• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

zaremba

Still have to choose your best bowlers though. A fine example of this is Ashley Giles over Monty. Bowlers are there to bowl, of course it's nice if they can bat and benefit the team. If they're not bowling well however, then the batsmen aren't going to step in and do their bit with the ball (for the most part). You'd hope both would do their job and the others won't have to try to make up for it.
I understand what you're saying, but I fully understood the decision to pick Giles over Monty, given the fact that whoever played was only going to play a supporting role with the ball at the Gabba; and a 6-11 of Flintoff, Read (as many wanted), Hoggard, Harmison, Anderson and Monty would have been incredibly vulnerable.

pup11

Warne held his own at eight, but he wasn't "excellent" there. Much better #8s around in world cricket at the moment. England have one such player batting nine.,,
You might agrue that their have been better batsmen than Warne who have batted at #8, but Warne's effectiveness and approach to batting at that position was top notch and something that all tailenders should look to emulate.

Last edited:

pup11

I understand what you're saying, but I fully understood the decision to pick Giles over Monty, given the fact that whoever played was only going to play a supporting role with the ball at the Gabba; and a 6-11 of Flintoff, Read (as many wanted), Hoggard, Harmison, Anderson and Monty would have been incredibly vulnerable.
If England were so concerned about their lower order batting then they should have just a played an extra batsman who could have bowled a bit of spin (like Blackwell), but with the kind of form Panesar was in at that time it made no sense in picking Giles ahead of him.

pasag

RTDAS
Final words before the Test - I don't have a good feeling about the batting and think we could see a pretty bad collapse that sees us going 0-1 to Perth. Hope I'm wrong.

andyc

Even if we get trounced by an innings and 300 runs, as long as this is the last Test that Marcus North ever plays for Australia, I'll be stoked.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would indeed be harsh to drop someone after a 6-for, but doesn't change my opinion of who I think looks more dangerous out of Finn, Shahzad and Tremlett. Finn was alright, but the scorecard flatters him imo. Was very impressed with both of the others in the Aus A game.
I'm referring to his debut summer. Dropping a guy who had been the incumbent for the previous 8 Tests, and in those 8 Tests had taken 32 wickets @ 23 would have been incredibly harsh and hard to justify.

vcs

Well, Adelaide is probably likely to be a batsman-friendly wicket, and in recent years even Perth has seemingly gotten easier to bat on with time. Wouldn't be surprised to see the series 0-0 going into Melbourne. Though that is probably looking too far ahead in time.

zaremba

If England were so concerned about their lower order batting then they should have just a played an extra batsman who could have bowled a bit of spin (like Blackwell), but with the kind of form Panesar was in at that time it made no sense in picking Giles ahead of him.
Panesar wasn't in good form - as I recall he had done bugger all in the warm-up game(s). Although tbf Giles had played even less than him.

The problem with Monty is that he's a total and utter liability both in the field and with the bat. It's not just that that kind of player doesn't contribute in those areas, it's that he actively drags the whole team down. Giles is pretty much the opposite, puts in a good effort in the field and is gusty with the bat. And these things can be quite important somewhere like the Gabba where the whole team is going to come under enormous pressure from the crowd and opposition. Now, if Monty had genuinely been a key bowler, you might accept his faults (I'd have looked to play him at Sydney, for instance). But he wasn't. He had no form, and he wasn't going to do much beyond containment at the Gabba. And when it comes to containing, Giles was as good a bet as him.

Anyhow I'm wittering now, and I accept that I may well be talking crap (I usually do), but there it is.

Howe_zat

Panesar wasn't in good form - as I recall he had done bugger all in the warm-up game(s). Although tbf Giles had played even less than him.

The problem with Monty is that he's a total and utter liability both in the field and with the bat. It's not just that that kind of player doesn't contribute in those areas, it's that he actively drags the whole team down. Giles is pretty much the opposite, puts in a good effort in the field and is gusty with the bat. And these things can be quite important somewhere like the Gabba where the whole team is going to come under enormous pressure from the crowd and opposition. Now, if Monty had genuinely been a key bowler, you might accept his faults (I'd have looked to play him at Sydney, for instance). But he wasn't. He had no form, and he wasn't going to do much beyond containment at the Gabba. And when it comes to containing, Giles was as good a bet as him.

Anyhow I'm wittering now, and I accept that I may well be talking crap (I usually do), but there it is.
Not any more :happy:

Pothas

Well, Adelaide is probably likely to be a batsman-friendly wicket, and in recent years even Perth has seemingly gotten easier to bat on with time. Wouldn't be surprised to see the series 0-0 going into Melbourne. Though that is probably looking too far ahead in time.
Yeah would not be so presumptuous. Record partnerships and 517/1 have probably created a rather false impression of the gap between bat and ball in this series. Neither bowling attack is woeful by any means, and both batting line-ups have significant weaknesses (both are certainly not immune from ****ty performances.) Adelaide is obviously going to be a good track but would certainly not be surprised to see a result.

zaremba

Yeah would not be so presumptuous. Record partnerships and 517/1 have probably created a rather false impression of the gap between bat and ball in this series. Neither bowling attack is woeful by any means, and both batting line-ups have significant weaknesses (both are certainly not immune from ****ty performances.) Adelaide is obviously going to be a good track but would certainly not be surprised to see a result.
Would AWTA wholeheartedly.

robelinda

I'm assuming ch 9 isnt showing this test in HD again? Which means we miss out on potentially an hours play here in Melbourne on tv, BLOODY GREAT CH 9.