• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The New Zealand Politics Thread

Flem274*

123/5
TIL about the 1951 waterfront strike

Jesus, imagine an NZ government making striking and giving food to strikers families illegal and censoring the press today? They'd be immediately removed from government

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I mean, technically, you're supposed to delete any music purchased music and movies off your electronic devices before passing between countries (well, that used to be the case, dunno if it still is). It's one of those laws rarely, if ever, enforced. According to the article, they searched 500+ devices last year, out of 3.7 million tourist visits to the country.

But I guess the implication is pretty scary.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Yeah, I mean customs still requires "reasonable grounds" to get someones password, which presumably would be something like a tip-off from a foreign law agency that that person is likely to be carrying objectionable material. Still fairly alarming at first glance.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Saw a similar disclaimer about giving up your phone password to American customs earlier this year, so was slightly concerned I was going to have an irritatingly long talk with customs this time round. Nope, legitimately didn't even talk to me.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
It's just so out of touch. Anyone with any real nefarious intent will not have any incriminating information on their devices anyway.

Hicheal Michael

Internal polling must have National up, given the number of hit pieces on Bridges in the last few days.

I see the Greens are ramping up their drug reform ideas, citing the issues with synthetics. The cynic in me must point out that if the matter means as much to them as they claim it to, they would surely not settled for a meek confidence and supply agreement that renders them rather useless.

Flem274*

123/5
now is the right time to play hardball with them as well. their PM is weak, the one who'll make a coup in a few months is also weak, and their government is weak. what exactly does the australian PM have to fight with? he has no political capital being just another blow in waiting to be discarded for the next.

of course the real answer to this is labour/national think a few hundred lives ruined and some deaths isn't worth a political mud slinging match or economic tit for tat with our closest ally, but just for fun the counter argument could be allowing an increasingly insular and winston peterish nation to increasingly treat 'NZers", not matter how tenuous the connection, like they're no different to the refugees they also mistreat is a very dangerous position to put ourselves in.

if a nation cannot protect it's citizens then it is not a nation. anyone who mistreats the people in your care (in this case even if they're just perceived to be ours) needs to be given a harsh lesson or they will continue to ramp up their transgressions.

Last edited:

TNT

Banned
now is the right time to play hardball with them as well. their PM is weak, the one who'll make a coup in a few months is also weak, and their government is weak. what exactly does the australian PM have to fight with? he has no political capital being just another blow in waiting to be discarded for the next.

of course the real answer to this is labour/national think a few hundred lives ruined and some deaths isn't worth a political mud slinging match or economic tit for tat with our closest ally, but just for fun the counter argument could be allowing an increasingly insular and winston peterish nation to increasingly treat 'NZers", not matter how tenuous the connection, like they're no different to the refugees they also mistreat is a very dangerous position to put ourselves in.

if a nation cannot protect it's citizens then it is not a nation. anyone who mistreats the people in your care (in this case even if they're just perceived to be ours) needs to be given a harsh lesson or they will continue to ramp up their transgressions.
You are just talking about criminals here, what would be the point of having laws if there are no consequences?.

Bahnz

You are just talking about criminals here, what would be the point of having laws if there are no consequences?.
Well the article shows that it's not just criminals who are being deported. But even if it where, the whole point of the article is that - regardless whether it's strictly legal - exiling somebody from what is essentially their home country and their family is an absurd response for what in a lot of cases has been some fairly minor offending.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Meanwhile, it's been amusing watching the National party absolutely tear itself apart over the past couple days. This is a pretty spectacular own goal for Bridges, everybody would've completely forgotten about this by now if he'd just let it be.

hendrix

Meanwhile, it's been amusing watching the National party absolutely tear itself apart over the past couple days. This is a pretty spectacular own goal for Bridges, everybody would've completely forgotten about this by now if he'd just let it be.
Those Ross tweets are insane. Was he drunk? Never seen a politician burn so many Bridges. Oh yes I did.

_Ed_

This is a pretty spectacular own goal for Bridges, everybody would've completely forgotten about this by now if he'd just let it be.
Yep, exactly.

Meanwhile, Ross has ramped things up again this morning.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yep, exactly.

Meanwhile, Ross has ramped things up again this morning.
I legitimately just went to the NZC website, because reading "Ross has ramped things up again this morning" made me assume something exciting was happening in domestic cricket.