• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

PhoenixFire

As one of those who've seized upon this as a discussion point, it's just completely incorrect to assume that I've done so to cover up those facts. I've acknowledged them fully and have been bitterly, bitterly disappointed by England's performance throughout this Test and I have expressed as much on this messageboard. Particularly in the England 1st innings where I was and remain highly critical of our team's performance. On a pitch like Cardiff, that is where we thew the game away and very nearly lost it.

And as for being critical of Ponting's behaviour and humbug, well I've expressed precisely the same sort of thoughts when England have won (eg Trent Bridge 2005) and when England haven't been taking part (eg just about every time St Ricky has bestowed on us his musings on the Spirit of Cricket). Others are the same. So don't kid yourself that we do this only when we lose. We may be boring but we're not inconsistent.
:notworthy

honestbharani

Haha, I don't get what the fuss is about when the Indian fans get cranky regarding Ponting either. He wasn't given a crucial decision and got mildly annoyed? By God, what a horrible man.
"mildly" annoyed... So if he was actally annoyed, he would stick the stump into the umpire? 8-)

honestbharani

think it was the same incident ...he did charge towards the umpire atleats took 7-8 steps towards umpire from silly point
he was blatantly intimidating the umpire and his reaction after it was turned down was even more telling.. AS I said, if that was him being "mildly" annoyed, I hate to think what he will do when he is actually annoyed.

Didn't he make a big song and dance that an Indian batsman didn't accept his word for a catch and the umps gave it not out as the replays were inconclusive?

ripper868

he was blatantly intimidating the umpire and his reaction after it was turned down was even more telling.. AS I said, if that was him being "mildly" annoyed, I hate to think what he will do when he is actually annoyed.

Didn't he make a big song and dance that an Indian batsman didn't accept his word for a catch and the umps gave it not out as the replays were inconclusive?
Yes and isn't little Harbajahn just a saint:dry:

Uppercut

Maybe in India walking towards the umpire indicating that you caught the ball while looking annoyed is a lynching offence, but in our world I'm surprised any eyelids have been batted.

Apparently, that rule doesn't apply to Aussies...
The same rules apply to all cricketers its just some people see things differently depending on the nationality of the player. If Ponting sneezes then some people get all hysterical and want him banned, fined or whatever,

Ponting is such a great batsman you cannot argue that, Ponting is such a great fieldsman you cannot argue that, Ponting has been extremely successful and you cant argue that, What is left is things that cant be defined one way or another so these are the things people will argue like what he is thinking or how you dont like the way he appeals or some other stupid thing.

Ponting has taken the Australian team from what they were with McGrath, Warne and co and rebuilt them into todays effecient and developing team, which by the way is something you have to be a very good captain to do, just ask Peitersen what its like to bring about change within a team or any other of the myriad of failed captains like Tendulkar, Lara, Malik, Flintoff, and the list goes on.

As far as umpires and thier relationship with Ponting its all about perception, Ponting talks to the umpire and you think its abuse or intimidation but then again you dont know what was said but it is Ponting and like I said what are the only things you can argue about.