• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The inevitability of progress

trundler

Do you think such a thing exists? That in the grand scheme of things, we are obliged by nature or some other mechanism to progress forward. In his book Sapiens, Yuval Noah Harari thinks so. He outlines how the works has and continues to amalgamate smaller tribes and city states into nations, eventually leading to a global piece. He believes things progress as per a defined pattern that always leads to net progress. A sort of evolutionary determinism, I would term this. He believes progress is ordained by self-preservation.

In contrast, Carlin believes humans are just another biological cul-de-sac. He takes an apathetic, if not pessimistic, stand. That humans are essentially stupid and would eventually wipe themselves off the planet with their stupidity. This suggests the there is no such inevitability of progress. Nature is chaotic and entropy is always increasing.

Random rambling. Not sure if coherent. Do share your views. Define progress as you will.

trundler

Nah, mate. Was watching Carlin and his bit on climate change got me thinking. What book report would this nonsense be for, haha.

weldone

Nah progress happens only with effort. Sit idle and nothing happens. Obviously this can't be realised at a macro level (because all the people in the world won't be lazy at the same time) but look at particular fields that lacked effort, funding, resources - and those sectors have seen slow/no growth for decades in different countries.

Dan

Global Moderator
I think the assumption of a linear scale from 'not progress' to 'progress' (or, more functionally in debates on here, 'uneducated' to 'educated') is fundamentally flawed, as it always seems to align perfectly with the theoristposter's very specific view of what is good/correct.

trundler

I think the assumption of a linear scale from 'not progress' to 'progress' (or, more functionally in debates on here, 'uneducated' to 'educated') is fundamentally flawed, as it always seems to align perfectly with the theoristposter's very specific view of what is good/correct.
Well, the post isn't about my view if progress at all, since I'm going by Harari's book.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There's 2 kinds of nihilism though. A hopeless one and optimistic absurdism.
Yes, perhaps I should have said "fatalism" instead.

My PhD supervisor accused me of being too fatalist the other day. It is my new favourite word.

SillyCowCorner1

Everyone of us is designed with a lens so as to see how the world should be.

Inevitability of progress depends on who or what is the majority in different parts of the world. We tend to have non-homogeneous beliefs. If we ought to unite as a global community, then it has to be because of something catastrophic happening on a global scale. Something that threatens our species.

Technology and truth have to play a part. Truth is subjective. That's where the complexity begins. We are crazy beings.

Is progress a mechanism towards peace? Of course it is.

Our greatest hero is yet to come.