• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket related stuff that doesn't really deserve a thread

quincywagstaff

If only Gunner had some role in the game which allowed him to influence player behaviour.
This reminds me of Ian Chappell's regular criticism of modern umpires about how they don't step in when things go awry on-field. They rely on media pressure or match refs instead.

It's an inditement on Gould and other umps his statement.

TheJediBrah

Curious as to where this information came from, given that the Aussies were hardly moving the ball off the straight and the Saffers where the ones getting prodigious reverse swing. If the Aussie side of the story is to be given any credence the reason Warner brought out the sandpaper idea was because they thought (wrongly or rightly, who knows) that SA were doing already and they felt (wrongly) that it was justified.

edit: unless they're talking more about player behaviour rather than specifically ball tampering, because that would be a no-brainer. From memory they were pretty bad in the previous tests. Not that SA were much better mind you.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Curious as to where this information came from, given that the Aussies were hardly moving the ball off the straight and the Saffers where the ones getting prodigious reverse swing. If the Aussie side of the story is to be given any credence the reason Warner brought out the sandpaper idea was because they thought (wrongly or rightly, who knows) that SA were doing already and they felt (wrongly) that it was justified.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29014288/australia-control-ball-tampering-scandal-ian-gould

Daemon

It's general knowledge and hardly surprising that Australia were tampering for a while before they got caught. Anyone who thinks Newlands was the first time is extremely naive or Australian.

TheJediBrah

They must be the worst ball tamperers in history because they still couldn't get the ball to move an inch in the air that series

stephen

It wouldn't surprise me if Warner was trying to do it before that point but if he did he was the worst tamperer in the history of the sport.

Daemon

They must be the worst ball tamperers in history because they still couldn't get the ball to move an inch in the air that series
Watching the documentary now and they mention that Starc was reversing it in the first Test and was at times unplayable (according to Allan Border)

Holding mentions it too as does one of the commentators (not sure who but sounds like Mark Nicholas) and Haysman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKcvHAec6GM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Burgey

interesting that the latest article from that gould book on cricinfo's saying that the umpires suspected something about australia well before newlands

i thought it was a sting by the saffer television crew but apparently it was ump-backed
That would be even worse because you would want the umpires to get in and have it sorted to stop any disadvantage to the opposition, instead of waiting til they could set up a sting. That’s clearly a dereliction of their duty.

TheJediBrah

If you don't catch them in the act they might do it again though. They probably felt a "sting" was necessary to sort the issue.

Daemon

That would be even worse because you would want the umpires to get in and have it sorted to stop any disadvantage to the opposition, instead of waiting til they could set up a sting. That’s clearly a dereliction of their duty.
How is what they did a sting? They just said ok lets observe them closely because I think they're cheating.

Tom Flint

I don't think it's fair to just single out Australia for their on field behaviour. South Africa were just as bad and de kock mentioning warners wife's past is bang out of order however bad a bloke Warner is.
The ball tampering must have been going on for a while imo, Warner fielding at mid off with all those bandages on his hands was a real giveaway, then when he returned to the game he went straight back to second slip lol

Starfighter

Watching the documentary now and they mention that Starc was reversing it in the first Test and was at times unplayable (according to Allan Border)
IIRC he got a small amount but it was never even close to being unplayable. More like barely noticeable. Didn't take any wickets with it. I think the supposed amount of reverse Australia got in that series has become massively exaggerated since Newlands.

I maintain my stance that none of the ball tampering incidents over the past decade (with SA being the most systematic) would have happened if the Kookaburra ball wasn't a complete piece of ****. It's amazing that they can't make a machine-made ball as hard or well-wearing as a hand-made Dukes one.

stephen

It's the triple stitching of the dukes that keeps it together. Kookaburra should try to change their machining to do that.

Actually it's possible that kookaburra's machining is the real problem. When you do things by hand, some imperfections are to be expected, which would lead to movement. Maybe the kookaburra balls are too perfect to allow for swing. Though that doesn't explain how poorly they deteriorate.

Daemon

I don't think it's fair to just single out Australia for their on field behaviour. South Africa were just as bad and de kock mentioning warners wife's past is bang out of order however bad a bloke Warner is.
The ball tampering must have been going on for a while imo, Warner fielding at mid off with all those bandages on his hands was a real giveaway, then when he returned to the game he went straight back to second slip lol
Worth watching the documentary I linked earlier. Pretty much all of the commentators said the stump mics revealed how truly awful Australia were behaving. Don't think that single poor comment from de Kock makes SA just as bad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Worth watching the documentary I linked earlier. Pretty much all of the commentators said the stump mics revealed how truly awful Australia were behaving. Don't think that single poor comment from de Kock makes SA just as bad.
It wasn’t just the one bad comment though was it? Rabada’s ban then non-ban ramped the tension up.