• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agreed, and there are numerous better ways than the most boundaries rule. Higher position in the group stage works when the sides were in the same group. Back in the day, fewer wickets lost wasn't unreasonable.

btw something I noticed yesterday when one of the news programmes showed the Stokes six where Boult tread on the boundary marker just before throwing the ball back in play. The NZ player closest to Boult immediately indicated the six instead of trying to take the catch or just getting the ball back to the keeper to restrict the runs. No idea which player he was, but what a star.
Yep, can't argue with that can you. Class act.

Greenlite

I thought wonderful Guppy should have told Boult to jump or something when he was able to catch the ball. Sigh. =(

Burgey

Sharing the trophy is such a bad concept for me. Both sides would (rightly) feel like losers.

Leave that sort of thing for primary school sports days. Decide it however you want, but make sure it’s decided.
What's ****ed about how they decided it, apart from the obvious that England won, is they had a mechanism for deciding it which was perfect, but only decided to use it in a limited way. Just ****ing useless thinking. Be like getting to 5-5 in a penalty shootout then the ref blows full time in a WC final and awards it to one side on corners. The super over makes any other metric completely redundant, but they just didn't factor in using it multiple times if necessary.

Different story if the game is completely washed out - happy to award it to whoever finishes higher/ won their previous game against each other/ NRR/ whatever. But to have a situation where it's light til 10pm and at 7 o'clock you're pulling stumps and deciding a WC final other than on a wicket taken or runs scored off the last ball on the field is crazy bad. It's like kissing your sister.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What's ****ed about how they decided it, apart from the obvious that England won, is they had a mechanism for deciding it which was perfect, but only decided to use it in a limited way. Just ****ing useless thinking. Be like getting to 5-5 in a penalty shootout then the ref blows full time in a WC final and awards it to one side on corners. The super over makes any other metric completely redundant, but they just didn't factor in using it multiple times if necessary.

Different story if the game is completely washed out - happy to award it to whoever finishes higher/ won their previous game against each other/ NRR/ whatever. But to have a situation where it's light til 10pm and at 7 o'clock you're pulling stumps and deciding a WC final other than on a wicket taken or runs scored off the last ball on the field is crazy bad. It's like kissing your sister.
Yeah, I wonder what the rationale for not continuing the super over phase is.

I know it'd be a pain with fielders coming on and off, but could even go one ball at a time at that stage. Sudden death super ball.

trundler

Spare a word for Lockie Ferguson who was unheard of before this world cup. Was absolutely stunning at the death in both the semi final and the final. Bloke's the real deal.

Burgey

Yeah he is. NZ going to give a lot of cheek out here this summer if Boult, Henry and Ferguson are all fit and firing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mafia-enforced zoning rules IMO.

It would have been theoretically fine in this game, but it could be a problem in a lot of countries if they'd made the final a Day/Nighter. They could just make it a day game regardless for this eventuality I suppose.

trundler

Use the reserve day, then. No one cares if the super over is tied in the Singer Cup final but WC finals do have reserve days.

Flem274*

123/5
Spare a word for Lockie Ferguson who was unheard of before this world cup. Was absolutely stunning at the death in both the semi final and the final. Bloke's the real deal.
anyone who watched him knew he had something to him
Yeah he is. NZ going to give a lot of cheek out here this summer if Boult, Henry and Ferguson are all fit and firing.
only boult is in the test eleven atm of the trio. sri lankan and england test series could yet shift the pecking order. henry and ferguson would be the first reserves to southee and wagner right now.

i'd still like to see lockie add some swing bowling to his arsenal unless he plans on properly evolving into wagner 2.0

trundler

anyone who watched him knew he had something to him

only boult is in the test eleven atm of the trio. sri lankan and england test series could yet shift the pecking order. henry and ferguson would be the first reserves to southee and wagner right now.

i'd still like to see lockie add some swing bowling to his arsenal unless he plans on properly evolving into wagner 2.0
Yeah but he's been pretty phenomenal. One of the top performers with less than 30 ODIs behind him going in to the WC.

Spark

Global Moderator
Mafia-enforced zoning rules IMO.

It would have been theoretically fine in this game, but it could be a problem in a lot of countries if they'd made the final a Day/Nighter. They could just make it a day game regardless for this eventuality I suppose.
Isn't the explanation for all of this is that the super over was designed for T20 games and it's just been ported wholesale into ODIs without a great deal of thought about how it might need to be adapted? The boundaries rule, for instance, makes far more sense in the context of a T20 game than an ODI.

Spikey

I know it'd be a pain with fielders coming on and off, but could even go one ball at a time at that stage. Sudden death super ball.
dare I say it, the one hundred 10 ball over thing would be suitable for ODI superovers imo. just a bit more time to lower the odds of a tie without going overboard

Arachnodouche

No problem with the concept of super over(s). Could be a few more overs instead of just the one though; since it's the WC final, I wouldn't mind five extra overs per side tagged on at the very end.

The solitary super over provides great spectacle though so they should simply keep going until there's a winner.

Howsie

Haha I was wondering that. Six months ago he was bowling early to mid 150’s operating as one of the quickest bowlers in the world.