• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

Starfighter

They weren't up to Australia's usual 22 average leading fast bowler, but both were very good bowlers.
By 'usual' you mean McGrath, Davidson and Miller, since the war?

Yes I might be taking things too literally, but bowlers who can manage those figures are extremely rare. Even Lillee ended a tick under 24.

I'd call Siddle and Hilfenhaus good but they were only very good in patches I feel. Loved their performance against India in 11/12.

Lillian Thomson

S.Kennedy

Yes I listened to it awhile ago. David Saker (who was working for England) out in the middle before a test to some journo, ''they are all shitting their pants because of Johnson''.

Tangles

I was a fan of young Smith, Smith the underdog, Smith the teams best batsman and Smith the ugly Bradman. Smith the whiny captain has been grating on me. This new version of Smith the guy who dumps Nev, blacklists him, and wants only people he likes in the team is frustrating. Getting the best players for the strongest team should be the only goal for the Aussie captain.

Only really looking forward to watching Uzi bat and the bowling right now.

Compton

I hate Smith’s captaincy because of the gimpy-ass way he signals a DRS referral when fielding.

What happened to putting your right under-forearm against your left first? Smith’s hand-signalling a ‘T’ is ludicrous. Can only assume it stands for the teapot he was doing for the 10 overs prior.

Bijed

I don't think he knows anything about cricket to be honest. For example, picking Ballance as a likely pick when the same top 6 has played all the warmups.
I thought Ballance played in the first warmup? But yeah, if he was going to be in the 1st test he'd have played in at least 2 warmups (unless the selectors have totally lost the plot of course)

TheJediBrah

By 'usual' you mean McGrath, Davidson and Miller, since the war?

Yes I might be taking things too literally, but bowlers who can manage those figures are extremely rare. Even Lillee ended a tick under 24.

I'd call Siddle and Hilfenhaus good but they were only very good in patches I feel. Loved their performance against India in 11/12.
Like I said, they were acceptable Test bowlers but the point is that they signified a low-point in recent times when compared to McGrath, Gillespie, Lee beforehand, and Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins after

Adders

Like I said, they were acceptable Test bowlers but the point is that they signified a low-point in recent times when compared to McGrath, Gillespie, Lee beforehand, and Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins after
From an Aus pov are any of you concerned at the weight of expectation on Cummins?

I don't disagree with Brah's point here and I think Cummins is an exceptional talent and you all have every right to be very excited about him. But you're holding him up alongside some big names there and he's played 5 tests in 6 years and none in Australia. He's really being thrown in the deep end here I think with his first home test in an Ashes series........it is going to be a massive test on his character.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
If he's fit, he'll take wickets. No question about it.

His character and skill is fine, just needs to stay on the field for a whole series.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Cummins has only played 15 first class matches, 5 of which were tests.

That's insane for a guy who debuted in both tests and FC cricket in 2011.

Gob

From an Aus pov are any of you concerned at the weight of expectation on Cummins?

I don't disagree with Brah's point here and I think Cummins is an exceptional talent and you all have every right to be very excited about him. But you're holding him up alongside some big names there and he's played 5 tests in 6 years and none in Australia. He's really being thrown in the deep end here I think with his first home test in an Ashes series........it is going to be a massive test on his character.
Given how well he bowled on low slow Indian and Bangers wickets, i deffo expect him to do really well at home on bouncing wickets. Ofcourse injury can happen anytime

burr

I was a fan of young Smith, Smith the underdog, Smith the teams best batsman and Smith the ugly Bradman. Smith the whiny captain has been grating on me. This new version of Smith the guy who dumps Nev, blacklists him, and wants only people he likes in the team is frustrating. Getting the best players for the strongest team should be the only goal for the Aussie captain.

Only really looking forward to watching Uzi bat and the bowling right now.
I don't buy this 'Nev' black listing bs. If he'd scored runs he'd be in the test team. But he didn't. Just like he always doesn't. If he'd scored runs he'd have steered NSW into the SS final in 2016-17. But he didn't (score enough). Just like he always doesn't. He's destined for a life of mediocrity. Let us move on.

Starfighter

I don't think he knows anything about cricket to be honest.
That is abundantly clear.

I don't buy this 'Nev' black listing bs. If he'd scored runs he'd be in the test team. But he didn't. Just like he always doesn't. If he'd scored runs he'd have steered NSW into the SS final in 2016-17. But he didn't (score enough). Just like he always doesn't. He's destined for a life of mediocrity. Let us move on.
But Paine has scored the runs required to be selected? His career has not only been more mediocre from that pov but it's also been a lot more stop-start.

Midwinter

Its the inconsistency that is so annoying

After dropping Neville and bringing in Wade, Wade does worse than Neville for the next couple of tests but is retained.

Where is the consistency ?

Ferguson gets one test and is out. Maddinson gets three tests.

Annoying !

TheJediBrah

That is abundantly clear.

But Paine has scored the runs required to be selected? His career has not only been more mediocre from that pov but it's also been a lot more stop-start.
The selectors were pretty clear on the importance of these Shield games when it comes to contentious positions though. I think the term "anyone can put their hand up and be selected" or something similar was thrown around.

Paine may have not made 3 tons but he outscored the other candidates and that's at least one thing in the selectors favour.