• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v West Indies (3rd April)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TNT

Banned
Haha, what a desperate pathetic trolling attempt at this moment. A disgrace.
A world cup is a world cup, just like the champions trophy is not a world cup the world T20 is not a world cup. Its not rocket science.

Kirkut

Yorkers wide of off stump would have not helped Stokes either. Brathwaite would have lofted them over deep cover/point for sixes as well, it was simply unreal hitting.

hendrix

I didn't watch any of it so no idea about the pitch, but if you're defending 19 off one over, slow bouncers may be a better percentage ball. Unless it's a good batting track.

zorax

likes this
Really any variation might have helped, as well as keeping the ball out of Carlos' swinging arc. Stokes definitely crumbled undern pressure after those first two sixes, and tbf you'd be hard pressed to find a bowler who wouldn't have.

Zinzan

*** me, having double-checked the scorecard to see Braithwaite's bowling figures were in fact 3-23 off 4 overs (including the wickets of Buttler, Root & Willey), it's hard to see how Samuels pipped him for MOTM award, as fine as his 85 was.

Top_Cat

Was a top game the WI deserved to win. For all their faults as individuals, this WI team were the better side. Badri's spell with the new ball was sensational. Root was the only English player who looked up to the occasion and I did agree with Morgan that their score was, at best, competitive.

On the last over, Stokes didn't do heaps wrong other than put the ball in the same spot for four balls. Thats why I was absolutely stunned when Morgan asked him to bowl the last over at all. Yeah you want your big players in the big moments but if there was one guy who you'd back yourself to come on to the bat nicely for some last-over hitting and, y'know, put the ball in predictable areas, Stokes was the guy you wanted to see at the top of his mark. Huge mistake by Morgan.

Last edited:

Stefan9

People who claim South Africa choke every time they lose are ****s who don't actually follow South African cricket enough to know their strengths, weaknesses and what they are capable of. I understand that it is frustrating for a fan to have to deal with ignorant comments like that. But now you're stooping to their level. This is uncalled for.

Waqar Younis, the best bowler of yorkers? I have seen Waqar Younis bowl low full tosses or half volleys when trying to bowl yorkers.

Ok some people here might not remember who he is.

Mitchell Starc? Best bowler of yorkers today? I have seen him bowl these low full tosses or half volleys at times.

Every time a cricketer makes a mistake does not make it a choke. It's just that - a mistake.
a Mistake would be getting one of the 4 deliveries wrong. stokes got all 4 wrong.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On the last over, Stokes didn't do heaps wrong other than put the ball in the same spot for four balls. Thats why I was absolutely stunned when Morgan asked him to bowl the last over at all. Yeah you want your big players in the big moments but if there was one guy who you'd back yourself to come on to the bat nicely for some last-over hitting and, y'know, put the ball in predictable areas, Stokes was the guy you wanted to see at the top of his mark. Huge mistake by Morgan.
Hard though when he actually won them a game vs. Lanka before. Funnily enough, that probably gave Morgan a false sense of security.

Top_Cat

And, in fairness, with 19 to win, probably fair enough.

Really can't be understated how well WI played to win. In the field they were sensational when on top, smart about it when Root and Buttler came back at them then kept the rest in check. WIth the bat, they absorbed the early pressure after a few risks didn't come off and stayed in touch even in the midst of a top spell from Plunkett then surged at the end. This is why Samuels got the player of the match. Brathwaite was amazing but he was given the platform to be so by Samuels. Bravo was great too, crucial contributions with bat and ball.

vcs

And, in fairness, with 19 to win, probably fair enough.

Really can't be understated how well WI played to win. In the field they were sensational when on top, smart about it when Root and Buttler came back at them then kept the rest in check. WIth the bat, they absorbed the early pressure after a few risks didn't come off and stayed in touch even in the midst of a top spell from Plunkett then surged at the end. This is why Samuels got the player of the match. Brathwaite was amazing but he was given the platform to be so by Samuels. Bravo was great too, crucial contributions with bat and ball.
They were really good and deserved champions for coming out of tough situations in both the semis and the finals.

Having said that, there seems to be a hindsight driven narrative after India's loss in the semis about how their "low-risk" brand of cricket was shown up by WI's fearless approach. Both the semifinal and the final were decided by extremely small margins and it's stupid to construct narratives out of it IMO. India don't have big hitters like WI or great batting depth like England, so they have to be cautious up top and look for ways to accumulate runs without going for broke. They played to their strengths, can't fault them for that.

Top_Cat

Yeah agree with that, particularly considering the way Root batted. Looked a million bucks with barely a lofted shot. There's a place for that style of play, India just had a couple of guys in key positions (Raina and Yuvraj) who weren't quite there this tournament.

Last edited: