• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Feminism thread

Ikki

I'm a biologist.

I know those halfwit endocrinologists like to vomit up papers in criminology journals because they want some references when they're applying to be a partner at the latest practise to give 3 year-olds ritalin, but the way biology works is that you prove something by actually observing it happening and providing a mechanism with a testable hypothesis.

Strange I know.
Ok, but I don't see how have you refuted the question that biology may have an impact on our social interactions or determinations of each other?

Also in terms of genetics; I've heard certain interactions (especially traumatic) can change your DNA and it can be passed on. Is this true?

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
back on topic, i've never really understood how some people can have the warped views on gender equality that they do. don't they have mums, sisters, girlfriends and friends?

it's a bit sad too when women say "im not feminist but *feminist opinion*"

it's still a cultural swearword.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

I think what this often boils down to is the fact that, like it or not, labels matter to people (hence why so many people campaign in favour of gay "marriage" rather than "civil partnerships" etc...).

To this end, I wonder of feminism, by virtue of the fact it is called FEMinism, is often it's own worst enemy (as such a title inevitably invites the "bunch of man haters" type arguments). I suspect it wouldn't get half as many negative reactions etc... if it was called "equalitism" or something.

Ikki

back on topic, i've never really understood how some people can have the warped views on gender equality that they do. don't they have mums, sisters, girlfriends and friends?

Why is it sad at all? I'm a male, and while I'm not a masculinist I probably agree some of their views.

IMO, if you truly care about equality then you don't just identify as a feminist or a masculinst...you identify yourself as a human being.

Teja.

Global Moderator
IIRC Ikki is non-white.

Why are you benchying anyway? I know it's really standard to do it in feminism/racism discussions, but it's still a dick move IMO.
Well, this is one of the more stupider posts I've read.

I am part of a minority and have lived in several countries where I'm sure there are institutional barriers to me getting to a position of real power. I highly doubt I'm about to become Prime Minister of Australia or any brown muslim will any time soon, yet we have had a female Prime Minister. I'm not comparing brown people vs females here; just responding to the notion that I'm not aware of liabilities of being part of a certain subset of people. I'm actually addressing the very core of this problem; that people continually see others in terms of groups and not individuals and because of this we'll go in circles; whether clock-wise or otherwise.

If you can't see that, then mind the forrest.
I think both of you missed my point due to my posting of a smartarse remark instead of actually arguing out my point regarding why it's problematic to be dismissive of group-rights in juxtaposition to individual rights in a thorough fashion. My post had everything to do with, in my opinion, the well-meaning insular naivety of Ikki's post and nothing to do with who was posting it. The second sentence was in specific reference to privilege leading to treating a lop-sided world as a post-feminist one with race and caste used as examples of other occasions it happens as opposed to me saying Ikki has no experience of any prejusidce in my life. I apologize if I unintentionally appeared to be having a race whinge because that was not the case at all. I think it's only fair I explain my position now.

I think it's problematic to be dismissive from groups-rights causes because first, ideologically, there is a certain solidarity that builds up between the sufferers of discrimination, whether you like it or not. It is their cause and not something which people who don't face the same cannot empathize with, even though they can sympathize with it. For them, people from their groups doing well is a matter of great pride and makes them believe they can do it. By making it in fall under the broad umbrella of individual rights, you're not allowing them to celebrate their own ways of expression, distinctive cultures etc. which society convinces them are under cultures. People who have plenty don't necessarily need a group identity because they can afford to shed it after generations of privilige putting them in a position to. People from disadvantaged positions can't because their group identity is often all they have. For example, a lot of Brahmins in India, and I am partly one, don't need to hold on to their caste tag because they're parents/grandparents were part of the upper middle class+ and they're educated and assimilated into the modern world. It's ironic that caste has become invisible to them almost solely because it afforded them privileges not provided to some other communities. However, for the scheduled castes, their caste through government categorizations, societal discrimination, mockery of the way they speak often as first gen college grads and their cultures being different and considered inferior from the more affluent cultures - their identity and common suffering is all they have and the pride that they take in it is in a "we're as good as anyone else" sense and I think it's really dire to say from an enlightened position that such groups-rights issues are problematic.

