• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

Spark

Global Moderator
so long as it's enshrined forever that brumbies > waratahs then i'll make my peace with this outcome

pretty amazing for australian rugby union to go from the heights of 1999 to today.
strong brumbies = strong aus rugby send tweet

Spikey

Mate, um, we have certain standards around here. Keep working hard and hopefully one day your dream will come true
ya used to. now they let anyone with a bit of cash in, while doing anything that could stop the poor coming in

Shady Slim

i had a real long post prepared because of how ****** starfighter’s takes are but i nixed it and i’ll go with something way more succinct

starfighter, mate, you identify a lot of true issues, massive slowdown of economic growth, immigrant workers getting ripped off and underpaid regularly, prices in the big cities for housing being really unaffordable, being some of the most key

now

instead of taking aim at the real causes, such as the insipid economic policy of successive conservative governments (coupled with the fact that the very high growth of the howard era only came about bc he fell ass backwards in to a once in a lifetime resources boom, and not because of any exemplary fiscal management on their paid), a lack of credibly strong industrial relations framework to hold dodgy employers accountable, governments at both state and federal level being beholden to wealthy stakeholders and white old money and foisting high density living in poorer areas while leaving wealthy areas like the north shore low density (state liberal, and heck, state labour for a long time here, a lot of nimbyism at the expense of good developments)

instead of taking aim at those real issues you’ve gone straight for the reffos, because, why exactly? is it because it’s easy to do baseless othering than it is to look the underlying fundamental problems with our economy in the eye and work to fix them? or are you going full love it or leave it on us?

Starfighter

Well I deleted the post for a good reason, but sorry mate, where the **** did I have a go at refugees? If you want to discuss those things from an economic standpoint and how all those things you mention influence things (a bit broad but whatever), then VM me.

Shady Slim

you’ll have to forgive me on that one, it’s sunday and i’m tired and i’m understandably used to people who take aim at migration taking aim at refugees too and lumping them in the one bundle that amounts to “me want no brown man”

not keen on getting in to that deeper discussion with all due respect - shady slim a busy man - but thanks for the offer, just know the rabbit hole of why there’s a lot fundamentally wrong with the australian economy rn is very deep and immigration levels don’t register on that list

Starfighter

Yeah, nah, I don't think we'll ever agree on the contents of that rabbit hole, immigration included. Can certainly agree its a very, very deep one.

GotSpin

The only good thing to come out of Covid19 is it's killed off Super Rugby in Australia.

TBF it was certainly on its last legs anyway, and was in a high risk category as elderly, poor and with pre-existing heart problems.
Definitely already on its last legs

Genuine question though. Do you dislike union as a sport or just because of its elitism?

Burgey

The latter which feeds into the former here in Aus imo. The usual caveats apply with Union re ruck refereeing (which is basically a coin toss) and the primacy of the penalty goal makes it a tough watch at times.

But mostly it’s the ****wits who’ve always ran and played it here. They’re just an embarrassment. As Lalor said on Offsiders this morning, even in a pandemic Union is there to make every other sport feel good about itself and the way it’s run.

We were like the Windies in the 80s with what happened between 91-03 here in Rugby - had a heap of excellent players come long at once who masked a terrible, limited playing pool and admin which were both born with silver spoons up their arses.

Soft of body, mind and spirit. Worst sport in Australia by a mile. Was cheering for the ABs to smash our blokes in 2015. Real people playing against our pack of wanker toffs.

Redbacks

The job keeper debacle is another indicator as to why parliament shouldn't be shut down. The problem with huge sums of money passed around with 0 scrutiny is it usually leads to massive balls-ups.

What I do wonder though is if Job-keeper is under budget, will Job-seeker being seeing a lot more claims than estimated?

Line and Length

Having just watched the ABC News I'm a little disappointed that both the teaching and nursing unions have demanded pay increases for their members during these times. Sureley in these current circumstances this is totally inappropriate. I can appreciate that both professions expose their members to greater risks during these difficult times but others involved in other occupations have lost jobs or are struggling under decreased working hours and income.
I have been a union member throughout my working life but believe that during a time when others have lost jobs and others have accepted decreased working benefits that it is out of order for unions to demand special treatment for specific groups.
Surely we must be sharing the pain, not grabbing at increased pay opportunities.

Spikey

the nsw government wage freeze is dumb as **** though, and they already had the dumb as **** cap on wage growth.

the 2% increase was agreed to in like January and I see no reason for it not to be issued. when times were good, the nurses and teaches weren't seeing massive % increases...(of course, times haven't been good for wage growth for a long time)

Last edited:

Burgey

Having just watched the ABC News I'm a little disappointed that both the teaching and nursing unions have demanded pay increases for their members during these times. Sureley in these current circumstances this is totally inappropriate. I can appreciate that both professions expose their members to greater risks during these difficult times but others involved in other occupations have lost jobs or are struggling under decreased working hours and income.
I have been a union member throughout my working life but believe that during a time when others have lost jobs and others have accepted decreased working benefits that it is out of order for unions to demand special treatment for specific groups.
Surely we must be sharing the pain, not grabbing at increased pay opportunities.
Unless your job entails treating infected people or being a human guinea pig so everyone else can offload their sprogs then I don’t think we’re sharing the load at all equally. The pollies haven’t had a wage freeze, for example

Few better times to lobby for a better deal when society is actually appreciative of what you do. Massively underpaid sectors both.

Last edited:

GotSpin

They're a strong union the teachers. Received a massive pay rise when I was working in the classroom earlier in the year