• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Jonny like some cheese and crackers with that Whine?

quincywagstaff

The key comment in those Bairstow quotes is the boasting about they're playing a "great brand".

It's like they think having the reputation of being ultra-aggressive and racking up 400+ scores gifts you a free pass in major tournaments. Who cares what your "brand" is when you don't deliver when it matters? Serious hubris in that mindset.

An interesting contrast with the comments of Ricky Ponting - who knows a thing or two about winning major ODI tournaments - post the England match and his observations about how tournament play is different to bilateral series and that being something England haven't really adjusted to. Amazing that England haven't really adjusted to this so far, especially after the 2017 CT semi-final.

Zinzan

I know the French like to pride themselves on their bluff northern hardness, but they're a precious little bunch of flowers really, aren't they?

There's essentially two ways teams respond to pressure. Some (the All Blacks are perhaps the most obvious example) use it as a fuel, the expectation of a nation manifests as a steely determination not to be part of the team that didn't; others, like us, crumble like stale digestives and have, as Heath Franklin's Chopper might have it, a sook and a ****ing cry.
Very apt "All Black" reference there. So very true.

Flem274*

123/5
i love that of all the things they could have stolen from mccullums legacy, they chose aggression rights and brands of cricket instead of uniting a disunited team and teaching them to win again.

Jezroy

i love that of all the things they could have stolen from mccullums legacy, they chose aggression rights and brands of cricket instead of uniting a disunited team and teaching them to win again.
Faf talked about earning the right to build a big partnership with Hashim as well.

#earntheright

zorax

likes this
Jesus, the op article is basically textbook ‘how not to respond to a troll stuff’.

Obviously, it’s in a pretty inconsequential circumstance compared to the leadership group debacle but I mean where’s the ****ing edge in speaking like that right now when you have two KO games coming up? What are you gaining?
Morgan and Stokes were very prickly after the last game too IMO.
Reckon the dressing room is letting them get fired up in hopes that it brings out something special in the remainder of the games. They need if it they're to qualify

TheJediBrah

I love the irony of saying "It's a typical English thing to do" in the midst of a massively embarrassing, typically English whine

I don't know, you could make the argument he's showing mental strength by saying they'll stick to their approach even though it hasn't worked so far.
You could make the argument that he's a 3 foot tall leprechaun with helicopter blades poking out his head and nipples that shoot fairy floss, but you'd be wrong

Last edited:

the big bambino

Not so sure England is done. Wouldn't be the first time a team limps through the qualifiers, just get into the finals and kills it. If they get the pitches to suit their wham bam style (and I suspect that is the reason for the whinging), England are still good enough to win.

Victor Ian

Maybe England is sucking everyone in. They prepare these tough pitches so everyone adapts their style... Except England. They keep playing conan because they know things will change for the finals.

mr_mister

Not so sure England is done. Wouldn't be the first time a team limps through the qualifiers, just get into the finals and kills it. If they get the pitches to suit their wham bam style (and I suspect that is the reason for the whinging), England are still good enough to win.
Tactical whinging looking the smart play here

the big bambino

How exactly can he influence the pitches? They’re in the hands of the ICC aren’t they?
Cricket chat really seems to upset you. How about something else like movies? For some reason I’m recalling that scene in a fish called Wanda when the Curtis character said to the Kline character that apes can read, they just don’t understand what it is they’re reading.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting article in today's Guardian from Ali Martin.

He baldly states Johnny Red's statement to the press didn't go down too well with the England squad:

Ali Martin said:
Bairstow’s comments went down poorly in an England dressing room that has experienced unprecedented support from fans and its board. Most understand that the tenor of the media coverage they receive is results driven but this is not Bairstow’s strong point.
And that last sentence is one of a few passages where, if not actually implying it, the author certainly allows his reader to infer that YJB isn't perhaps the deepest thinker:

Ali Martin said:
A kind-hearted soul, but one who is sometimes prone to misreading others and getting wound up unnecessarily, he is never more dangerous with a bat in hand than when he has a point to prove or feels personally under attack, be it genuine or otherwise.

Howe_zat

Remember when he greeted someone with a head butting?

The notion that some very good cricketers are also not the sharpest and that’s okay still catches a lot of the Oxbridge press off guard I think. We still insist that these blokes sit down in front of the media and respond to every question with considered, insightful analysis. But not every cricketer is Mike Selvey. Some of them are Ian Botham.

TheJediBrah

How exactly can he influence the pitches? They’re in the hands of the ICC aren’t they?
Oh very easily. Smart play by Johnny tbh. I feel like it would very easy for groundsmen to be influenced by this kind of media. I hope they don't though, I much prefer 250-280 score games than 330-380.

Burgey

Vaughan is, and always has been, a turd.

Good player on his day. Very good at his best in fact. But as a bloke, has always come across as a right dickhead. And pretty dense as well. .
Never trust a man who has no chin