• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

Spark

Global Moderator
I did actually know about the origins about that song, always found it really strange that an African-American spiritual became the default song of... English rugby, of all things. "Links to slavery" is a bit of an odd way to characterise it though, makes it sound like it was written by slaveowners or something when the exact opposite is true.

Uppercut

Yeah you could criticise them for lacking awareness of the song’s meaning, and I don’t usually need a second invitation to criticise ruggers, but this doesn’t seem like the right context for it to come up. Feel like it’s been shoehorned into the ‘X was actually racist all along!’ news story template when that’s not where it belongs.

Flem274*

123/5
it's rugby you cretins. what an awful country/hemisphere jfc. has the english rugby team, calls rugby 'rugger'. urgh. at least you have the decency to be on an island and separate yourself from the rest of humanity.

grecian

it's rugby you cretins. what an awful country/hemisphere jfc. has the english rugby team, calls rugby 'rugger'. urgh. at least you have the decency to be on an island and separate yourself from the rest of humanity.
Bloody hell, pretty sure it was called rugger before you lot even knew it existed, but glad you care a lot, most of us here couldn't give a ****, did we beat you recently in a rugger thing? Is that why you are angry?

Flem274*

123/5
Bloody hell, pretty sure it was called rugger before you lot even knew it existed, but glad you care a lot, most of us here couldn't give a ****, did we beat you recently in a rugger thing? Is that why you are angry?
im not angry im just disappointed.

your nation can't even understand the beauty of the sport they invented. sad.

Fuller Pilch

Of course its name is rugby. It didn't start at "Rugger" school, did it? I've always hated hearing the Twickenham crowd singing that song. It especially seems incongruous with a team which is full of African, Caribbean, and Polynesian heritage players. I wouldn't be surprised if Itoje is the next captain.

flibbertyjibber

Still bitter you got ****ed up the ass by us recently.

Cricket and Rugger, great to see.

Flem274*

123/5
Still bitter you got ****ed up the ass by us recently.

Cricket and Rugger, great to see.
was waiting for this. cute, you finally won a game of rugby against us. savour it, you won't manage it again in a world cup for a century.

i believe the recent cricketing history consists of england fluking a tie courtesy of two useless umpires, a lucky deflection and a kiwi allrounder before coming here and your lot bowling hawke club standard medium pace and blaming everyone but yourselves.

if it makes you happy then i guess that's a good thing.

flibbertyjibber

was waiting for this. cute, you finally won a game of rugby against us. savour it, you won't manage it again in a world cup for a century.

i believe the recent cricketing history consists of england fluking a tie courtesy of two useless umpires, a lucky deflection and a kiwi allrounder before coming here and your lot bowling hawke club standard medium pace and blaming everyone but yourselves.

if it makes you happy then i guess that's a good thing.
2 games we didn't lose. You did. Get over it loser,

grecian

**** me Flem has gone from a bland poster to be one of the most hilariously bitter ones I've ever known, I like it, it finally differentiates him from Athlai after all these years:laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got to say, last 10 posts or so is the most interesting this thread has been since, well I dunno probably whenever I last decided to argue with the drivel that gets spouted in here

Flem274*

123/5
2 games we didn't lose. You did. Get over it loser,
mate im pretty over it but it's quite fun to remind the english of your sporting place; below us. imagine having your only ever cricket wc trophy you will ever have be claimed by a lucky and some could even say incompetently officiated tie.

i think i'd rather lose to ireland in a group game.
**** me Flem has gone from a bland poster to be one of the most hilariously bitter ones I've ever known, I like it, it finally differentiates him from Athlai after all these years:laugh:
i dont think you're very good at interpreting posts, but then you do strike me as something of a pearl clutcher.