• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Five Cricketers from each country

bagapath

Top 5 for both tests and ODIs

Australia

Ponting
McGrath
Gilchrist
Warne
S. Waugh

India

Tendulkar
Kapil Dev
Kohli
Dhoni
Sehwag

West Indies

Viv Richards
Lara
Ambrose
Garner
Greenidge

Pakistan

Imran
Miandad
Akram
Waqar
Anwar

South Africa

Donald
S. Pollock
ABDV
Amla
Gary Kirsten

Bolo

His strike rate is very ordinary.
Not that important. ICC rankings aren't perfect, but they tell a story. Pollock spent more time at the top than anyone else iirc. Lee... not. Pollock had a 150ish point lead on number 2 bowler when he retired. Not sure even Bradman had this type of rankings gap between him and number 2 at any stage. Only garner comparable to pollock if we look at peer/era comparison.

Pap Finn Keighl

Top 5 for both tests and ODIs

Australia

Ponting
McGrath
Gilchrist
Warne
S. Waugh

India

Tendulkar
Kapil Dev
Kohli
Dhoni
Sehwag

West Indies

Viv Richards
Lara
Ambrose
Garner
Greenidge

Pakistan

Imran
Miandad
Akram
Waqar
Anwar

South Africa

Donald
S. Pollock
ABDV
Amla
Gary Kirsten
Chappell and Lillee instead of Warne and Waugh.

Gavaskar / Ganguly for Sehwag ..? not sure

Holding or Lloyd or Roberts for Greenidge

Akthar for Anwar

Kallis for Amla

Steyn for Kirsten

Logan

Richard Hadlee is an underrated bowler IMO. If one considers both Tests and ODIs, Hadlee is arguably the greatest fast bowler ever. Any reason why people pick McGrath or Marshall ahead of him in most ATG teams?

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Richard Hadlee is an underrated bowler IMO. If one considers both Tests and ODIs, Hadlee is arguably the greatest fast bowler ever. Any reason why people pick McGrath or Marshall ahead of him in most ATG teams?
Because default meaning of cricket on cricketweb is test cricket. And he is seen as being in the same conversation as Marshall and McGrath. In fact as a cricketer he is seen as being better than both.

Marshall is just not seen as a great odi bowler, which tbf, he wasn't.

But as far as Odis go there are a number of bowlers he is behind. Like McGrath, wasim, Garner etc

Burgey

Garner was so ****ing good. As for his fielding, you had to get some very big air on a cut shot to get it over Big Bird's head.

h_hurricane

Hadlee is criminally under-rated. Hard to separate him and Mcgrath/Ambrose. Only a whisker behind Marshall as an ATG bowler. Also, a better cricketer than all of them easily.

If I have to pick an ATG XI, it would have Hadlee,Imran and Marshall. Gives great depth in batting as well. What a decade 1980s was, when all 3 were at their absolute best.

Logan

I am curious as to why Marshall is often regarded as the undisputed best. Legends like Joel Garner and Richard Hadlee were just as good.

To me, Garner was similar to McGrath/Ambrose but slightly better.

h_hurricane

A combination of average,strike rate and being great in all conditions made Marshall a tiny bit ahead of every one else. Hadlee,Mcgrath and Ambrose too have great records in most conditions.

And yes, Joel Garner is really under-rated. His record says he is as good as Mcgrath and Ambrose. May be because his career was shorter and no ten wicket hauls.

Burgey

Hadlee is criminally under-rated. Hard to separate him and Mcgrath/Ambrose. Only a whisker behind Marshall as an ATG bowler. Also, a better cricketer than all of them easily.

If I have to pick an ATG XI, it would have Hadlee,Imran and Marshall. Gives great depth in batting as well. What a decade 1980s was, when all 3 were at their absolute best.
Hadlee isn’t under rated at all. No one on here ever says anything other than that he belongs in the absolutely highest class of fast bowlers. Literally no one.

Pap Finn Keighl

My top 7 all-time

Sobers
Bradman
WG
Procter
Barnes
Gavaskar
Hadlee

AT 11 ( excluding Barnes and WG )

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Sachin
Lara
Sobers
Gilly
Procter
Hadlee ( interchangable with Marshall )
Akram
Murali

Imran's fielding is a letdown and less fire power with bat ( only when comparing to a certain Procter )

h_hurricane

My top 7 all-time

Sobers
Bradman
WG
Procter
Barnes
Gavaskar
Hadlee

AT 11 ( excluding Barnes and WG )

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Sachin
Lara
Sobers
Gilly
Procter
Hadlee ( interchangable with Marshall )
Akram
Murali

Imran's fielding is a letdown and less fire power with bat ( only when comparing to a certain Procter )
I would go with the below.

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne

Bolo

Hadlee isn’t under rated at all. No one on here ever says anything other than that he belongs in the absolutely highest class of fast bowlers. Literally no one.
I don't think he is notably underrated as a test bowler by many. Pretty much everyone ranks him in the top handful where he belongs.

He is likely underranked in odis. I dont think any of us know what to do with odi rankings for early players. It ends up as viv + garner of the pre 90s players and the rest get forgotten. I have no idea if Hadlee was the 2nd or 20th best odi quick.

He is definitely underranked as a test player. When his batting is thrown into the mix, there is little reason to consider players like steyn/McGrath as his equal, and many rank them ahead

Pap Finn Keighl

Who was the better Batsman between Hadlee and S.Pollock ?
Most people rates Hadlee ahead , I think.
Interested to know the reason.

trundler

Marshall exemplified all that is good and holy about fast bowling. The lowly spinner is reduced to an unsightly defensive option when conditions do not suit him. The great fast bowler puts on a show regardless. Enough pace to shatter a nose + movement either way any day + accuracy. Marshall has all the tools his rivals boast. And more.