• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
no doubt he's bowled poorly for most of the home summer and his method goes against conventional wisdom (that being only moderately accurate 135kph banged in stuff gets smashed) but he didn't fluke those wickets he's got. he produces wicket balls and has for a while now. he'd waltz into an embarrassing number of odi sides. that's an advantage of both sides bench strength - they've got two top four bowling attacks each.
Clint McKay's figures were just as good, doesn't make him world class.

Antihippy

so many good match ups in this. warner v baz, the puppy v kane, ross v m clock, batswell v candy cannon, the main three quicks on each side v each other...

head says australia by 1 wicket or less than 20 runs. heart says nz by 10 wickets.
Haha, no way warner deserves a match up with Baz. He's been frankly piss this world cup.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clint McKay's figures were just as good, doesn't make him world class.
yep. james tredwell for ages another good example.

could make a whole list of "mediocre to okay odi bowlers with amazing figures" (james faulkner?)

Last edited:

hendrix

McCleneghan is rubbish I'm afraid to say.

Henry, however, is good. Pretty much a Hazlewood clone.

CricAddict

Ok lets do the matchups.

Mccullum>Warner 1-0
Guptill=Finch 1-0
TPC=TPC 1-0
Taylor<Clarke 1-1
Elliott<Maxwell 1-2
Corey>Watson 2-2
Ronchi=Haddin
Vettori=Faulkner
Henry=Haze
Southee=Johnson
Boult=Starc 2-2

Nothing to differentiate between these two teams. Deserving finalists.

Dundalis

The rubbish form of Australia's openers really gives NZ an advantage IMO. Australia have not really played to the potential their batting lineup promises because our openers are struggling so much. So often have been 1-2 wickets down early. The issue is obviously exacerbated when facing better bowling.

Finch needs to piss off after this World Cup. There's got to be an opener with better technique who can score at a decent rate playing domestic cricket.

Antihippy

The rubbish form of Australia's openers really gives NZ an advantage IMO. Australia have not really played to the potential their batting lineup promises because our openers are struggling so much. So often have been 1-2 wickets down early. The issue is obviously exacerbated when facing better bowling.

Finch needs to piss off after this World Cup. There's got to be an opener with better technique who can score at a decent rate playing domestic cricket.
**** no. If we're going to ask someone to piss off due to poor performance it's warner.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
McCleneghan is rubbish I'm afraid to say.

Henry, however, is good. Pretty much a Hazlewood clone.
I like Henry. Every time I haven't seen him for a while, action reminds me of Bond without the skip.

Don't really think that Hazelwood is the comparison that I'd use. Hazelwood makes more use of his (admittedly extra) height, and has a nice easy natural away swinger. Henry has more tricks, being able to move the ball both ways.

Burgey

I was really impressed with maxwell's bowling tonight. Challenged both edges and was hard to get away. He's becoming pretty handy as an ODI bowler

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Vettori comfortably better than Faulkner surely.
Yup. Going to be a big advantage Vettori, hard to bomb straight down the ground, shortest boundaries at the 'G.

Warner huge in that respect, as lefties (especially in the last year or so since his comeback) finding it a lot easier to hit boundaries off him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I was really impressed with maxwell's bowling tonight. Challenged both edges and was hard to get away. He's becoming pretty handy as an ODI bowler
Had really good revs tonight, I like him when he bowls cross seam - seems to get some good rip. Goes through stages; bowled pump against us in December, spent half his time trying to bowl a "floater" he flicked out of his fingers.