Further, by becoming group blind, you're actually unconsciously pushing the dominant culture at the expense of the oppressed cultures because people in positions of power in society from the dominant culture even if they strongly believe in individual rights are shaped by their upbringing which involves an internalization of cultural norms from childhood which they consider 'normal', when they recognize this dialect, behaviour etc. in other people who inevitably are from the dominant culture, they are more likely to provide them with professional opportunities, social contacts etc. because they're seeing behaviour which they in a perfectly well meaning way consider 'normal'. For example, the black accent/dialect/sentence construction is considered less 'intellectual' than the English settler's. For this reason, it's not merely enough to be dedicated to individual rights but you also have to recognize and respect diversity and the various issues groups face because the world we live is not equal and treating it as an equal one would be not for the benefit but rather at the expense of the oppressed because discrimination is very rarely in-your-face and to recognize sub-concious/institutional discrimination, it is imperative to recognize the struggles of groups.

Thirdly, from a pragmatic perspective, placing everything under the broad umbrella of individual rights creates a false change of priorities from addressing very specific ground solutions for issues faced by groups to trying to do a post-racial/feminist enlightenment program of individual rights. Ideally, both should happen but we don't need a shift of the debate from say addressing the police-black people situation in the last couple of years in the USA by creation of racial awareness in specific among the police. You need to address the racism directly and in specific, you can't treat it in the general umbrella of individual rights because it's obviously a groups-rights issue from perpetrator to oppressed. Similar with say, misogyny in the armed forces. What I'm saying is once you narrow it down to specfiic groups rights issues, there are immediate steps you can take in order to create a better situation. The respect to individual rights and the step forward to an equal society should always be there but it has to work in conjunction with groups-rights and not in ignorance of it due to the acknowledgement of inequalities in the world.

Last edited:

hendrix

Ok, but I don't see how have you refuted the question that biology may have an impact on our social interactions or determinations of each other?

Also in terms of genetics; I've heard certain interactions (especially traumatic) can change your DNA and it can be passed on. Is this true?
No.

Well, pretty much no.

What you've heard about is imprinting, which is a sort-of inherited epigenetic modification. Note that it's the expression of the gene, not the gene itself that's altered. In mammals it's mainly about silencing genes; imprinting is the reason why men can carry an X chromosome without necessarily expressing female-specific genes, for example.

Note that the imprinting is wiped and then imprinted during growth of germ cells, so it's not generally thought of as something that's inherited for more than a generation.

Epigenetic modifications within a generation are of course widely documented. A child born during times of famine will be more pre-disposed to putting on weight easily, for example, due to modifications in their satiety and metabolism designed to ensure they don't starve to death.

hendrix

Why is it sad at all? I'm a male, and while I'm not a masculinist I probably agree some of their views.

IMO, if you truly care about equality then you don't just identify as a feminist or a masculinst...you identify yourself as a human being.
feminist = someone who believes in equality between the sexes.

If you're not a feminist, by definition you do not believe in equality.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Urgh. Pull your head in.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think what this often boils down to is the fact that, like it or not, labels matter to people (hence why so many people campaign in favour of gay "marriage" rather than "civil partnerships" etc...).

To this end, I wonder of feminism, by virtue of the fact it is called FEMinism, is often it's own worst enemy (as such a title inevitably invites the "bunch of man haters" type arguments). I suspect it wouldn't get half as many negative reactions etc... if it was called "equalitism" or something.
But Sledger. But Sledger. Thats... sorta the whole point right? The age when it stops getting negative reactions for being called "fem" anything, is probably around the time it'll be something for the history books.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
But Sledger. But Sledger. Thats... sorta the whole point right? The age when it stops getting negative reactions for being called "fem" anything, is probably around the time it'll be something for the history books.
Yeah, I guess so. But this kind of touches on my point I made several pages ago about how some terms, concepts and initiatives have the inherent potential to exacerbate differences between certain groups of people, rather than play them down.

