• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

honestbharani

The same rules apply to all cricketers its just some people see things differently depending on the nationality of the player. If Ponting sneezes then some people get all hysterical and want him banned, fined or whatever,

Ponting is such a great batsman you cannot argue that, Ponting is such a great fieldsman you cannot argue that, Ponting has been extremely successful and you cant argue that, What is left is things that cant be defined one way or another so these are the things people will argue like what he is thinking or how you dont like the way he appeals or some other stupid thing.

Ponting has taken the Australian team from what they were with McGrath, Warne and co and rebuilt them into todays effecient and developing team, which by the way is something you have to be a very good captain to do, just ask Peitersen what its like to bring about change within a team or any other of the myriad of failed captains like Tendulkar, Lara, Malik, Flintoff, and the list goes on.

As far as umpires and thier relationship with Ponting its all about perception, Ponting talks to the umpire and you think its abuse or intimidation but then again you dont know what was said but it is Ponting and like I said what are the only things you can argue about.
ok, first of all, I didn't mean everything I said in here and that post was more a retaliation to some of the nonsense sprouted by the other side.

Yes, England blatantly wasted time in the first test just like India did at Sydney back then... Ponting has every right to be annoyed by that.

But he took a step too far claiming that his side always plays to the spirit of the game.. The rules, yes, they don't generally break any hard and fast rules but this Aussie side has almost always stretched things beyond the spirit of the game... So he is the last person who should be commenting on that... Esp. when we have an example of such an incident from him in the same bloody game.

Son Of Coco

But he took a step too far claiming that his side always plays to the spirit of the game.. The rules, yes, they don't generally break any hard and fast rules but this Aussie side has almost always stretched things beyond the spirit of the game... So he is the last person who should be commenting on that... Esp. when we have an example of such an incident from him in the same bloody game.
I don't think he said 'always', he may well have just been talking about managing to do so for a 10 minute period.

I still don't think he 'charged' the umpire as a number of people on here are so dramatically putting it. I think he was unsure as to whether the umpire had turned down the LBW or the catch, hence him asking him again. He may have been a little forceful in his approach though.

A simple "Excuse me my good fellow, you do realise I was bellowing in such an excited manner due to my being under the impression that you were initially referring to the LBW appeal my good teammate, and outstanding gentleman I might add, Nathaniel Hauritz had proferred nigh on 3 seconds ago? Now I have your full attention I'd just like to make a brief enquiry as to the authenticity of the bold one-handed grab I made off Mr Collingwood. Is it, as I first believed, a dismissal of the highest order? Or shall I resume my position just on the edge of Mr Collingwood's pubic triangle and make another such attempt at a later occasion? Thank you for your time, and let me hasten to add myself and my team appreciate the time you take from your busy schedule to officiate in today's proceedings. Give my regards to your wife and children." would have sufficed I'd say.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm in the camp with Nasser. I understand why they did it, and probably would have instigated something similar. However, it smacked of amateurism, suddenly realising that they might get in extra overs and sending out the 12th man and physio twice in two overs. Just dumb; should have made sure that it never got to that situation, send them out earlier if you need to.

Ok first of all the mistake you have made is you have read the headlines and not what Ponting actually said, they happen to be two very different things and you are commenting on the headlines, you need to take that issue up with the editor not Ponting.

Secondly as Australian captain he has every right to comment on what happened during that game regardless of what happened in any other game or whatever anyone thinks about this team.

Thirdly Australia have played honest hard criket over the last 15 years and their behavoir is no different to any other team, Ponting does get more attention from supporters from other teams due to his brilliant batting, sad as it may be for these supporters they just need to let it go and admire his brilliance.

Fourthly can you post the quote from Pontings mouth where he said "that his side always plays to the spirit of the game" as I said he made comments and you have made up something that he never said and claimed he said it and then scolded him for saying it. See what I mean about how people get hysterical whenever Ponting sneezes.

ripper868

I don't think he said 'always', he may well have just been talking about managing to do so for a 10 minute period.

I still don't think he 'charged' the umpire as a number of people on here are so dramatically putting it. I think he was unsure as to whether the umpire had turned down the LBW or the catch, hence him asking him again. He may have been a little forceful in his approach though.

