• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

RossTaylorsBox

No, their entire purpose is to get better working conditions for their members. Do you think them getting a pay rise means they're taking money away from solution architects or something?

Burgey

Lol imagine getting your nose out of joint when health workers and teachers - people entrusted with the sick and our kids - want a pay rise in an environment where they’ve both never been more important and when their own well being is in issue as they just go about their daily jobs. Fmd they’ve been stiffed for decades.

Burgey

After seven years spent ripping its guts out, looks like we're now going to have a TAFE-led recovery. Shameless.

Burgey

Further to last night's discussion, our erstwhile leader at the NPC today ruled out taking a pay cut. All in this together, indeed.

Shady Slim

i know the big short is iffy at best when it comes to political lessons but one of the great lines of the movie is right at the end when they're cynically recapping how everyone involved in the gfc in the banking sector got off more or less scott free and how the government and the people "blamed immigrants and poor people... this time even teachers!!"

anyway i just decided to share this in this thread for no reason at all and definitely not for the tact our government has decided to roll with in recent weeks

Shady Slim

and as the forum’s men of honour predicted, morrison begins to roll out his plan to redo workchoices while state lib implements phase one of covid austerity

absolutely the most pathetically predictable thing to come of this ordeal

Line and Length

There’s no doubt in my mind that COVID-19 has had an enormous impact, not only on our lives but on our perception of political leaders. Currently our PM and (some) State Premiers are enjoying unprecedented high approval ratings. To a large extent that is because, in comparison with other countries and their political leaders, we are very much the lucky country. To what extent is that “luck” due to good management? Or is it due to other factors? There is no doubt that border closures and control are easier for an island nation and having a relatively small population spread over a large area would mean a less rapid spread of a pandemic.
Here in WA, Labor Premier Mark McGowan is enjoying huge public support and approval. With very few active cases and virtually no new cases (apart from those arriving in Fremantle via a live export ship) the situation seems to justify the strict measures put in place. The occasional ineffectual bleating from the State Opposition largely falls on deaf ears – apart from those in the hospitality and tourist industries who want to see a faster easing of restrictions.
At a Federal level, Scott Morrison is enjoying the widest approval rating (68%) for a PM in more than a decade. I would argue that much of that approval is because, in comparison with overseas leaders such as Trump, Johnson and Brazil’s Bolsonaro, he appears effective in dealing with the pandemic. The Opposition has appeared ineffectual even irrelevant at this time. The miscalculated JobKeeper funding figures would normally create an uproar but many have seen it as an economic blessing. Even the ACTU, one of Labor’s staunchest political allies, appears to co-operating with the Government. Industrial Relations Minister Christian Porter going as far as to describe ACTU Secretary Sally McManus his "best friend for now".
Regardless of political persuasion, the current situation has resulted in positive reactions to both State and Federal Governments with Oppositions, perhaps wisely, keeping a relatively low key. There have been clashes between states over border restrictions but the only Federal comments of consequence have come from Peter Dutton who, in most people’s eyes, is too much of a loose cannon and too right-wing in his views. Others who make threats of legal proceedings, such as Pauline Hansen and Clive Palmer, are held in scorn by the majority of people.
The global pandemic has treated Australia relatively kindly health wise and this is foremost in the public’s mind – especially when viewing overseas situations. In the current climate politics very much takes a back seat.

morgieb

what? are you getting free money or something?
Basically I had to pay about $2000 back to the federal government through RoboDebt which I had received through government concessions, but now I'm getting it back following a class action suit.

So yes. Though of course I was getting free money beforehand.

Gnske

I can scarcely think of any legislation for cultural heritage provisions that isn't extremely outdated. NSW being the best of the lot is like commending a man for drowning last on the Titanic, if the project is big enough you can bypass needing an impact permit altogether which as a developer would require that in-depth community consultation for department of planning / other authorities to sign off.

Destroying a 46,000 year old site in any case is absolute piss, the finds a year later aside. I'd like to know what the Minister read that precipitated the granting of consent. Especially given Rio directly employs their own heritage consultants and archaeologists...

Spikey

what? are you getting free money or something?
article from today: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...-from-this-base-politics-20200529-p54xup.html

basically, the government had robots chase welfare cheats from around 2016 to 2019. problem was, a) it was likely unlawful and b) a ton of people got pinged incorrectly. as I recall from articles in 2017 (shortly after I got pinged and paid up), causals, as I was then, were prime candidates to get ****ed because their average pay packets would go up and down instead of being stable, heightening the chances of the robot ****ing up. but also: because we had found employment, we would pay up quickly to avoid the threat of interest being applied

2018 article: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...bt-program-accused-of-enforcing-illegal-debts

Carney explained the robo-debt program calculates welfare recipients’ income and averages it over fortnightly periods rather than discovering their actual income for each and every fortnightly period which, he writes, is the proper basis for calculating the debt.

Carney said when Centrelink asks for payment of alleged debts or evidence to disprove them, “most vulnerable alleged debtors will simply throw up their hands, assume Centrelink knows that there really is a debt, and seek to pay it off as quickly as possible”.

In one recent case, a young casual worker, Sarah, successfully challenged a $6,900 debt. Centrelink calculated the unlawful debt using the income-averaging method based on ATO data which overstated her earnings from casual employment over the financial year.
edit i should note, the program started in 2016ish, but it went back in time. i was pinged based on like my 2013 employment history. since the only way to fight back against the debt was to provide proof via pay slips, many people were in a hole, because years had passed and the pay slips had been thrown out

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
article from today: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...-from-this-base-politics-20200529-p54xup.html

basically, the government had robots chase welfare cheats from around 2016 to 2019. problem was, a) it was likely unlawful and b) a ton of people got pinged incorrectly. as I recall from articles in 2017 (shortly after I got pinged and paid up), causals, as I was then, were prime candidates to get ****ed because their average pay packets would go up and down instead of being stable, heightening the chances of the robot ****ing up. but also: because we had found employment, we would pay up quickly to avoid the threat of interest being applied

2018 article: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...bt-program-accused-of-enforcing-illegal-debts

edit i should note, the program started in 2016ish, but it went back in time. i was pinged based on like my 2013 employment history. since the only way to fight back against the debt was to provide proof via pay slips, many people were in a hole, because years had passed and the pay slips had been thrown out
how did you not burn parliament to ground? this is cray cray policy.

not surprised to see the so called small government party behaving like the mafia.

Shady Slim

callous stuff from porter today on abc news refusing to apologise over the robodebt saga but i didn't expect anything else

be interested to see how the class action progresses now wrt damages