• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

social

Well I'm not pissed off about it, but I'm constantly going on about commentators insisting it's a defensive position and it's negative to use it, in the end if people are constantly flicking it in the air outside off-stump , as they do in the modern game, it's not just a defensive position it's a wicket-taking one too.
Fact is that they aren't playing at the WACA and many balls don't carry so you end up simply allowing players to collect boundaries almost at will from defensive pushes

TheJediBrah

In England it means good natured micky taking. Still never mind. As I am in England it's bed time. Enjoy the rest of your day wallowing in bitterness. :wine:
your last few posts have been bafflingly stupid

no one's wallowing in bitterness, though it seems you want them to be doing it so badly that you're convincing yourself they are

SteveNZ

Of all the things to be pissed off about this loss (and there were plenty as an Oz supporter), one that hasn't been spoken about is Clarke's continued refusal to put a 3rd man in

It's almost as if Bell didn't score 30% of his runs down there last time out

Just another example of how we fail to adapt whenever we play in conditions not to our liking
The use of third man is one of the poorly-handled strategies at any level of cricket, but certainly in Tests.

Cook showed it at Lord's the other way, with a third man while we were chasing millions and they could afford to be overtly attacking. And I didn't see last night, but captains can often see runs being leaked down there and have an almost arrogance of 'I'm not going to be seen to be locking the gate after the horse has bolted'.

Tangles

Not half the team for mine, but time for Nevill and MMarsh in place of Haddin and Watson.

Now's not the time for the Aust selectors to be sentimental. Make the hard call and reward form *

* inb4 anyone questions Nevill's keeping form. Whoever keeps to Starc and Johnson is gonna concede a few boundary byes.
With you on Haddin. Wish we had a better option than MM but we don't and if Watsons bowling so few overs he loses any possible edge in that department. I also think Voges needs to give the selectors something at Lords. I don't think he'll get many chances before they bring Darsh in.

grecian

The use of third man is one of the poorly-handled strategies at any level of cricket, but certainly in Tests.

Cook showed it at Lord's the other way, with a third man while we were chasing millions and they could afford to be overtly attacking. And I didn't see last night, but captains can often see runs being leaked down there and have an almost arrogance of 'I'm not going to be seen to be locking the gate after the horse has bolted'.
Was that the match the final wicket went to a catch at third man?

SteveNZ

Was that the match the final wicket went to a catch at third man?
Boult did that yeah, but a lot earlier England were pitching it up and swinging it, with a negligible gap between 3rd and gully that was plugged by a third man. It was horribly timid captaincy, and Botham et al were saying so (plus of course Warne)

grecian

Boult did that yeah, but a lot earlier England were pitching it up and swinging it, with a negligible gap between 3rd and gully that was plugged by a third man. It was horribly timid captaincy, and Botham et al were saying so (plus of course Warne)
Oh well if botham and warne were saying it fair enough.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That's exactly what Clarke did in 2013-4 and exactly how he needs to captain again.
Clarke couldn't set a field to a lot of that bowling, to be fair.

I wonder whether Starc ended up bowling first change in the second innings due to his injury, or as a message about how he actually bowled in the first innings.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
re: third man. Have a look at the boundaries scored off Haze during the first innings. He needs a 3rd man for sure. Starc maybe not so much as he tends to need fielders protecting more areas of the ground which is probably a nicer way to say that he bowls all over the shop.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Good thing about a Watson dropping is that the idiot public might now notice how **** everyone else is playing, Haddin and Johnson especially.

(This post was extremely hard for me to type)

Howe_zat

It's not possible to be that dense, I never thought Cricket Web would be reduced to this.
You're helping in a big way, so congrats for that.

He's completely right in this case. You were wrong about the idea that dropping Watson and Haddin is a kneejerk reaction - people wanted them dropped before the test. Anyone who's been reading the forum would know that. When he called you out you decided to **** fight instead of admit it, because you're just too damn superior yet again.

Now you've decide it's the entire forum's fault that you're wrong and can't admit it for what seems like the hundredth time, maybe you should act on that opinion and **** off for a bit. You won't be missed.

Hurricane

However, Siddle was clearly being primed for a second Test inclusion, having been the outstanding bowler in the nets ahead of this match
A lot seems to get read into form in the nets.

FaaipDeOiad

Good thing about a Watson dropping is that the idiot public might now notice how **** everyone else is playing, Haddin and Johnson especially.

(This post was extremely hard for me to type)
Yeah I totally agree. It's so funny reading Australian fans on other forums going off about how this is what happens when you pick **** players like Watson. Watson didn't have a good game but he's far from the first person I'd point the finger at, at least he didn't throw his wicket away, drop catches or bowl both sides of the wicket. I'm fine with dropping him but there are a host of other issues the team needs to address.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watson not making the most of his form with hundreds around the 2010/11 Ashes really has hurt his overall record massively.

Ended up only really averaging 50 around that period; others have that purple patch and average 90 or so over the calendar year.