A simple "Excuse me my good fellow, you do realise I was bellowing in such an excited manner due to my being under the impression that you were initially referring to the LBW appeal my good teammate, and outstanding gentleman I might add, Nathaniel Hauritz had proferred nigh on 3 seconds ago? Now I have your full attention I'd just like to make a brief enquiry as to the authenticity of the bold one-handed grab I made off Mr Collingwood. Is it, as I first believed, a dismissal of the highest order? Or shall I resume my position just on the edge of Mr Collingwood's pubic triangle and make another such attempt at a later occasion? Thank you for your time, and let me hasten to add myself and my team appreciate the time you take from your busy schedule to officiate in today's proceedings. Give my regards to your wife and children." would have sufficed I'd say.
Massive Awta, and that my good friend is going in the sig.
EDIT: No it's not, it's too long :(

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Bahahahahahahaha........

Pube.

biased indian

My God, it really was a matter of time, wasn't it? That, if anything, supports Uppercut's point. Can't even see the point in bringing it up.
just go and have a look if you care he was given one test match suspension for charging the umpire& excessive appealing after claming a ctach he took from silly point ....it was the ditto situation as what ponting did...

i have no problem with ponting being let off....but dont say only people in india have problem with that a english man also found it offensive...and i am out of here and into second test thread see you there

Top_Cat

just go and have a look if you care he was given one test match suspension for charging the umpire& excessive appealing after claming a ctach he took from silly point ....it was the ditto situation as what ponting did...

i have no problem with ponting being let off....but dont say only people in india have problem with that a english man also found it offensive...and i am out of here and into second test thread see you there
haha, missed Uppercuts point entirely.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Yes, you are right.. He did indicate that he was appealing for the catch and not the lbw initially and Aleem once again shook his head vigorously to show that he was denying that appeal too. But he charged and went on and there was a lot of theatrics there, which is where I have a problem.

I dont mind excessive appealing actually... I believe everyone does it but my problem is that he is trying to claim the high ground by talking too much about the spirit of cricket. No one talks about it more than this Aussie team and I feel the reason is Ricky Ponting.

As a matter of fact, I do believe he is a reasonably honest person by himself but he seems to seriously believe that most of what his side does is always within the spirit of the game but in reality, it isn't... I have said this earlier... I do think he is the type of guy who might walk if the fielder says he did catch it but so many in his own team won't. So why does he keep invoking "spirit of cricket" when he is talking about his team? If he says that personally he tries to play within the spirit of cricket, it might be a bit more understandable (still hypocritical, but at least understandable) but the number of times he claims his side plays according to the spirit of the game is really trying, from an outsider's perspective... As an Aussie, obviously, you may feel differently and if it was from an Indian, I may feel differently too, but it is just tiring to see him keep talking about the spirit of the game and how much his side upholds it.

As a matter of fact, I do believe he is a reasonably honest person by himself but he seems to seriously believe that most of what his side does is always within the spirit of the game but in reality, it isn't... I have said this earlier... I do think he is the type of guy who might walk if the fielder says he did catch it but so many in his own team won't. So why does he keep invoking "spirit of cricket" when he is talking about his team? If he says that personally he tries to play within the spirit of cricket, it might be a bit more understandable (still hypocritical, but at least understandable) but the number of times he claims his side plays according to the spirit of the game is really trying, from an outsider's perspective... As an Aussie, obviously, you may feel differently and if it was from an Indian, I may feel differently too, but it is just tiring to see him keep talking about the spirit of the game and how much his side upholds it.
But as I have allready pointed out the claims you made about what Ponting said are false so there is absolutely no substance to your claims. You cant bag a player based on a complete fabrication.

Scaly piscine

But as I have allready pointed out the claims you made about what Ponting said are false so there is absolutely no substance to your claims. You cant bag a player based on a complete fabrication.
Err no, it's as clear as day if you stick to reality. It's laughable the number of people who think nothing happened or are busy playing down Ponting's behaviour as if nothing happened. The fact that he's captain makes it a lot worse, you can't treat umpires like that or you'll soon have the standards you get in football. A very dangerous precedent has been set by not punishing one of the most high profile players who behaved like an enraged chimp in one of the most high profile Test series.

Err no, it's as clear as day if you stick to reality. It's laughable the number of people who think nothing happened or are busy playing down Ponting's behaviour as if nothing happened. The fact that he's captain makes it a lot worse, you can't treat umpires like that or you'll soon have the standards you get in football. A very dangerous precedent has been set by not punishing one of the most high profile players who behaved like an enraged chimp in one of the most high profile Test series.
No its just huffing and puffing by small minds, Its a test match not a tea party.

If it was any other player it would be a non issue not even a second thought, but as you can see by the way you try to be even more outraged by calling Ponting "an enraged chimp" just shows how people react simply because it is Ponting.

But you missed the point of my post anyway which also shows how people are so willing to attack Ponting without even reading what is written first.