• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's tour to Pakistan unlikely

sideshowtim

Banned
It seems to me that the tour is becoming far more likely. Things have gone well in the last week or so in Pakistan and the players are all speaking as if the tour is going ahead. Good stuff.

howardj

Put the following article in Features on this issue, and that of the Bangladesh tour as well. I'd welcome any feed back.

http://www.cricketweb.net/blog/features/11.php
Enjoyed reading that.

Agree with the underlying point too- that the Australian team, and CA more generally, do like to cherry pick the fixtures that they play and the tours that they go on. It's laughable that we haven't toured Pakistan in ten years (going on fourteen if this tour gets canned).

Johnners

They'll tour. Wonder who will take Symonds' spot though? If Katich doesn't it will be a travesty imo.

howardj

They'll tour. Wonder who will take Symonds' spot though? If Katich doesn't it will be a travesty imo.

Even if Symonds does tour, The Kat should be a lock-in for the reserve batting spot- as he can open or bat further down.

Johnners

Given that Symonds has said he won't be touring no matter what, I hope the selectors don't pick him even if he goes back on that statement between now & the announcement of the touring side.

sideshowtim

Banned
Given that Symonds has said he won't be touring no matter what, I hope the selectors don't pick him even if he goes back on that statement between now & the announcement of the touring side.
He hasn't said that at all. After he made the comments that he "probably wouldn't" tour Pakistan, someone at CA must've had a chat to him as the next day he said if CA said it was safe to go, he would probably go.

Fusion

Global Moderator
He hasn't said that at all. After he made the comments that he "probably wouldn't" tour Pakistan, someone at CA must've had a chat to him as the next day he said if CA said it was safe to go, he would probably go.
Yeah he backtracked after Ponting said he'd be in breach of contract if he didn't tour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I maintain I don't know how "uncommon" this really is, but I'd certainly say I'd not be exactly keen on travelling to Pakistan myself right now. That might say I'm sensible, that might say I'm uninformed.

Whatever it is, it's clearly a sentiment shared by lots of Australia and I presume most people who have little to no understanding of life in Pakistan.

social

I maintain I don't know how "uncommon" this really is, but I'd certainly say I'd not be exactly keen on travelling to Pakistan myself right now. That might say I'm sensible, that might say I'm uninformed.

Whatever it is, it's clearly a sentiment shared by lots of Australia and I presume most people who have little to no understanding of life in Pakistan.
Bingo!

Conduct a random world-wide poll and I doubt that more than a few per cent of people in western countries would travel anywhere near Pakistan at the best of times

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bingo!

Conduct a random world-wide poll and I doubt that more than a few per cent of people in western countries would travel anywhere near Pakistan at the best of times
There is a difference between travelling to a random country that isn't known for it's tourists attractions and putting on a baggygreen and representing your country.

The tour is an important one and it's really annoying that we won't be going to Pakistan. :@

Sanz

Bingo!

Yeah like that proves anything.

Go Ahead and please do take a survey of people who are willing to quit their jobs if it requires them to travel to Pakistan once in 4 years.

social

Yeah like that proves anything.

Go Ahead and please do take a survey of people who are willing to quit their jobs if it requires them to travel to Pakistan once in 4 years.
Firstly, they dont have to quit,

Secondly, they are hardly Robinson Crusoe

I had dinner with last night with a guy whose company has BILLIONS tied up in development in Pakistan.

They havent been there in months because their partners cant guarantee their safety

Guess who their partners are - THE FRIGGIN' ARMY

Last edited:

social

There is a difference between travelling to a random country that isn't known for it's tourists attractions and putting on a baggygreen and representing your country.

The tour is an important one and it's really annoying that we won't be going to Pakistan. :@
Just why is it soooooo important?

Generally, 2 men and a dog turn up to test cricket in Pakistan

You cant seriously be suggesting that the tour will revive the country's interest in the game or rescue the Board's finances?

If the state of cricket in Pakistan was so bad then surely their good buddies next door wouldnt have knocked back the invitation to play a few high revenue ODIs