• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Five Cricketers from each country

stephen

Richie actually averaged 41.20 in FC matches excluding Tests that he averaged 24.45.

Mark Waugh is another under achiever in Tests. Averaged 58.10 in FC matches excluding his 41.81 in Tests

Also Keith Miller, averaged 53.45 in FC matches excluding his 36.97 in Tests.
And this is where averages need to be looked at in context. Mark Waugh had a very good test career, despite a relatively low average. He played many innings of importance to Australia. His average was so low because he rarely hit a big score (his highest score was 151). He scored 20 hundreds in 128 tests (15% of tests) and 47 fifties (37%). By contrast, his ATG brother scored 32 hundreds in 168 tests (19%) and 50 50s (29%). Allan Border scored 27 centuries in 156 tests (17%) and 63 50s (40%). Mark Waugh crossed 50 more often than Steve did but less often than Border. So basically Mark Waugh wasn't that far behind two ATG contemporaries.

Last edited:

bagapath

top 5 Aussie cricketers from g. chappel's debut to border's retirement (25 years)

G.Chappell
Lillee
Border
Walters
I. Chappell

Top 5 Indian cricketers from Gavaskar's debut to Kapil Dev's retirement (24 years)

Gavaskar
Kapil Dev
Bedi
Chandra
Prasanna

Top 5 West Indies Cricketers from Sobers' retirement to Ambrose's retirement (26 years)

Viv Richards
Malcolm Marshall
Brian Lara
Curtley Ambrose
Gordon Greenidge

h_hurricane

top 5 Aussie cricketers from g. chappel's debut to border's retirement (25 years)

G.Chappell
Lillee
Border
Walters
I. Chappell

Top 5 Indian cricketers from Gavaskar's debut to Kapil Dev's retirement (24 years)

Gavaskar
Kapil Dev
Bedi
Chandra
Prasanna

Top 5 West Indies Cricketers from Sobers' retirement to Ambrose's retirement (26 years)

Viv Richards
Malcolm Marshall
Brian Lara
Curtley Ambrose
Gordon Greenidge
Walsh,Garner,Holding and Roberts surely should be above Greenidge I reckon.

Burgey

Baggers, are you going on what those players achieved in that period, because if you're ranking players who played during that period on their careers, then McGrath, S Waugh, Warne and Healy would be in strong contention, surely.

bagapath

Baggers, are you going on what those players achieved in that period, because if you're ranking players who played during that period on their careers, then McGrath, S Waugh, Warne and Healy would be in strong contention, surely.[/Q]

Yeah, sticking to that period.

Warne and McGrath had spent only about 10-15% of their illustrious careers under Border.

S Waugh can replace I Chappell in someone's rankings, I agree

bagapath

top 5 pre WW 1 Aussie top 5

Hill
Trumper
Noble
Spofforth
Turner

top 5 pre WW 1 English top 5

Grace
Fry
Rhodes
Barnes
Ranji

a massive zebra

I'd put a whole stack of guys ahead of Fry who was relatively underwhelming at Test level and was selected for less than half of the Ashes tests between his debut and his final match. I think either Lohmann or Hobbs would get the nod, but guys like Shrewsbury, Jackson, Richardson and Briggs should also be ranked ahead of Fry.

Last edited:

mr_mister

And what about Armstrong/Macartney over Turner? Or did they peak post war

An ATG pre WW1 England side v Australia side would have England as heavy favourites imo. Funny the actual record between the two sides favoured Australia

Bolo

Not unless you include captaincy.

Still probably not, tbh.
Definitely ABDV if captaincy is included. Those 4ish years languishing at 6ish in the ICC rankings under smith were the most painful time in RSA history.

vcs

Your low opinion of Smith's captaincy must certainly be an unpopular one haha. Most people think he was a pretty terrific leader.

Bolo

It really wasn't.
We've been a top side consistently since readmission, except for that patch.

Other stuff hurt more briefly. WCs and hansie most notably. But they didn't last 4 years. Definitely the most painful cumulatively.

AndrewB

And what about Armstrong/Macartney over Turner? Or did they peak post war

An ATG pre WW1 England side v Australia side would have England as heavy favourites imo. Funny the actual record between the two sides favoured Australia
England won more Tests and series pre-WW1, though admittedly that's largely due to them dominating early on (Aus were 5-2 ahead after the "Ashes" Test of 1882, but England won most of the 1880s Tests after that).