• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia is on fire.

Adders

I never venture into this part of CW, so was really surprised when I went looking for discussion on the Bush Fire emergency that this beautiful country is facing right now, that there was no thread on it already.

To those outside of Aus, summer and fires are synonymous with each other here.....it's just a part of Aussie life. But make no mistake, what we are seeing here right now is unprecedented........half this country is burning. I live in East Gippsland and some communities here are in the midst of a living hell, I have family trapped in a small coastal town called Mallacoota waiting their turn to get on Navy boats to get them out of there. NSW/QLD has been burning for weeks....SA and Western Australia too.

I just wanted to leave this video here that came up on my FB this morning, to give you some idea of the tragedy we are facing and as testament to the amazing Aussie spirit in the direst of circumstances.

Stay safe everyone.

Edit:

Just seen the talk is all in the Aus politics thread. Of course this is a political situation but it's more than that too, so deserves it's own thread IMO

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just seen the talk is all in the Aus politics thread. Of course this is a political situation but it's more than that too, so deserves it's own thread IMO
Yeah most of the talk in that thread is about the political implicaitions of it, which is fine, but I think it's good to have a less politically charged thread to discuss it more generally too.
-------

I had some pretty stressful moments about friends and family members a few weeks ago when the fires were on the NSW midnorth coast; they ended up safe but some with some pretty signficant property damage. I hope your trapped family ends up okay!

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Today's update.

House: still there today
Parents: still alive

3 more friends lost their homes in various places around NSW. One of them a volunteer firefighter who just happened to be on holiday in Japan so couldn't even help.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That kangaroo burnt on the fence in the video really gets to me. I hate hearing about the huge number of wildlife lost.

It is really awesome to hear the various athletes showing their support. Well done to Kyrgios you jumped on board early, showed a lot of initiative and might finally have the Aussie support on his side.

honestbharani

Scary stuff. Stay safe CWers in Aus. And hope things get better real soon for everyone there.

Why are they reaching unprecedented levels now? IIRC same thing was happening in California in the US too. Got something to do with global warming and climate change?

Spark

Global Moderator
A water tank seems to have exploded in Cooma last night and flooded a whole bunch of houses. Really **** thing to have to deal with when you're on edge about fires.

Gnske

Scary stuff. Stay safe CWers in Aus. And hope things get better real soon for everyone there.

Why are they reaching unprecedented levels now?
Depends on who you ask. Lack of back burns, Greens committing acts of terrorism, climate change. Impossible to tell at the moment.

At least the cricket is good.

Adders

Why are they reaching unprecedented levels now? IIRC same thing was happening in California in the US too. Got something to do with global warming and climate change?
4 year drought, mismanagement of the forests, climate change, slashed budgets for emergency services. So all but one of those is down to human stupidity and incompetence.

Spikey

It's not that impossible really. This prediction was made almost 3 years ago.

https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/resources/cranking-intensity-report/
Gnske's post is, imo, making full of the arguments being put forward by the climate change denial side. I don't think Gnske seriously believes the members of the green party starting bushfires is a bigger issue than climate change

But yes, the 2008 Garnaut Climate Change Review had this to say

https://webarchive.nla.gov.au/awa/20190509072839/http://www.garnautreview.org.au/chp5.htm

NotMcKenzie

I think a lot of the fires have been human-caused, from what I've read in the news. I've heard of fires being lit deliberately—or occurring in such circumstances that it is likely—just yesterday, after all this has gone on elsewhere.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think a lot of the fires have been human-caused, from what I've read in the news. I've heard of fires being lit deliberately—or occurring in such circumstances that it is likely—just yesterday, after all this has gone on elsewhere.
Yeah this is true, but all the other issues have made them spread much more easily/quickly. Weird arsonists have always been a thing but being a successful weird arsonist is a lot easier at the moment.

NotMcKenzie

I'm not being mono-causal or anything, but it is quite depressing people can be alternatively this stupid or malicious

Gnske

Well we had someone nearby try to backburn around his Marijuana farm near Ebor and ended up almost burning the town down.