Flem274*

123/5

Going to have to agree with Athlai here, but I will add that "feminist" becoming a cultural swearword is probably part of the cause for everyone jumping to the extreme and ironically, making it more of a swearword.

cbf hunting through FB for the quote but basically a friend thinks it's ok for oppressed groups to say things like "all men are awful" because they're oppressed "and if you take it personally you're getting anry at the wrong people".

i tried to point out that ideological absolutism might feel good but you're going to lose the war, and using the same tactics as the oppressor just creates enemies.

actualy i have gone and found it and found a better quote from one of the commenters.

There's clearly not a big problem with generalising oppressive groups that have privilege. It doesn't perpetuate any harm because if they have authority and institutionalised power on their side, then it really doesn't do much. Calling all cops racist and saying that all P.E. teachers are probably sex offenders isn't doing anything bad that way because groups in the position of power are invulnerable to systematic oppression because they are the system.
Leaving aside the double standard an obvious idealism here, if we're going to help get rid of rape culture etc this isn't how to win. you don't beat the system like this. it's a bit like how the moderators here are an oppressive culture of evil and i say all moderators are ****s and get banned. But then instead if I say "some moderators like that Prince EWS and especially Dan are doing bad things" and explain why I might get my way.

you want the cops and the teachers on your side. you don't do that by saying all of them are ****s by default.

so i guess this sort of stuff is how feminism doesn't help itself but i also feel like this post is shifting too much blame onto the movement itself. the other, major reason feminism is a cultural swearword is because we have people like ikki and 90% of cricsim who like to go on about dem sluts and alphas/betas and gold digging hoes and the like.

we have a sexual cultural narrative where many men compete for a few angels and more but not many whores, women who don't meet expected beauty standards are invisible and if someone gets raped in a setting other than a back alley she wanted it and if it was in a back alley she probably deserved it. that narrative breeds the above anger i've quoted from facebook and everyone gets driven further apart, which is exactly what the ****s want.

i wrote this at speed so it's probably incoherent but whatevs

Last edited:

Ikki

I think while you say all of that with admirable intentions; it's still not even close to justifying a necessity for the rights of a certain group amongst groups. History is riddled with groups of varying power coming to prominence and abusing that power.

The point about solidarity is a good one, and is precisely why I talk of an individual rights based movement rather than a group-centric one. When you are establishing individual rights based on nothing more than being a human being; you already have that solidarity because everyone sees themselves as an individual. It's easy to identify with. In calculating their position even those with the worst intentions have to safeguard their own rights by protecting the rights of their neighbour as an individual. Ironically, the easiest way to marginalise another individual is to paint them as part of an inferior group.

Much like freedom of speech rights. One may have utter distaste for the speech of another individual - a Nazi/fascist propagandist for example - but will defend that person's right to espouse those views because they know well that the popularity of the view should be secondary and they may too come to a point when they hold an unpopular view, and will want the right to espouse it similarly or at least not face an angry mob with official badges trying to shut them up.

And to your further point: if you're living in an individual-centric society; how can you push the dominant culture? In fact, you immediately level every subset into the same line of rights. At least legally. Socially; people will believe what they want to believe regardless of whether you make it law or not. That's simply going to take time. And I'd argue the above point that it's easier to assimilate all different kinds of people quickly (as opposed to recruiting people of the same 'type' quickly) and that will engender a faster process towards equality.

Touching on your second highlighted point: what is there left to protest for when you basically say "every individual will have the same rights". I actually see the group-centric think a bit primitive and slow. Instead of an argument for women to have property and then decades later for black people to have property, etc, spaced throughout time with people dying or continually suffering; you cut to the chase by saying "every individual has the right to own property". If you pay the price of purchase/transfer for the property, it's your property. It doesn't matter if 90% of the nation doesn't like it; legally it is yours.

