• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

grecian

McGrath said in his masterclass he wasn't thinking about taking a wicket every over let alone every ball. Just keep it in the right areas, Warne is just a hyperactive child.
Clark and Harris weren't dissimilar either really. TBF Hazelwood could do the job as well.

Lillian Thomson

Well, if you want someone commentating on an imaginary game, i suppose...

Because the events that Blowers describes often bear little relation to what actually happens in reality. It's actually sometimes quite amusing listening to him on TMS whilst actually sitting in the crowd at a test match, because it's obviously not what his commentary is designed for.
Listening to commentary while at the ground is the ultimate stupidity. Being there is the only way to avoid commentary and still have sound.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Australia should play as if it's their 1st innings because they can easily overhaul this target. There are no gremlins and it's actually getting easier as more overs are played on it.
This seems slightly at odds with your thread about the toss.

Howe_zat

Stokes worrying me a bit with his bowling, but yeah they seem to have got the balance right.

In the end if we were talking about limited bowling careers there would probably be a few, Dean Headley obviously. I did notice that Howezat for some reason put the qualifying matches at 7 in his graphic, must be a coincidence that that's how many games Bresnan has played.:D Headley played 6. Jones 5.
how dare you besmirch my undeniable facts

Lillian Thomson

Looking around the net I love the way Australian fans are for ditching almost half the team after one below par performance. It's almost as if their English heritage is coming to the fore.

Son Of Coco

Looking around the net I love the way Australian fans are for ditching almost half the team after one below par performance. It's almost as if their English heritage is coming to the fore.
Going with experience for the 1st Test has put them in an interesting position. Most of the experienced players who you'd say might have been lucky to be there failed, but I'd expect them to be selected for the 2nd Test too. If they really have played several matches too many, and should have been put out to pasture a while ago, then we could be 2-0 down before any serious thought is given to what tweaks can be made to the line-up to make it better.

Hopefully we get a different result to the last test if they persist with the older heads. But I can't see someone like Watto, for example, being successful when everyone knows what his main weakness is, including him. That video of his LBW reviews is so telling, his last 2 dismissals are almost identical to the way he was getting out several years ago. Might as well give MMarsh a go, and let England work out some different weaknesses for a change.

TheJediBrah

dumb post.

People have been saying Watson and Haddin should have been dropped well before this game. Of course another poor performance from them will lead to reiteration of the fact.

Son Of Coco

If it rains tomorrow, Boof should make Haddin, Watson, Voges, and Clarke stand out in it for the whole day. They can come in for the scheduled lunch and tea breaks.

"That's the way we play" is the clarion call for those who are too stupid to get paid to play cricket. Evidently, that's what a number of our batsmen were thinking given their approach (and that's not discounting the superb English bowling effort, they were fantastic).

Last edited:

social

Of all the things to be pissed off about this loss (and there were plenty as an Oz supporter), one that hasn't been spoken about is Clarke's continued refusal to put a 3rd man in

It's almost as if Bell didn't score 30% of his runs down there last time out

Just another example of how we fail to adapt whenever we play in conditions not to our liking

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Not half the team for mine, but time for Nevill and MMarsh in place of Haddin and Watson.

Now's not the time for the Aust selectors to be sentimental. Make the hard call and reward form *

* inb4 anyone questions Nevill's keeping form. Whoever keeps to Starc and Johnson is gonna concede a few boundary byes.

grecian

Of all the things to be pissed off about this loss (and there were plenty as an Oz supporter), one that hasn't been spoken about is Clarke's continued refusal to put a 3rd man in

It's almost as if Bell didn't score 30% of his runs down there last time out

Just another example of how we fail to adapt whenever we play in conditions not to our liking
Well I'm not pissed off about it, but I'm constantly going on about commentators insisting it's a defensive position and it's negative to use it, in the end if people are constantly flicking it in the air outside off-stump , as they do in the modern game, it's not just a defensive position it's a wicket-taking one too.