• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Togo team bus attacked

Mr Mxyzptlk

This issue transcends sport, so I've started the topic here instead of the Sports forum.

Read here.

According to various reports the Togolese team bus has been attacked in Cabinda, Angola, after crossing into the country by road from the Republic of Congo.

The latest news indicates that the driver of the bus has died from gunshot wounds. Two players have been confirmed as having been shot, with a further two bus passengers suffering from unknown injuries.

The rest of the passengers, including the Togolese team, were immediately taken to the nearest hospital for injured players to receive treatment.

Clubs around the world are attempting to ascertain the status of their own players, with reports from England indicating that Emmanuel Adebayor of Manchester City is unharmed.

A goalkeeper, a press officer and a team doctor are said to be among those hurt.

"I’m doing ok but a number of players are in bad shape. We’re still at the hospital. We were shot at like dogs and had to lie under our chairs for 20 minutes to avoid the bullets," said a distressed Thomas Dossevi while speaking to French radio station RMC.

Earlier on an Angolan spokesperson commented on the early outcome of the attack, before news of the bus driver's fate emerged. He said: "Two players have been shot. Nobody has been killed. We are working to establish the extent of the injuries and more details. We do not know which players have been shot."

The bus was attacked just over the border from Congo into Cabinda, an Angolan exclave. The oil-rich province of Cabinda has recently been embroiled in a long-running independence struggle with Angola. Nonetheless, seven African Cup of Nations matches are scheduled to take place in Cabinda's main city.

Togo had conducted a training camp in Pointe-Noire, Republic of Congo prior to the African Cup of Nations, which is due to begin this Sunday.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pulled out of the tournament now, not at all surprising really. Imagine there might be more to follow suit as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Apparently they're urging that the tournament be called off. And given a certain other African tournament later this year, Sepp is obviously extremely concerned.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Probably should be called off imo, these events have totally overshadowed anything that will follow, doubt it will be though.

Protean

I wonder why they chose to schedule matches there if they knew of the unrest in the area? Seems crazy.

Marcuss

Hmmm, I wonder why Adebayor didn't run the length of the field to celebrate infront of these gunners.

Craig

World Traveller
I wonder why they chose to schedule matches there if they knew of the unrest in the area? Seems crazy.
According to social, Angola has a **** load of oil.

Hmmm, I wonder why Adebayor didn't run the length of the field to celebrate infront of these gunners.
Because there were holes in their defence.
:laugh:

As I said in the the footie thread, Africa has a lot of natural resources (oild, gold, diamonds, various metals, coffee, cocoa etc.), and if people were not as corrupt, they would be really power house continent. I know having the English, French, Portugese, and the Belgians running the show there for a long time didn't help either I don't think, but they are not there anymore. But I think on the other hand, us white folk don't want Africa to fix itself up because we would pay a lot more for items like cocoa etc.

It is not as though the continent doesn't have anything going for it, but a lot of the countries there just erupt into civial war. Why did Japan pull it self together after having two atomic bombs dropped on it and not only that, it has become a super power, and not end up like Africa? I'm hardly an expert, so I would be interested in what people think, so if I am wrong, please correct me :)

EDIT: Two things I have found since I have done a bit of reading:

1) Cabinda Province, the attacks were done by a separatist group to get independence. So I guess independence from Angola is their aim.

2) Why on earth were the Togo team taking a bus from Congo? Whatever their reasons for being in Congo (training camp?), couldn't they just fly to Angola?

Last edited:

cpr

Well Cabinda is seperate from the rest of the country, would have to go through Congo anyway. My theory is they stayed as long in Congo as possible because they had less chance of getting shot there......

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Well Cabinda is seperate from the rest of the country, would have to go through Congo anyway. My theory is they stayed as long in Congo as possible because they had less chance of getting shot there......
When you've got to go you've got Togo.

DaRick

According to social, Angola has a **** load of oil.
Yep...and 60% comes from that enclave, I think. No wonder Angola doesn't want an independent Cabinda. They need oil revenues badly, given the state of their country (still recovering from civil war).

The separatist movement is called FLEC, I believe.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
No, the other teams flew. Togo were advised to fly but they were being cheap.

And they're staying in the tournament.