• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Beginning?

Has Australia reached the beginning of another great era?

• Yes, it's the beginning of a great era.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No, it's a 'flash in the pan'.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

watson

Banned
Aus 288/3 (69.0 ov, SE Marsh 44*, MJ Clarke 17*, RJ Peterson 1/87) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

After looking at the scorecard of the current AUS v RSA match I got to wondering whether Australia are about to enter another period of sustained dominance - one that would be similar to the 'Taylor Era' or the 'Waugh Era'.

With a settled bowling attack of high quality, and a line-up of young batsman rapidly gaining in confidence do you think that Australia has reached the beginning of a great era?

flibbertyjibber

No, the main strong point is the pace bowling and the main two are 32 and 34 so they can't expect this to last and the batting is nowhere near being a solid and secure unit yet.

hendrix

If they get Pattinson and the horde of young bowlers to the point where they could be near like-for-like replacements for the incumbents, they will destroy a lot of teams. That's not out of the realms of possibility.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Those teams were filled with ATG batsman and bowlers. Right now you have a large group of wonderful quicks and Michael Clarke. It'll be a number 1 team but it won't be an ATG team unless some batsman really step it up

Slifer

Nope not close. Oz always seem to have the measure of RSA and dominated an English team that was bearly drew a series in NZ. I highly doubt that this Oz team would win a test in India or Sri Lanka and they surely won't dominate the other teams home and away like WAugh/Taylor. They'll probably dominate at home but away I think they still leave alot to be desired. Still the future is looking bright for Oz cricket. With the resurgence of Johnson their attack has an extra edge about it but their batting quite frankly is frail.

watson

Banned
Those teams were filled with ATG batsman and bowlers. Right now you have a large group of wonderful quicks and Michael Clarke. It'll be a number 1 team but it won't be an ATG team unless some batsman really step it up
That is the anticipation. Warner, Clarke, and Smith are now the engine room of the batting line-up, and in the near future will be assisted by some emerging batsman capable of scoring big against quality bowlers. Faulkner has shown himself to have real class and only missed out on the current tour due to injury.

Pattinson and Starc are already top quality and can only get better. Lyon is already a dependable spinner capable of regular 5-fers and will be around for a long time pending injury. Add Faulkner to the mix and there is no reason why the team cannot be a powerful one. I'm not sure about Rogers though. Great temperament, but technically limited like Hughes.

IMO

Adders

As bitter a pill as it is to swallow I've just about resigned myself to the fact that Michael Clarke and Lehman will take this Australian team back to the top, certainly in tests and quite possibly in the one dayers as well......don't really give a **** about the 3rd form.

I guess it is the first test of this series and we should wait and see how South Africa respond, but the signs are certainly there.......if the Saffers can't stop this train then no-one will. Maybe they won't beat India in India....who knows, but neither did Steve Waugh or Taylor, didn't stop them being considered ATG teams. I can't see them having trouble winning anywhere else while they are playing this standard of cricket.

I don't like it......not one little bit, but thems the breaks and this is the reality.

Slifer

As bitter a pill as it is to swallow I've just about resigned myself to the fact that Michael Clarke and Lehman will take this Australian team back to the top, certainly in tests and quite possibly in the one dayers as well......don't really give a **** about the 3rd form.

I guess it is the first test of this series and we should wait and see how South Africa respond, but the signs are certainly there.......if the Saffers can't stop this train then no-one will. Maybe they won't beat India in India....who knows, but neither did Steve Waugh or Taylor, didn't stop them being considered ATG teams. I can't see them having trouble winning anywhere else while they are playing this standard of cricket.

I don't like it......not one little bit, but thems the breaks and this is the reality.
It's not just about not winning in India. In most of those series, Oz were at least competitive in India. This core group of players haven't even won a test in India in their last 3 tours. That's not to mention the whipping they took last time out in England. But u r right though, outside of India in India I see no reason y this team can't beat other teams in world cricket, I just doubt they'll dominate like their predecessors. Oz under S Waugh once swept Sri Lanka in SL, do u honestly see this group of players doin that??

Slifer

At home yes, but in SL no way!! Certainly not a clean sweep like what Waugh did. Last time Oz toured SL they won 1 nil but in no way did they "smash" SL and the bowling was more or less the same as nowand the batting then was better...but hey we will just have to wait and see

Last edited:

Adders

At home yes, but in SL no way!! Certainly not a clean sweep like what Waugh did. Last time Oz toured SL they won 1 nil but in no way did they "smash" SL and the bowling was more or less the same as nowand the batting then was better...but hey we will just have to wait and see
A far weaker Michael Clarke led team won in Sri Lanka last time out, far from a thrashing I grant you......but if this side turned up there tomorrow, you would have to fear for the Lankans.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hang on. This side is far stronger than the 2011 side (and the SL side arguably weaker) and yet we're questioning whether we can beat SL when we easily beat them in 2011?

Last edited: