him the most important goalscorer in the country's history... for now.
International: 79 appearances; 7 goals [stats since 2000; over 100 appearances in total]

Marvin Andrews is the rock of the defence, as epitomized by his crucial clearance in Bahrain last year. After goalkeeper Kelvin Jack misread a lobbed shot and left the ball bouncing toward a wide open goal, Andrews stepped up in the crunch and headed the ball over the bar at the very last moment. The save helped T&T qualify with a 1-0 victory. While playing for Raith Rovers in Scotland, Andrews won the team's Player of the Year award in 1999/00 season, and moved to receive Livingston's version of the award in 2003/04. Andrews signed with Rangers in 2004, won the SPL with them, and was named the club's Player of the Year.

He is composed at all times and adds strong aerial play to the T&T formula.
International: 15 appearances; 2 goals

The first white player to represent Trinidad and Tobago in 60 years. Birchall was born in England, but is eligible to represent T&T through his mother (born in Port-of-Spain). As such, he has picked up the nickname "me mum" by some local supporters. His finest moment in T&T colours came against Bahrain, when he equalized (1-1) in the home leg of the World Cup playoff with a 77th minute bullet from outside the penalty area. The tied scoreline meant that T&T's 1-0 victory in Bahrain was sufficient to advance to Germany.

Birchall is quick, intelligent and adds great energy to the midfield. He is a brave and very dedicated player.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Christopher Birchall
Position: Midfield
Club: Port Vale (English League One) [2 goals in 13 appearances this season]
International: 15 appearances; 2 goals

The first white player to represent Trinidad and Tobago in 60 years. Birchall was born in England, but is eligible to represent T&T through his mother (born in Port-of-Spain). As such, he has picked up the nickname "me mum" by some local supporters. His finest moment in T&T colours came against Bahrain, when he equalized (1-1) in the home leg of the World Cup playoff with a 77th minute bullet from outside the penalty area. The tied scoreline meant that T&T's 1-0 victory in Bahrain was sufficient to advance to Germany.

Birchall is quick, intelligent and adds great energy to the midfield. He is a brave and very dedicated player.
And has a scouse accent that could stun a rhino at 50 paces.... :D

Any news on J-L Samuel's attempts to be re-classified as Trinidadian? The last I heard FIFA has turned him down as he'd represented us at age-group level & was "too old" to change now. I think he's 24, so that seems a bit tight.

I'd actually imagine most English footy fans would be familiar with Stern John (whose parents clearly named him backwards as some cruel joke) & Shaka Hislop too. IIRC Shaka's English-born & played for our "B" team.

Cloete

BoyBrumby said:
And has a scouse accent that could stun a rhino at 50 paces.... :D

Any news on J-L Samuel's attempts to be re-classified as Trinidadian? The last I heard FIFA has turned him down as he'd represented us at age-group level & was "too old" to change now. I think he's 24, so that seems a bit tight.

I'd actually imagine most English footy fans would be familiar with Stern John (whose parents clearly named him backwards as some cruel joke) & Shaka Hislop too. IIRC Shaka's English-born & played for our "B" team.
Yeah who could forget Hislop... He'd be a candidate for the most eccentric keeper in EPL history. John's a pretty decent striker.

I hate it how all of these English guys like Samuel are suddenly trying to get into the T&T team. I'm glad he wasn't accepted and I hope hardly any of them are. The one's that are, I hope they aren't picked! 8-)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Russell Latapy
Position: Midfield [and Falkirk's First Team Coach]
Club: Falkirk (Scottish Premier League) [? goals in ? appearances this season]
1 goal in 24 apps

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Marvin Andrews
Position: Defence
Club: Rangers FC (Scottish Premier League) [? goals in ? appearances this season]

He is composed at all times and adds strong aerial play to the T&T formula.
1 goal in 22 apps. (stats from soccerbase.com)

Btw, "adds strong aerial play to the T&T formula" sounds like a player who can't handle the ball at all, but is 1.95 and clears everything in the central defence...

Mr Mxyzptlk

BoyBrumby said:
The decision is pending. They say that because he's represented England on two different levels, he can't switch allegiances, but he's still very keen on it. AFAIK it's not resolved as yet, but sure it must be soon.
BoyBrumby said:
Shaka Hislop may not play at all in the World Cup, though he almost certainly will be in the squad. Kelvin Jack is the number 1 at the moment, and then there's the former number 1, Clayton Ince, and Fulham's Tony Warner, who recently got cleared to represent T&T.

Jack Warner is also looking to get Bobby Zamora.

I just hope they realize that the best team is not necessarily the best collection of players.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Samuel_Vimes said:
Btw, "adds strong aerial play to the T&T formula" sounds like a player who can't handle the ball at all, but is 1.95 and clears everything in the central defence...
Marvin Andrews is a quality defender. Trust that he can handle the ball (with his chest and feet). He's just very good the air as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Erm no, he's not.
Yes. He is. 39 goals in 67 internationals since 2000 (64 international goals total). He scored 12 times in the qualifying campaign. I've seen many worse records.
marc71178 said:
All 1 of them?
There are 3 of them actually. It's just that only one of them is any good.
Beenhakker has said that he wants to keep the team as close to that which qualified though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yes. He is. 39 goals in 67 internationals since 2000 (64 international goals total). He scored 12 times in the qualifying campaign. I've seen many worse records.

There are 3 of them actually. It's just that only one of them is any good.
Beenhakker has said that he wants to keep the team as close to that which qualified though.
I'm with Marc - Stern John has polluted both our sides, and of course also played for the hated Florists.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He is such a lazy waste of space unless it suits him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ironic isn't it?!

Even then he still had a big strop because he wasn't allowed to take the penalty - commentators thought for a moment he was going to walk off.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
He is such a lazy waste of space unless it suits him.
So when he scores its not because he is a decent striker.

And when he doesn't manage to score its because he is all lazy and all.

What great logic there. :dry:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
So when he scores its not because he is a decent striker.

And when he doesn't manage to score its because he is all lazy and all.

What great logic there. :dry:
I'd humbly suggest that Marc, being a Coventry City supporter, possibly knows a little more about the apparent on-pitch attitude of Stern John, who happens to play for Coventry City when it suits him, than you are ever likely to.

You've not quite got the hang of this 'logic' stuff yet, have you? 8-)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
I'd humbly suggest that Marc, being a Coventry City supporter, possibly knows a little more about the apparent on-pitch attitude of Stern John, who happens to play for Coventry City when it suits him, than you are ever likely to.
Err maybe next time Marc should explain logically why some one is not a decent strike rather than discounting a player the way he has.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Err maybe next time Marc should explain logically why some one is not a decent strike rather than discounting a player the way he has.
Marc said that "He is such a lazy striker unless it suits him" - no more, no less.

I don't think he said he was rubbish (he might have, though - I just can't be bothered going back through the thread)

Edit : yes he did.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

If your job is to score goals, and you've scored nearly 70 International goals, you're not rubbish.

Obviously Marc is in the best position to comment about him beign lazy though.