I think you've also misunderstood my position if you think I'm being ignorant of group rights. I probably agree with a lot of the gripes feminists may have but it is not because I consider myself part of their view. It is because I view them as individuals much like I see myself. It makes it easier to identify with them. I think naming a movement for equality amongst everyone in the world after a subset of it is somewhat disingenuous. There are certainly good things about it in making it clearly identifiable and easy to follow; but that can also be abused for the bad.

I also think there is underlying generalisation that is distasteful. As if all men hold power; or all women are powerless, or that a lot of things are simple and straightforward, etc. There is definitely a gradation. I find the easiest way to dehumanise someone is just to make them part of a group and hammer them. Rather we should get to know them as individuals and find out everyone is flawed and feel safe in that humanity. My own take is that this is why there are so many long-standing dichotomies or oppositions which never get solved. How do you ever get to the end where feminism doesn't need to exist anymore and we can transition to seeing each other as individuals? The moment you call for an end to it; people will recoil; for good and bad reasons - possibly because things aren't fixed, or because now they're inherently too much in their favour to want it to go back the other way.

The older I get, the less I want to identify myself as where I'm born, or culturally from, or where I hold a passport, etc. That doesn't mean we all become one and not enjoy each other's differences - I think there is great beauty in that - but that we acknowledge that our differences don't make us better or not better than each there and there is no competing factor. We're different because we're different, and that's enough.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I don't really disagree with any of that.

My point was just that "feminism" as a word has inevitable female connotations, and that will inevitably, be it though ignorance or malice, be used as a stick to beat it with.

I tend to find questions like "are you pro gay/women/ethnic minorities?" somewhat grating, because I don't necessarily consider myself to be pro any particular group of people. I am, however, staunchly opposed to treating people differently on the basis of some aspect of their identity which is beyond the bounds of their control.

Edit: @ Flem.

Ikki

feminist = someone who believes in equality between the sexes.

If you're not a feminist, by definition you do not believe in equality.
No, I don't see it that way.

I am basically a Libertarian and I advocate for the equal rights of all individuals. I don't do it from a group-centric or female-centric viewpoint. I don't think that nuance is too fine to miss.

so i guess this sort of stuff is how feminism doesn't help itself but i also feel like this post is shifting too much blame onto the movement itself. the other, major reason feminism is a cultural swearword is because we have people like ikki and 90% of cricsim who like to go on about dem sluts and alphas/betas and gold digging hoes and the like.

we have a sexual cultural narrative where many men compete for a few angels and more but not many whores, women who don't meet expected beauty standards are invisible and if someone gets raped in a setting other than a back alley she wanted it and if it was in a back alley she probably deserved it. that narrative breeds the above anger i've quoted from facebook and everyone gets driven further apart, which is exactly what the ****s want.
You actually need to get a life, you have issues.

Last edited:

Ikki

No.

Well, pretty much no.

What you've heard about is imprinting, which is a sort-of inherited epigenetic modification. Note that it's the expression of the gene, not the gene itself that's altered. In mammals it's mainly about silencing genes; imprinting is the reason why men can carry an X chromosome without necessarily expressing female-specific genes, for example.

Note that the imprinting is wiped and then imprinted during growth of germ cells, so it's not generally thought of as something that's inherited for more than a generation.

Epigenetic modifications within a generation are of course widely documented. A child born during times of famine will be more pre-disposed to putting on weight easily, for example, due to modifications in their satiety and metabolism designed to ensure they don't starve to death.
I see, so are you saying that the science on this is settled? That our biology in terms of gender has no impact on our to-and-fro with society? Again, not my field; but I've never even heard it stated like this. Always seems to be an ongoing discussion and how much each factor may play a part.

Dan

Global Moderator
That our biology in terms of gender has no impact on our to-and-fro with society?
You're asking the wrong question.

Does biology impact our social relations? Yes, because we've constructed gender in such a way to do so.
Does biology inherently define our social relations? No, apart from the obvious 'women give birth' difference.