• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Togo team bus attacked

social

According to social, Angola has a **** load of oil.

:laugh:

As I said in the the footie thread, Africa has a lot of natural resources (oild, gold, diamonds, various metals, coffee, cocoa etc.), and if people were not as corrupt, they would be really power house continent. I know having the English, French, Portugese, and the Belgians running the show there for a long time didn't help either I don't think, but they are not there anymore. But I think on the other hand, us white folk don't want Africa to fix itself up because we would pay a lot more for items like cocoa etc.

It is not as though the continent doesn't have anything going for it, but a lot of the countries there just erupt into civial war. Why did Japan pull it self together after having two atomic bombs dropped on it and not only that, it has become a super power, and not end up like Africa? I'm hardly an expert, so I would be interested in what people think, so if I am wrong, please correct me :)

EDIT: Two things I have found since I have done a bit of reading:

1) Cabinda Province, the attacks were done by a separatist group to get independence. So I guess independence from Angola is their aim.

2) Why on earth were the Togo team taking a bus from Congo? Whatever their reasons for being in Congo (training camp?), couldn't they just fly to Angola?
If you ever get the chance, read a book called "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin (warning: it's expensive and looooooong but fascinating).

The book describes the history of the oil industry and how that resource influences power and corrupts people (e.g. Winston Churchill :-O) because of the riches associated with it

After a chapter or two, you'll understand that this is simply history repeating itself

Btw, the book won the the Pulitzer Prize so you know it's not just some drug-store crap

Craig

World Traveller
Now the CAF have disqualified Togo from the ACoN after they went home after the shooting. What a joke.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Good/Depressing to see there are organisations out that there make the ICC seem like an altruistic, competent organisation.

DaRick

The book describes the history of the oil industry and how that resource influences power and corrupts people (e.g. Winston Churchill :-O) because of the riches associated with it
You know, it is funny how a lot of oil-rich countries are corrupt, third-world holes which are ravaged by war on occasion. Angola, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Nigeria, Algeria, Libya, Venezuela and even Russia are examples of such.

Actually, have a look at this and you'll find a bunch of those types of countries near the top (with some exceptions, of course):

List of countries by proven oil reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia