• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

GoodAreasShane

There is a bloke, me I think, who said if you have Haze and Starc you never pick Siddle. Ok - time for a back track. Edgbaston was pretty flat and Siddle bowled dry overs there. Also if its rainy then the chances of Siddle getting reamed over the 5 days are remote. His consistency should hold up against all the anticipated interruptions. If the weather is consigning the game to a draw then I'd rather risk Siddle's health playing it than either Starc or Haze.
Actually a fair point really. I freely admit I initially didn't think Peter Siddle should be picked at Edgbaston, but he was impressive with his consistency and reliability all throughout the Test. Still don't believe he is more naturally talented than Starc or Haze, (not these days anyway) but I have came to believe that Siddle has a big role to play this series for Australia as a horses for courses type selection. A dangerous customer with movement around, keeps it nice and tight when there is not.

Not to mention how valuable that 44 was

Burgey

Wicketless in four of his five past test match bowling innings. Agree he did a good job first test, but if he is not taking wickets regularly there will be times sooner rather than later where economy won't matter and his lack of penetration (ooh err, Vicar) won't stop a side racking up 500-600. I don't think that will happen this series though, as England's batting is utterly putrid.

India's batting line up is much stronger than England's and scored heavily out here on flat decks, but they didn't get away in terms of scoring rate from Starc/ Haze/ Cummins until they were cooked come the last test or so. I don't see why those blokes wouldn't be able to tie up the England line up in England, and take wickets as well. But I have no doubt Siddle will be picked and will take what the selectors and coach will again describe as all time great two fers and none fers.

morgieb

Wicketless in four of his five past test match bowling innings. Agree he did a good job first test, but if he is not taking wickets regularly there will be times sooner rather than later where economy won't matter and his lack of penetration (ooh err, Vicar) won't stop a side racking up 500-600. I don't think that will happen this series though, as England's batting is utterly putrid.

India's batting line up is much stronger than England's and scored heavily out here on flat decks, but they didn't get away in terms of scoring rate from Starc/ Haze/ Cummins until they were cooked come the last test or so. I don't see why those blokes wouldn't be able to tie up the England line up in England, and take wickets as well. But I have no doubt Siddle will be picked and will take what the selectors and coach will again describe as all time great two fers and none fers.
Yeah Siddle still worries me against a batting lineup that is actually good on a dead-ish deck. Probably wouldn't dump him right now, but I don't think he should be playing in Australia, for example.

the big bambino

I was only kidding anyway. Poor attempt at banter but that's all it was. I mean I've backtracked and would go with Siddle at Lords. Wouldn't be sad if he was dropped either btw. Of course Lillee was a great bowler and we all would pick him over Siddle in a comparison. I'm not a Lillee fan though. Once was but was left cold the way he treated Kim Hughes.

aussie tragic

"The wicket is really interesting. It looks like it’s going to be a really flat wicket,” Langer said. “It’s quite dry.” Siddle’s relative lack of pace could put him at risk of being dropped in favour of Hazlewood..."

And Mitchell Johnson is calling for Starc to replace Pattinson.

Must be nice having 5 bowlers rotate without weakening the attack too much.

Gob

"The wicket is really interesting. It looks like it’s going to be a really flat wicket,” Langer said. “It’s quite dry.” Siddle’s relative lack of pace could put him at risk of being dropped in favour of Hazlewood..."

And Mitchell Johnson is calling for Starc to replace Pattinson.

Must be nice having 5 bowlers rotate without weakening the attack too much.
Imagine when Jhye is fit

**** forecast btw

Burgey

Helps England's bats just as much. Roy, Bairstow, Buttler especially will be order of magnitudes more dangerous on a flat deck
Lol they had the flattest conditions of the match in Edgbaston and were kissed on their collective peckers getting as many as they did.