• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia is on fire.

Son Of Coco

Well we had someone nearby try to backburn around his Marijuana farm near Ebor and ended up almost burning the town down.
:laugh:

The almost burning the town down bit is obviously not funny, but I hope the local supermarket wasn't raised. There would've been a lot of hungry people about.

Adders

I think a lot of the fires have been human-caused, from what I've read in the news. I've heard of fires being lit deliberately—or occurring in such circumstances that it is likely—just yesterday, after all this has gone on elsewhere.
This is very sadly a thing for sure, but from what I've seen here and from my understanding of the Bush where a lot of our fires have started......I don't think that it's "the thing".

Would be too easy for those in charge and responsible for this catastrophe to hide behind that.

Well we had someone nearby try to backburn around his Marijuana farm near Ebor and ended up almost burning the town down.
Generally I'm not one to be a hang em from the nearest tree, but seriously.......i'd like to see a mandatory 20 years for ****s that light fires on total fire ban days, maliciously or just stupidly.

Gnske

:laugh:

The almost burning the town down bit is obviously not funny, but I hope the local supermarket wasn't raised. There would've been a lot of hungry people about.
Nah it's like two streets and the gas station is the general store afaik. I think a couple of sheds burned down but that was it.

The fire did get within probably 50m of the pub and housing. One of the fortunate saves I think. The September-November blazes seem so quaint now.

NotMcKenzie

This is very sadly a thing for sure, but from what I've seen here and from my understanding of the Bush where a lot of our fires have started......I don't think that it's "the thing".
No one thing is the thing but it's a big problem, and either way it makes difficult circumstances even more difficult by further extending the responding services; one can at least look at weather forecasts for example to see whether lightning may occur.

Son Of Coco

No one thing is the thing but it's a big problem, and either way it makes difficult circumstances even more difficult by further extending the responding services; one can at least look at weather forecasts for example to see whether lightning may occur.
It appears that quite a lot of the fires currently burning in Australia were started by lightning strikes though, and as far as predicting where the strikes may ignite the bush...you're talking about a massive area that could potentially be affected, so it would be a bit difficult. But yes, probably more predictable than someone randomly walking into an area and lighting a match.

Burgey

Blaming a lightning strike or an arsonist for these fires is the equivalent of saying your car works because you put the key in the ignition and not acknowledging the contribution of Karl Benz to the internal combustion engine.

It’s climate change which make it hotter, drier, the fuel therefore more combustible and the safe hazard reduction season consequentially shorter.

Son Of Coco

Blaming a lightning strike or an arsonist for these fires is the equivalent of saying your car works because you put the key in the ignition and not acknowledging the contribution of Karl Benz to the internal combustion engine.

It’s climate change which make it hotter, drier, the fuel therefore more combustible and the safe hazard reduction season consequentially shorter.
Agree 100%

morgieb

It's been terrible. There was a very lengthy period I didn't know what the sun looked like. I basically have to have the air-con on at all times as I can't open a window, lest dust not get in. We've been choking for like 2 months, and this is a major city. I can't even begin to imagine what the country peeps like Smith's family is going through. Just ****ed up and it feels like the beginning of a new, terrible era. It's the first time where I don't find Sydney an awesome place to be in summer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It was pretty eerie yesterday when Auckland turned orange like a scene from Bladerunner yesterday afternoon as the smoke from the aussie fires filled the sky.

Australia is 2000km away. How bad does it have to be that the smoke reaches us? Jesus.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The only unidentified flying object in NZ are our Test sumps flying over our heads from the other side of the Tasman.

GotSpin

How do these fires compare to 2008/09?

These fires seem to be further widespread and noticeable, particular in major cities, but the damage from 2009 was way worse

Burgey

Communication is so much better now than when Black Saturday happened. The sort of mass evacuations they had in Victoria last weekend are the result of implementing the findings of the Royal Commission held after those fires.

They've also done a lot of work nation wide in implementing revised danger scales,and the availability of apps like FiresNearMe helps enormously. Basically, a lot of the reasons less people have died is because of communication. As for loss of property. I think there's been more lost this time around, but if there hasn't I suspect it has a lot to do with many of these fires burning in national parks rather than in or near towns (though **** knows, there have been enough towns hit).

Gnske

Communication is so much better now than when Black Saturday happened. The sort of mass evacuations they had in Victoria last weekend are the result of implementing the findings of the Royal Commission held after those fires.

They've also done a lot of work nation wide in implementing revised danger scales,and the availability of apps like FiresNearMe helps enormously. Basically, a lot of the reasons less people have died is because of communication. As for loss of property. I think there's been more lost this time around, but if there hasn't I suspect it has a lot to do with many of these fires burning in national parks rather than in or near towns (though **** knows, there have been enough towns hit).
You know, I looked up Black Saturday in November just out of curiosity. I couldn't believe 168 people died even if the winds were gusting at something like 100 kph. Was it really just communication issues that led to greater disaster?

Burgey