• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever ODI XI

chicane

tooextracool said:
it varies from bowler to bowler. some bowlers need pace while others dont. generally taller bowlers(mcgrath,walsh,caddick etc) dont need pace and tend to last longer in world cricket because they get more out of a wicket than a shorter bowler would. whereas bowlers like gough,donald and waqar were never really the same once they had lost that extra pace that they had. a combination of pace and accuracy can be deadly and those are the bowlers that tend to be amongst the elite.
coming back to klusener, klusener went from bowling at around 90 mph to bowling at 75 mph. thats a major drop of pace and unless you are playing in english conditions, i dont care how accurate you are, you wont be a successful pacer. look at martin bicknell, ealham etc they are accurate but without the pace they are nothing. generally to be a successful pacer you at least need to bowl at 80mph and then be accurate.
80 mph is nothing...evn douglas hondo and tapash baisya bowl at 80 mph. If you're talking real pace it's around 87 mph and above. You are right about bowlers who have lost their bite after losing pace, but swing and bounce can compensate for it ala Wasim and Waqar. A top bowler should have two of either pace, swing or bounce. Nothing compensates for accuracy, a top bowler has to be on target.

Ford_GTHO351

twctopcat said:
I'm sure alot of Sober's fan's would like to argue that point with regards to best overall player ever. I think even Bradman once said that Sobers was the best cricketer he had ever seen, in terms of all round game.
I wasn't meaning overall player as in being a great batsman & bowler (allrounder) eg. Sobers. I meant the best ever player.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
twctopcat said:
didn't Sobers play a knock one time which left Bradman saying " i wish i could play like that".

Probably, but he said that about others as well (Arthur Morris (?) in the 30s) - beckoned the team onto the balcony to watch "the best batting they'd every see"

Ford_GTHO351

marc71178 said:
Probably, but he said that about others as well (Arthur Morris (?) in the 30s) - beckoned the team onto the balcony to watch "the best batting they'd every see"
It was Stan McCabe :)

a massive zebra

marc71178 said:
How could it be Arthur Morris in the 30s, he made his debut in 1946.

honestbharani

I still think Sobers is the best cricketer ever and Bradman is the best batsman ever...It keeps things in perspective and keeps them simple too.

delkap

Best ODI XI

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Adam Gilchrist (w.k)
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Viv Richards
5. Brian Lara
6. Rahul Dravid
7. Shaun Pollock
8. Wasim Akram (Capt)
9. Shane Bond (according to his form last year, and his career so far)
10. Mutthiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

12th Man: Jacques Kallis

Extras: Shane Warne, Courtney Walsh, Mark Waugh, Saurav Ganguly(first choice captain)

neilm

What i cant believe is that hardly anyone has gone for Ganguly. Over 20 one day centuries, and he's a handy bowler as he showed against pakistan back in 1997, by winning 4 consecutive MOM awards. Remeber people back in 2000, when Ganguly was at his prime, he was the best ODI batsman in the world.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but that is a brief period in a long career,

There are others who have had more successful careers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

delkap said:
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Adam Gilchrist (w.k)
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Viv Richards
5. Brian Lara
6. Rahul Dravid
7. Shaun Pollock
8. Wasim Akram (Capt)
9. Shane Bond (according to his form last year, and his career so far)
10. Mutthiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

12th Man: Jacques Kallis

Extras: Shane Warne, Courtney Walsh, Mark Waugh, Saurav Ganguly(first choice captain)
Er Bevan anyone?

_Ed_

Surprised to see no one including Imran Khan in their XIs, he was a fairly handy ODI player and captain wasn't he?

delkap

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Er Bevan anyone?
IMO
Dravid is now better than what Bevan was in his prime. Dravid plays very much the same game, but is more reliable, a far better defensive player against anyone and keeps wickets (even if I hv Gilchrist, a subst could come handy). No way in hell Bevan beats him based on Dravids form since 2003...

Rest: Sachin, Ponting, Richards and Lara are far better than Bevan too IMO

wpdavid

I haven't time to check the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned Joel Garner? If not ...

And, FWIW, Clive Lloyd's knock in the 1975 WC Final is the finest oneday innings I have ever seen, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily make him one of the best XI ever.

Muddaser

pakistan all time ODi XI

Saeed Anwar
Majid Khan
Inzamam Ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Imran Khan
Wasim Bari
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Saqlain Mushtaq

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
delkap said:
No way in hell Bevan beats him based on Dravids form since 2003...

No, because at his peak, Bevan only averaged 60 (the next highest being about 47)

I couldn't agree more with you.