• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why?

andyc

Just wondering why this thread was closed. Clearly, it's nothing special and it wasn't going anywhere, but if someone's closing a thread, they should at least explain why instead of just doing it out of the blue.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sorry guys - that's my fault. It was closed as it legitimately added nothing.

Forum rules said:
No spamming - Spamming is characterized by the initiation of threads or posts that contribute nothing to a forum, be it off topic or on topic.
I love a good pun as much as the next guy, but the thread wasn't even created for that purpose.

In any rate, apologies for not explaining myself at the time - I'll do so whenever I close a thread from now on.

Perm

Cheers for the explanation Prince, I thought it was a bit odd when I seen the thread had been closed, but I wasn't overly surprised.

andyc

Haha yeah, I had nothing against the thread being closed in itself, just thought it was a bit strange. Thanks :)

Fiery

Banned

I love a good pun as much as the next guy, but the thread wasn't even created for that purpose.

In any rate, apologies for not explaining myself at the time - I'll do so whenever I close a thread from now on.
A bit of fun...what was the harm?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bit surprised, TBH - no thread is ever created with the intention of punning, but often a fairly going-nowhere thread like that (yaju's speciality - and that's not a criticism, Marc once described him as "someone we all like because he is and always has been random" which is pretty accurate) will turn into puns, especially when *certain people* (and I count myself very much amongst them) are around. Another example was the Dav-vs-Beatles thread.

No biggie, of course, but as I say - bit surprised. Sure, punning's a bit of a waste of bandwidth but I'd hate it if every pun thread was closed and not sure why this was singled-out.

Matteh

The Chaser is basically Trigger Happy only with a more satirical edge. Therefore it's great.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The major problem with the thread was that there was actually never any real discussion in it in the first place. Most of the punning threads usually at least get a page out before they head off track; this thread generated no real discussion at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Dav-vs-Beatles thread (never remotely serious and just a thread that was crying out for punnage) got, what, 10 posts at best before punning started?

In any case, I generally try to avoid punning in a thread where people are actually trying to discuss something, and I presume Whelan and all the rest of the Pun Clan do too. It's usually just a thread which had no big purpose ITFP that it tends to start in in my experience.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
no thread is ever created with the intention of punning, but often a fairly going-nowhere thread like that (yaju's speciality - and that's not a criticism, Marc once described him as "someone we all like because he is and always has been random" which is pretty accurate) will turn into puns.

LongHopCassidy

Not critical in any way, but I thought that the punnage that flowered from such an abject concept was an admirable attempt to salvage the thread. I can't help but think that it would have been a much more justified closure had it stayed on track.

That's the purpose of punnage, after all - to give a bit of rigor-mortis to dead threads! :D