• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Royal Family

Furball

Evil Scotsman
i mean there's a wikipedia list showing harry where he stands. i don't think this is a surprise to him
In his lifetime he's gone from 3rd to 6th in line to the throne, and there's now 4 people who can have children and bump him further down the list.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Discuss.

Weird one. Ideologically I am pretty much entirely opposed to the concept of royal families and suchlike. But RE: the British Royal Family, in practice, I honestly just cannot find it in me to care/get particularly upset about it, and I'm not entirely sure why.
Ideologically I believe in a Republic.

At the same time, the huge draw back with a Republic is that you run the risk of a total ****ing numbskull like Trump being elected and representing your country badly to the rest of the world, whereas people like Prince William and Prince Harry have essentially been trained for their job their entire lives and in theory should be good at playing an ambassadorial role for the country.

Next to that the royals don't seem too bad. I think we've probably got the best of both worlds where the Royal family by and large does a decent job representing us without actually yielding any practical influence.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

At the same time, the huge draw back with a Republic is that you run the risk of a total ****ing numbskull like Trump being elected and representing your country badly to the rest of the world, whereas people like Prince William and Prince Harry have essentially been trained for their job their entire lives and in theory should be good at playing an ambassadorial role for the country.

Next to that the royals don't seem too bad. I think we've probably got the best of both worlds where the Royal family by and large does a decent job representing us without actually yielding any practical influence.
I think this is basically why I am largely ambivalent to their existence tbh. Happy to acquiesce on this basis.

Burgey

I think they provide a bit of escapism for people. Their existence also ensures the preservation of a lot of historically significant places and buildings which might otherwise fall foul to demolition and development. I was watching a doco series on the weekend about the history of Windsor castle. Amazing place. The way the royals reacted to the fire and funded the restoration by opening up Buckingham Palace for tours was a deadest piece of brilliance on their part, especially given at the time they were crazily unpopular given the divorce of Charles and the Sloan Square Strumpet.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's opium for the people I guess. For one reason or another, the general public seem to really like this sort of crap, and it generally seems to create a good atmosphere.

I agree that the coverage is a bit OTT, especially since it's "the other" prince. Maybe the Markle factor has something to do with it. That and the fact that most broadcasters are probably just glad for some fluff to fill their schedule with.

I won't be watching, but the weather is great, so might slink along into the town later on to see if there are any opportunities to scrounge some free Pimms or something and lounge around in the sun.
Sledger beforehand advising he won't be watching.

She really is rather lovely.
Sledger clearly watching.

There is something very human about this, and I like it.

I think my empathy quota for the year is now full.
Sledger's heart having grown three sizes that day.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, yeah, I did not intend to, but I was sat at home whilst working so stuck it on in the background. I do not regret my choice.

Munificent_Fool

I don't dislike them as individuals but the coverage of everything they do is positively cancerous. Just add up the sheer number of column inches, broadcast hours, and so forth that are spent on them instead of informative and important content. It's grotesque.

Uppercut

I don't dislike them as individuals but the coverage of everything they do is positively cancerous. Just add up the sheer number of column inches, broadcast hours, and so forth that are spent on them instead of informative and important content. It's grotesque.
The wedding made this really stark for me. There was nothing objectionable about the ceremony and they're a likeable enough couple but as soon as they cut back to the studio or the commentary started the sycophancy made me want to vomit.

wpdavid

Charles may have something to say about that, if his track record is anything to go by.