• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Michael Clarke appreciation thread

Top_Cat

Haha, yeah exactly. You may think you need runs Michael but the team really doesn't need your runs. Bat below Johnson PLEASE.

Spark

Global Moderator
Gah. Was just looking through his early LO record... and he was a damn good LO player.

Why can't he just throw caution to the winds, back away and just go and try whacking every second ball over the bowler's head?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gah. Was just looking through his early LO record... and he was a damn good LO player.

Why can't he just throw caution to the winds, back away and just go and try whacking every second ball over the bowler's head?
Yeah he was.

The common theory is he's tightened up his technique so much to make him a MUCH better test player, that its affected his pyjama cricket game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Whilst that is an obvious reason I'm not sure that's all of it because for a while after his recall he was still pretty good. Had an average of almost 90 @ an SR of almost 100 in the World Cup, didn't he? 4 50's including 2 90's at quicker than a run a ball.

Spark

Global Moderator
No not after his recall, which was a while ago now. Like say the last 18 months?
But that's what I mean. He was still OK for about two years after the recall, and then became more and more timid. Is that all technique?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But he's become pretty damn good in the last 18 months in test cricket. He's gone from strength to strength.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah he was.

The common theory is he's tightened up his technique so much to make him a MUCH better test player, that its affected his pyjama cricket game.
I can't agree with that line of thought given how guys with impeccable techniques like Dravid, Kallis, Jayawardene all have done well in T20. It is more a question of his unwillingness to work on his game in that format. He has to play in the IPL or Big Bash to correct that. Which is why Hussey should take his place in the batting order. Hussey can do both jobs, consolidate the innings in case of early exit of openers, or carry on the good job done by them and provide the final touches as well. Clarke does not inspire any confidence in both areas.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean it's not like he can't smash boundaries. Even in his test innings he shows he has the ability to really turn up the tempo and whack them around. It's that, apart from one innings in NZ, he doesn't look like he wants to do anything but tap it into a gap for one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He has, and for that I am immensely thankful, but we are talking T20's here :p
Haha I know, but I'm just stating the evidence for that theory is pretty strong. There's almost an inverse relationship between Clarke's test success and his limited overs success.

andyc

I mean it's not like he can't smash boundaries. Even in his test innings he shows he has the ability to really turn up the tempo and whack them around. It's that, apart from one innings in NZ, he doesn't look like he wants to do anything but tap it into a gap for one.
Indeed, that's what's so frustrating about it. It's like he thinks that motoring at a run a ball is the way to go in T20s.

pasag

RTDAS
Indeed, that's what's so frustrating about it. It's like he thinks that motoring at a run a ball is the way to go in T20s.
Has to be an emperor's clothes situation in the dressing room at the moment with guys like Haddin saying he's the best player in the side.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Notwithstanding our own skipper's current travails, I'm surprised more of the old heads in the Aussie media haven't been talking about Clarke's direness in the format. Back when Tubby was having his nightmare run before the 97 Ashes the usual suspects (Chappelli, Harvey...) were all lining up to say you pick your best 11 players and a captain from them.

Fair to say already Clarke's no Taylor as captains go and he's having a Barry Crocker with the bat too. If he's one of the best 6/7 2020 batsman I'm a coffee bean.

andyc

Notwithstanding our own skipper's current travails, I'm surprised more of the old heads in the Aussie media haven't been talking about Clarke's direness in the format. Back when Tubby was having his nightmare run before the 97 Ashes the usual suspects (Chappelli, Harvey...) were all lining up to say you pick your best 11 players and a captain from them.

Fair to say already Clarke's no Taylor as captains go and he's having a Barry Crocker with the bat too. If he's one of the best 6/7 2020 batsman I'm a coffee bean.
Yeah, that's definitely one of the most frustrating thing for me. When Katich was scoring slowly at the top of the order in ODIs a couple of years ago, every journo was having a crack, but no one says a peep about Clarke. Even his ODI decline, which has been in motion for well over a year as pasag will happily point out, has only been brought up in the last series or two. The ridiculous thing is that if you talk to any semi-knowledgeable cricket fan, Australian or otherwise, they'll all agree that he's gash at T20s, but there's nothing in the papers. It's as if the increasing fanboyism from Grieg, Lawry and co. in the commentary box is rubbing off on the media as well.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I think it's a genuine case of the journalists in the country not bothering to actually analyse the T20 team much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, indeed. This wouldn't even be so bad if he scored a lot of runs doing it though - for example before this tournament Misbah averaged about 48 with the bat at a strike rate of 115 or so. Having someone like this in the team may negate the opportunity to score really, really big totals batting first if they bat up the order, but what it does do is give the team more consistency and decrease the likelihood of posting totals that are simply not defendable at all. This is what Clarke does in ODIs really - he makes the side a lot more consistent in the scores they post and if you have a good bowling attack this actually works pretty well batting first. The real problem with Clarke in T20s is that he anchors for a little bit and then just gets out - he serves absolutely no purpose at all.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Clarke's alteration of his technique has definitely reduced his ability to score quickly. He has to have his arms completely freed up to hit the ball powerfully - which is why he still cover drives so well in Test cricket. If you bowl at the stumps, he can't hit powerfully from the region of mid-off and mid-wicket; which is really the key region for a good Twenty20 player to be able to hit the ball and score boundaries.