• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricrate: Revamped Team ratings

viriya

I had barely paid attention to the team ratings in the site before, but since it affects player ratings and cricodds I decided to revisit it. Two big changes:
- Account for home/away matches: higher credit for winning away (lower penalty for losing), higher penalty for losing at home (lower credit for winning). Separate home/away ratings in addition to the existing overall ratings to better understand a team's strength.
- Exponential smoothing past matches: this results in faster decaying of past ratings - required because team make-ups change drastically over a short period of time. Previously some teams had inflated ratings from performances 5+ years before.

I'm pretty happy with the results:

An average team should have a rating around 500. >700 is ATG level, 800+ rarely ever happens (only happened with WI team in the 1980s and the Aus team in the early 2000s in Tests).
One of the biggest differences between home and away ratings right now is with Australia in ODIs. At home they are ATG level (782), outside they are only slightly above average (525).

I expect this to now be better than the ICC ratings, mainly because of accounting for home/away, but also because of the exponential smoothing decay setup not requiring annual resets that change the ratings abruptly (like it does with the ICC ratings).

viriya

Afghanistan > Australia in T20 and they still don't have a flag
The ICC ratings don't have Hong Kong above the West Indies in ODIs.

Be honest here - you don't think it needs a tweak?
Aus has been consistently weak in T20Is. WI has also been weak in ODIs. Not saying that they should be lower than HK/Afg but they should be in the lower end.

Part of the reason teams like HK are not right at the bottom is because they all start at 500.. maybe I should move the "starting" rating to 400..

Last edited:

viriya

Afghanistan > Australia in T20 and they still don't have a flag
The ICC ratings don't have Hong Kong above the West Indies in ODIs.

Be honest here - you don't think it needs a tweak?
Changed the default starting rating to 350 for all formats. Makes sense for a new team to be designated below average, and also fixes some of the anomalies.
cricrate | Current Ratings - ODI Team
cricrate | Current Ratings - T20I Team

Thanks for pointing this out :)