• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World Cup 11 and subs (that you've seen).

Pedro Delgado

Code:
        Shilton

Desailly   McGrath   Wright

Mattheus   

Socrates  Gazza    Platini     Eder    

Maradona

Lineker
Subs:
Zico
Falcao
Careca
Zoff
Maldini

Older members than I (there won't be that many 8-) ) will have better teams I think. Zico is my favourite ever player but just misses out to Lineker. Can't remember the centre halves from '82 or '86 that well so I went for two from '90, McGrath was superb anyway and Wright was in his pomp (and was a Ram) plus Desailly who was a colossus in '98.

The rest speak for themselves I think. Not sure about Gazza really it's a romantic pick.
I'm choosing from '82 onwards, only have very vague memories of '78 as I was but seven years of age. LE's should be a good 'un (if he can be arsed).

E2A: Bugger me there's three ex-Rams in there, splendid.

Last edited:

grecian

Jennings

Cafu
Maldini
Passerella
Baresi

Platini
Zidane
Breitner
Rivaldo

Maradona

Ronaldo

subs

Zico
Rumenigge
Zoff
Pearce
Desailly

Matteh

Kahn

Cafu - Desailly - Mattheus - Maldini

Nakata - Zidane - Davids - Boban

Suker - Shearer

First World Cup since me being interested in football was '98 - so a limited choice....

Pedro Delgado

Nakata? I know he wasn't the player he is now in '02 but I'd have Ronaldinho ahead of the wee fella. Otherwise it's a ruddy good side.

Barney Rubble

Well, having seen only two World Cups, '98 and '02, I'm limited in my options. I do remember watching part of '94, but unfortunately it was a game involving Nigeria and Bulgaria, I think. :p

Code:
               Seaman

Cafu       Thuram    Maldini   Roberto Carlos

Ronaldinho   Prosinecki  Zidane    Rivaldo

Batistuta    Shearer
E2A Subs: Khan, Desailly, Bergkamp, Owen, Davids

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
Well, having seen only two World Cups, '98 and '02, I'm limited in my options. I do remember watching part of '94, but unfortunately it was a game involving Nigeria and Bulgaria, I think. :p
Stoichkov, Lechkov, Kostadinov. Legends, all of 'em. Even if slightly brutal. :p

Oh, and Seaman? Surely you are taking the proverbial?

My side (not to be taken very seriously :D ):

Code:
                  Ravelli

Desailly   Bratseth  Maldini   Bjørnebye

Ronaldinho  Zidane  A Svensson  Ingesson

Romario  T.A. Flo
Ravelli for the penalty save in WC94 against Romania
Bjørnebye and T.A. Flo for the goal against Brazil in WC98
Bratseth for general awesomeness
Maldini for being the only central defender I could come up with
Desailly for same reason as Maldini
Ronaldinho for scoring on Seaman
Zidane for winning 98
A Svensson for being the only good Swedish player in 02
Ingesson because I need a moose
Romario for winning 94

Subs: Oli Kahn (for being the Great Khan), Bebeto (for baby-celebration), Owen (for that goal v Argentina 98), Campbell (for the not-goal v Argentina 98), Batty (for being English)

Barney Rubble

Samuel_Vimes said:
Oh, and Seaman? Surely you are taking the proverbial?
Maybe I'm letting Euro '96 cloud my judgement, but he had a fantastic '98 tournament as far as I can remember, and was solid in 2002 apart from the obvious. Had a great game against Argentina. Out of all the other keepers who played both tournaments (I was trying to include as many players as possible who did) there weren't many other contenders - unless my memory is getting rapidly worse.

steds

Code:
                  Leighton

Dailly     Hendry  Calderwood   Boyd

Burley     Collins  Lambert    Jackson

Durie    Gallacher
:ph34r:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seen every WC since 1958 - but in 58 and 62 there was little coverage that I saw.

Yashin

Santos D
Beckenbauer
Moore
Facchetti

Ardiles
Cruyff
Charlton R

Rummenigge
Eusebio
Pele

The goalie was the hardest choice - could have been 1 of 4.

Jungle Jumbo

I've only seen 98 and 2006, but have watched enough of other sides (highlights, documentaries) to put this team forward:

(4-2-3-1)

1. Yashin

2. Cafu
5. Beckembauer
6. Moore
3. Maldini

4. Matthaus
8. Platini

7. Garrincha
10. Pele
11. Maradona

9. Eusebio

More of an all-time great side than anything else. Haven't really seen much of Platini, Eusebio and Beckenbauer, but they get my nod.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Jungle Jumbo said:
I've only seen 98 and 2006, but have watched enough of other sides (highlights, documentaries) to put this team forward:

(4-2-3-1)

1. Yashin

2. Cafu
5. Beckembauer
6. Moore
3. Maldini

4. Matthaus
8. Platini

7. Garrincha
10. Pele
11. Maradona

9. Eusebio

More of an all-time great side than anything else. Haven't really seen much of Platini, Eusebio and Beckenbauer, but they get my nod.
That side would royally kick ****. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jungle Jumbo said:
Put us out of our misery, who wins?! ;)