• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

GraemeSmith

Im no fan of Romney and, as some on here will know, Im an atheist but I think that last sentance sounds very bad. If it had read "a christian/muslim/jew etc and a born again, imagine this crew having the codes to nukes:unsure:" then Im sure people would have paid more attention. It sounds pretty bad.

I know a number of Mormons. I think their religion is pretty wacky (but to me they all are) but so far all have been good, honest people. Im not sure what that statement is supposed to mean.

A Mormon
Speaking of Mormons I find it funny that mormons vote for Republicans in such huge numbers when a vast majority of the Republican southern evangelical base strongly dislikes if not actively hates them.

Goughy

Speaking of Mormons I find it funny that mormons vote for Republicans in such huge numbers when a vast majority of the Republican southern evangelical base strongly dislikes if not actively hates them.
True but they are traditional with the family playing a very important role, very patriotic and like a degree of independence from a strong federal government. Conservative with a small 'c' and these are all core Republican values.

LongHopCassidy

Question, SS - if the Democrats started a crackdown on gun control, would you cross the aisle?

Yours in ideological ambiguity,

LongHopCassidy

Spark

Global Moderator
Huntsman Huntsman Huntsman Huntsman Huntsman

I don't care if he's Mormon, I'd vote for him over anyone else I see in the American scene atm. If I was American ofc.

Rick Perry. OH. MY. GOD. He had a catastrophic moment in tonight's GOP debate. It's already being called the worst debate moment of all time. I can't think of a worst political moment myself. I can't stand the guy and I actually felt bad for him.

Watch Rick Perry's Campaign End Before Your Eyes
it's bizarre, every remotely competent politician or politically leaning gop member should be lining up to take a tilt at obama but their field is dire by their own admission.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I know Obama's outlook for reelection look grim, but I firmly believe it would be a HUGE upset if he lost. There are a variety of reasons for that. The weak Republican field and the fact that the Republican nominee will be catering to the crazy Tea Party platform, the experience and talent of Obama's campaign team, and lastly, simple electoral math. To wit:

Why it would take a herculean effort to defeat Obama

Cevno

it's bizarre, every remotely competent politician or politically leaning gop member should be lining up to take a tilt at obama but their field is dire by their own admission.
Yeah, don't know why the younger Republican lot haven't taken a tilt.

The likes of Bobby Jindal, Marco Rubio etc.... were being tipped a while back and have a pretty good record at a young age to back them up.

Also watching the Republican Debates Ron Paul is a lot smarter than what the mainstream media gives him credit for. His policies can be questionable and he is a gamble, but feel he is hard done by sometimes.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Question, SS - if the Democrats started a crackdown on gun control, would you cross the aisle?

Yours in ideological ambiguity,

LongHopCassidy
No. First, it wouldn't get anywhere while the 2nd amendment is still around. And second, most of the issues that the democrats are usually against are more restrictions of handguns (which, considering the state of the inner cities, makes sense) and people owning a whole arsenal of semi-automatic weapons and such (which I think needs to be curtailed too). Very few democrats really care about stopping people from owning a rifle and things like that.

Plus, even with things like handguns, what they are against is not private ownership - they just want things like background checks and waiting periods, which do not seem like onerous requirements to me (even if it does to the NRA).

There's no chance whatsoever that democrats would actually push hard on this mind you, considering a large percentage of democrats are also gun owners (especially the blue collar workers in swing states), so I don't see gun restrictions as a plausible political platform anytime soon.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, don't know why the younger Republican lot haven't taken a tilt.

The likes of Bobby Jindal, Marco Rubio etc.... were being tipped a while back and have a pretty good record at a young age to back them up.

Also watching the Republican Debates Ron Paul is a lot smarter than what the mainstream media gives him credit for. His policies can be questionable and he is a gamble, but feel he is hard done by sometimes.
He is also bat**** insane - so blinded by his idealogy that he automatically rejects anything that doesn't neatly fit into it. And he truly believes it. To me that's a lot more dangerous than someone like a Mitt Romney who'll flip flop on whether the Sun rises in the east if it'll get him elected.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I know Obama's outlook for reelection look grim, but I firmly believe it would be a HUGE upset if he lost. There are a variety of reasons for that. The weak Republican field and the fact that the Republican nominee will be catering to the crazy Tea Party platform, the experience and talent of Obama's campaign team, and lastly, simple electoral math. To wit:

Why it would take a herculean effort to defeat Obama
Disagree. I feel that if Romney is the nominee, Obama will lose. EVERYBODY caters to their base during the primary. They'll come back to the center during the general election. Who else are the tea party members gonna vote for? Obama? I don't think so. Basically they need to win Ohio and Florida. Obama is taking an absolute beating in Ohio due to the economic downturn, and to win Florida all the republicans need to do is select Rubio as the VP candidate. Welcome to Romney 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/nate-silver-handicaps-2012-election.html?_r=1

The only person I listen to about these things is Nate Silver (FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right). Deadset, without a doubt, and by far the best and most accurate political predictions on the internet.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Ah but if Romney is the nominee, Ohio is going to be a very hard State for him to win. Romney supported the anti-labor union law which was just defeated at the ballots. There’s going to be a lot of resentment against him about that. Also, Ohio is one of the few States in the Union that actually supported the auto bailouts – as they obviously benefited a lot from it. As the article below points out, while Obama can win without Ohio, the Republican nominee can’t. By the way, a Romney nomination is certainly not going to excite the Tea Party base. They obviously will not be voting for Obama, but their turnout may dampen with Romney on the ballot. There’s also a chance that a third party nutto like Donald Trump may yet come in, taking further votes away from the Republican nominee. Things can obviously change, but as of right now I’m very confident of an Obama reelection.

Ohio back on President Obama's dance card

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes he supported the anti union law, but the same night that the anti union law was defeated....so was the insurance mandate for Obama. It's a wash on that issue, at best. Obama's approval rating in Ohio is pretty bad (lower than his overall mid forties rating).

I don't see him winning Ohio at all.