• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - India v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Amirfan

I agree entirely. Henry's MOTM performance in the semi final doesn't counteract the fact that Southee can hit bigger sixes every now and then.
NZ need Southee for his power hitting If they can't score 300 Vs Aus it's game over and if they chase it will likely be 300+ as well. Southee in place of Henry and Munro in place of Guptill will give them that hitting depth. Harsh on Henry but horses for courses.

Greenlite

Is this what happiness feels like?????

Still pinching myself, 2 finals in 4.5 years!

Almost felt like we just played s*** for the last 4 years esp the last 3 games to let the other team's guard down. lol

Bahnz

NZ need Southee for his power hitting If they can't score 300 Vs Aus it's game over and if they chase it will likely be 300+ as well. Southee in place of Henry and Munro in place of Guptill will give them that hitting depth. Harsh on Henry but horses for courses.
Yes, because Australia romped to 350 in the last game these two teams played at Lords.

Greenlite

Agreed. He just seemed to be this passive, unable to follow instinct captain a few days ago.

He’s proved me wrong for sure.
I loved how he used our aces in blocks and saved them for the end but not the end end, second to last over can determine a match and put less pressure on neesham compared to the other way - less runs for Fergey/Boult to depend in the final over

Kane learnt from the mistakes over the last month and utlized his resources 99% perfectly =P maybe should have kept Santner on when Jadeja came in, that Neesham 6 gave them the momentum, but will never know, otherwise brilliant!

Amirfan

Yes, because Australia romped to 350 in the last game these two teams played at Lords.
They scored almost 250 despite their entire batting line-up failing which only reinforces my point.

Undoubtedly. It would've been so much better watching India thrash a listless Pakistan for the 47928th time in a World Cup match.
This thread is not about Pakistan. Let us discuss India Vs NZ :)

Burner

Kane entered this WC as a somewhat good while not being great ODI bat, maybe the second weakest of the so called fab 4, and now if he puts in a good showing at the final as well, it could be one of the greatest WC performance ever considering how little support he's had throughout the tournament.

Jezroy

Just so happy that the guys went to the plan that seemed ridiculous a day and a half ago.

"Jeez, this pitch isn't 280-300 at all! Let's just try and get to 240. No point in being bowled out for 210."

"Yeah. And I guess if we can nick a few out early, we'll have a real good chance"

I really didn't think we'd be good enough to make the final. I wondered before the World Cup if we'd be good enough to make the top 4. Was very salty about the build up, and the lack of experimentation.

But even with that, and with the poor form shown by most of our batting line up, here we go.

Think I'll take annual leave on Monday. I want to stay up all night Sunday

Greenlite

So happy that Matt got the MVP, he took a selfie with me and my 3 y/o girl in Hamilton vs India while he was fielding, it was like his "come back game" and last night i was able to tell my daughter that Uncle Matt won man of the match award

Now gonna change my FB profile pic to that selfie *tears coming out*

Last edited:

SteveNZ

:blink:

Seemed the most appropriate emoji.

Neil Young

Dramatic match in the end even if it wasnt high quality. As much as I wanted NZ to win vs India, I must admit their win makes me very salty.

Predictably Kohli and Sharma failed. They are great but metronomic players who just lack that little X Factor to win a WC knockout. This is where the likes of Inzamam, Viv and Gilchrist excelled. Kane Williamson was impressive. Congrats to NZ fans and players.

I really hope Aus win the WC from here.
Thought you'd be pleased, Amir. Laid to rest your wailing over our rained out game. We would have won it, see! You would have been knocked out even earlier. The rain kept Pakistan in, it didn't knock them out!

Thanks for the congrats, btw

Bahnz

They scored almost 250 despite their entire batting line-up failing which only reinforces my point.
Ok, so New Zealand's bowlers took early wickets against Australia the last time these teams played, so 300+ is a certainty?

And anyway, the Lord's slope suits Henry's style of bowling. He's also a heavy hitting lower order batsman. He has a better average and strike rate than Southee in ODI's. And in any case, do you seriously think even for a second that Southee's slogs are going to make any difference against Starc's 150k inswingers?

Agent Nationaux

Thought you'd be pleased, Amir. Laid to rest your wailing over our rained out game. We would have won it, see! You would have been knocked out even earlier. The rain kept Pakistan in, it didn't knock them out!

Thanks for the congrats, btw
Not really. If we are making assumptions about the washed out games, then Pak most likely would have beaten Sri Lanka. So it would have been England who would have been out with both Pak and NZ on 13 points each. With Pak on a lower NRR, you guys would have played against Aus.

Jezroy

Kane entered this WC as a somewhat good while not being great ODI bat, maybe the second weakest of the so called fab 4, and now if he puts in a good showing at the final as well, it could be one of the greatest WC performance ever considering how little support he's had throughout the tournament.
If Warner gets less than 10 and Australia gets eliminated, and Kane gets 101 or more in the final... Kane gets the most runs in World Cup 2019.

Didn't pick that.

Jezroy

Replay currently on Sky Sport in NZ. Bloody glorious.

Just about to start the Indian batting innings.

Neil Young

Not really. If we are making assumptions about the washed out games, then Pak most likely would have beaten Sri Lanka. So it would have been England who would have been out with both Pak and NZ on 13 points each. With Pak on a lower NRR, you guys would have played against Aus.
12 points each. But I was kind of referencing previous discussions with Amir'Fan with my post. Which is why I relied on baseless assertions and a little lack of logic.

Last edited:

Greenlite

Ok, so New Zealand's bowlers took early wickets against Australia the last time these teams played, so 300+ is a certainty?

And anyway, the Lord's slope suits Henry's style of bowling. He's also a heavy hitting lower order batsman. He has a better average and strike rate than Southee in ODI's. And in any case, do you seriously think even for a second that Southee's slogs are going to make any difference against Starc's 150k inswingers?
Almost forgot how Henry can pump a couple of 6s baseball style most of the time, his 4 vs Bangladesh late in the game was a crucial one too.

I can't remember the last time Southee hit more than 10 in an important ODI

If we want batting power we might as well have Munro batting at 9, he should be able to whack 50 with the old ball, and bowling tight overs with the new ball at a speed of 110-120km, that'll totally be better than Matt's 3 wickets upfront, eh, eh