• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

Daemon

Its the inconsistency that is so annoying

After dropping Neville and bringing in Wade, Wade does worse than Neville for the next couple of tests but is retained.

Where is the consistency ?

Ferguson gets one test and is out. Maddinson gets three tests.

Annoying !
Cartwright gone after 2 innings as well, maybe because of how hopeless he looked in the odis in which he should have never been selected in the first place.

Spikey

I don't buy this 'Nev' black listing bs. If he'd scored runs he'd be in the test team. But he didn't. Just like he always doesn't. If he'd scored runs he'd have steered NSW into the SS final in 2016-17. But he didn't (score enough). Just like he always doesn't. He's destined for a life of mediocrity. Let us move on.
well this is bizarre

Gob

I don't buy this 'Nev' black listing bs. If he'd scored runs he'd be in the test team. But he didn't. Just like he always doesn't. If he'd scored runs he'd have steered NSW into the SS final in 2016-17. But he didn't (score enough). Just like he always doesn't. He's destined for a life of mediocrity. Let us move on.
Stupid posting

adub

You do know that Nev banged three tons in the Shield after being dropped (Cowan the only other to score three) and finished the season with 625 runs @ 57?

S.Kennedy

From an Aus pov are any of you concerned at the weight of expectation on Cummins?

I don't disagree with Brah's point here and I think Cummins is an exceptional talent and you all have every right to be very excited about him. But you're holding him up alongside some big names there and he's played 5 tests in 6 years and none in Australia. He's really being thrown in the deep end here I think with his first home test in an Ashes series........it is going to be a massive test on his character.
Injuries.

I'd be amazed if this triumvirate of Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood lasts more than three tests. I think it is fair to say we'll see Jackson Bird, Chard Sayers and the ilk at some stage during the series.

Loose Cannon

You do know that Nev banged three tons in the Shield after being dropped (Cowan the only other to score three) and finished the season with 625 runs @ 57?
Yeah, but if he didn't leap in the air and kiss his badge after scoring those hundreds, did he really score them? Needs to up his presence in the field imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Injuries.

I'd be amazed if this triumvirate of Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood lasts more than three tests. I think it is fair to say we'll see Jackson Bird, Chard Sayers and the ilk at some stage during the series.
Yeah I don't think Cummins would actually be picked for all five even if he was actually fit for all five; they wouldn't take that risk. The press conference certainly seemed to indicate that Sayers would be playing in Adelaide, so if no-one's injured then someone's going to be rested there at the very least.

Adders

Sounds a lot like a rotation policy to me.....and we know how popular that is.

If Cummins takes a bag full in Brisbane and they rest him for Adelaide and lose........shits gonna be hitting fans everywhere.

stephen

Yeah you don't bloody rest bowlers in the most important bloody series in the bloody calendar. Play Cummins until he breaks down.

Adders

Aus do have a problem though with the make of their side and 2 of their weapons being so injury prone.........it's going to take some management I think.

Gob

Yeah I don't think Cummins would actually be picked for all five even if he was actually fit for all five; they wouldn't take that risk. The press conference certainly seemed to indicate that Sayers would be playing in Adelaide, so if no-one's injured then someone's going to be rested there at the very least.
Sounds a lot like a rotation policy to me.....and we know how popular that is.

If Cummins takes a bag full in Brisbane and they rest him for Adelaide and lose........shits gonna be hitting fans everywhere.
Well you can always drop the Lyon

Gnske

Has anyone listened to this:

https://player.fm/series/test-match...e-inside-story-of-the-2013-14-ashes-whitewash

It's brilliant, in particular the parts about facing Johnson and the interview with him. Apologies if posted already. Fair play to the English media - only the Beeb would produce a two hour programme talking about a series their team lost 5 zip.
Good find, only a bit through it so far. But in retrospect, Trott allowing himself to get smashed by the bowling machine on full should have been a clue he was a bit out of it.

Don't know if I'm being presumptuous as a new person on here, but shouldn't we start an Eng v Aus 1st Test thread by now? Only 4 days to go after all. Australia have nothing.

Starfighter

The way Lehmann's talking you'd think Marsh had way outperformed the other candidates. Perhaps he was looking at Ferguson's figures instead?

He'll probably score well enough to spite us and get another underserved year in the team. Particularly as he's being hidden down the order.