• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Death threats sees speaker pull out of Australia tour

watson

Banned
They do have people from both sides. That was my point.

I'd hate to have all lefties on the panel. If there were, we'd be deprived of the right to laugh at people like Daisy Cousens and Helen Andrews. Although in saying that, I only laugh meekly at Andrews as the serial killer hairdo and glasses make me a little uneasy.

Who brought up Chickarovski?

And lastly, **** me dead this is painful and I'm not surprised you vote for the right side of politics.

The narrative to come out of the Trump election was the left had lost because they won't sit down and have a conversation with the right. I knew at the time it was a ****ing joke...it would just result in an endless circle of mind-numbing conversations like this one.

The most intelligent people I know vote left (and the least intelligent, well, you know where this is going,). I'll stick with the smart folk.

That's not to say there are no intelligent voters on the right, but I just personally don't believe it's possible to do so unless you either believe we're being invaded by Muslims, are an aspirational voter, or have more to gain personally than the nation does as a whole.
The 'Left' lost in the US because it's not really the Left anymore but ultra-capitalists and free-marketeers just like the traditional Reagan and Bush Republicans. We know that because the Obama administration sent no Wall Street bankers to gaol after the GFC despite a mountain of white-collar crime.

As a result they lost the vote of their traditional constituency, the blue collar worker.

So the political paradigm isn't really Left V Right anymore because the traditional Left vacated the premises 20 years ago, but rather Globalist V Nationalist.

Last edited:

brockley

No one said we are being invaded by Muslims.
8-)
And I know Indians,Chinese and the English are our main migrants.

I just hold suspicion of Islam,because of the literalists,that exist in Islam,and also in Australia.
As a liberal Pentacostal,I am aware where literalism has its down side.
You can believe the gospels without being a ****head about it.

watson

Banned
****ing hell
If an individual becomes upset and angry when someone insults his religion or God then the only plausible explanation as far as I can see is that they are living in some kind of fantasy. That is, because they perceive their God to be hurt or insulted in some way they themselves become angry and upset on his behalf. If there is another explanation then please let me know.

If the fantasy is so heavily embedded to the point of delusion then the following type of behaviour sometimes happens;

ISIS claims responsibility for Palm Sunday church bombings in Egypt
Palm Sunday bombings kill dozens at churches in Egypt - CNN.com
After all, only a deluded person living a fantasy would bother to blow-up a crowded Church that belongs to an already persecuted minority who pose no threat.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If an individual becomes upset and angry when someone insults his religion or God then the only plausible explanation as far as I can see is that they are living in some kind of fantasy. That is, because they perceive their God to be hurt in some way they themselves become angry and upset on his behalf. If there is another explanation then please let me know.

If the fantasy is so heavily embedded to the point of delusion then the following type of behaviour sometimes happens;

After all, only a deluded person living a fantasy would bother to blow-up a crowded Church that belongs to an already persecuted minority who pose no threat.
That's because you're really ****ing dumb.

Uppercut

The restriction of the word "racism" of being only about skin colour is very peculiar to the West tbh—not even the West, but America in particular. Most places in the world make no real mental distinction between the words race and ethnic (or ethno-linguistic) group, and religion plays heavily into the latter.

Some of the stuff my relatives say about Chinese is textbook racist, for example, but you'd be hard-pressed to explain it in terms of skin colour or physical features (nor, incidentally, could you make a convincing argument based on power structures)
I would definitely draw a line between elements of identity that are chosen and those that aren't. The West has this one right imo.

I'm not really convinced that you can have a society with no outgroup. Is there an example of one that doesn't? They always seem to pop up somehow. As if the need for someone to feel superior to is just a basic human need.

Bearing that in mind, it's important that there are theoretical 'solutions' to the outgroup that aren't mass murder or total segregation. Hirsi Ali ultimately wants to convert all the Muslims. She won't, but she's free to try. When someone believes a simple story in which black people are the baddies, what's the end goal?

watson

Banned
That's because you're really ****ing dumb.
I've always thought that lawyers are disconnected from reality as well.

Charging $400+ per hour to do little more than to play with words and obfuscate something is sheer lunacy.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I would definitely draw a line between elements of identity that are chosen and those that aren't. The West has this one right imo.

I'm not really convinced that you can have a society with no outgroup. Is there an example of one that doesn't? They always seem to pop up somehow. As if the need for someone to feel superior to is just a basic human need.

Bearing that in mind, it's important that there are theoretical 'solutions' to the outgroup that aren't mass murder or total segregation. Hirsi Ali ultimately wants to convert all the Muslims. She won't, but she's free to try. When someone believes a simple story in which black people are the baddies, what's the end goal?
I don't think that Hirsi Ali 'ultimately wants to convert all the Muslims' as it were. Instead it is more likely that she is engaging in a political struggle against the religious ideology that sexually assulted her and cut off her clitoris. And that's fair enough in my book.

Of course Islamists will try and obfuscate the issue by blurring the boundary between 'Muslim' and 'Islam' so that they seem to be exactly the same thing. The political advantage for the Islamist is that an attack on 'Islam' is automatically perceived as being an attack on individual Muslims.

However, Islam is little more than an 'ideological meme' that travels from one person's brain to another. It is not the person themself despite the Muslim often feeling like it is.

The Islamist's claim is just another sleight-of-hand deception designed to fool people.

Last edited:

Burgey

I've always thought that lawyers are disconnected from reality as well.

Charging $400+ per hour to do little more than to play with words and obfuscate something is sheer lunacy.
Who only charges $400 per hour? JFC man.