• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Job Tips, Advice, Comiserations and Pitfalls Thread

ohnoitsyou

"Apparently" job prospects will pick up as soon as the boomer generation increase their rate of retirement. but seeing how there is another recession just round the corner...

What that article fails to mention is the effect that mass unemployment has on those in jobs, wages get driven down , increased casualization of the workforce etc. There was a good HBO documentary on it a while back.

Top_Cat

"Apparently" job prospects will pick up as soon as the boomer generation increase their rate of retirement. but seeing how there is another recession just round the corner...
Exactly. This is what so many Millenials just don't get, literally waiting in line for a job which won't be there when its vacated by the Boomer delaying retirement for another 5 years.

What that article fails to mention is the effect that mass unemployment has on those in jobs, wages get driven down , increased casualization of the workforce etc. There was a good HBO documentary on it a while back.
Bloke I used to play in a band with studies the topic, was getting some press for a while. But yeah, has dropped off the radar.

Professor Andrew Stewart

Burgey

It'll do all the Tory-loving Australian youth good to have to live through a recession. They don't know how good they've had it here for the past two decades.

Let them join the dole queue for a while, then get a **** paying, casual job in a non-unionised workplace where the boss can drop them like a bad habit for no good reason and treat them like ****. Because #freedom.

Merry Christmas.

Top_Cat

It'll do all the Tory-loving Australian youth good to have to live through a recession. They don't know how good they've had it here for the past two decades.

Let them join the dole queue for a while, then get a **** paying, casual job in a non-unionised workplace where the boss can drop them like a bad habit for no good reason and treat them like ****. Because #freedom.

Merry Christmas.
Some blame for the parents who utterly failed to educate them on how bad things can get because they thought it would last forever too.

ripper868

Well events gig fell through, got down to the last two and they went with someone vastly more experienced yada yada yada. best of luck to em. Meantime the casual gig I had has turned into Full time, it's nothing glamorous (courier) and I'm still on the hunt for a better job but it's a regular wage and It's not in an office (which is a nice change). Have been doing it casually for the last month and a bit which has been great for listening to the Ashes. Speaking of, time to change the ole avatar.

Top_Cat

Yeah, there's peace in a regular wage when you've been without one for a while. Good stuff.

Myself, about to give up my full time job for a scholarship wage. ****.

ripper868

Yeah, there's peace in a regular wage when you've been without one for a while. Good stuff.

Myself, about to give up my full time job for a scholarship wage. ****.
Indeed. And with 3 Weddings to attend this year (2 overseas) I can finally start putting a budget together to save for those trips (as opposed to making sure im covering rent/bills only.

When's the world tour for the Colourphonics?

Top_Cat

Can people booking o/s wedding please **** right off? Yeah it's your special day but don't be surprised if you and the missus are the only ones standing in the foyer of the Aquana.

Yeah, awkward convo with the band coming, to be honest....

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

Can people booking o/s wedding please **** right off? Yeah it's your special day but don't be surprised if you and the missus are the only ones standing in the foyer of the Aquana.

did the offer from Nickleback finally come through?

Top_Cat

If it ever does, so long any band I'm in at the time. Being hated by millions sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

ripper868

Haha true, to be fair one of them is justified (American Bride, marrying Mrs Ripper's Brother) which is tough to ignore. The other though is just a friend of Mrs Rippers, so we'll be off to Bali and I'll need to steal 2/3 days of Annual leave in the first two months of the new job. I'll be Mr Popular with the Manager.

Is it about the new glasses? They probably miss their old glasses.

ripper868

While I'm sure the care factor is near zero, I'm back working in sport (have been for a month). Contract role to end of October at which point I can go back to the courier gig if nothing new has come up. It's taken 12 months of resumes/interviews but **** me it's good to be back in the game.